Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering why Mazda states not to use fuel additives in the MS3. I can't think of a good reason why not to; besides the direct injectors.

Off the shelf octane boosters leave your spark plugs weird colors. That I can understand.

I have used Toluene in the past with much success. In My Miata I had a fuel map for 100LL AvGas and toluene that I would load when I went to the track (I miss my MegaSquirt standalone). Now that I have cats (and wish to keep one of them) I wont run leaded gas. So that leaves Toluene.... Does anyone know the real reason Mazda has this disclaimer?

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
I would rather just buy a 5 gallon can of 100 and call it good

No additives should be needed in any car under 30,000 or better yet 50,000

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probably throw in some unleaded race gas for track days (for nothing more than safety)
But I am mostly concerned with octane boosters over other fuel additives.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's just a blanket disclaimer to cover their ass, that's all.

For every one enthusiast who has experience and knows what they're doing, there's 10 or 20 others that don't have a clue. So just to protect themselves from legal trouble, they include a blanket "no-no" statement, just in case an ignorant fella doesn't mess up the vehicle with the "latest and greatest HP adder".

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree. I've never seen anything but positive results from a Toulene tank of gas, as far as power goes. Turbo engines are like that. The one thing I am curious about is what race gas does in a DISI engine. I imagine not much changes, except for a more even burn/less detonation/whatever, but who knows. This is all foreign territory to me. I guess there's only one way to find out......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts