Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am bored (out of my wits) at home (back injury at work) and have been doing much research on the mods for the MS3. I think I will be going semi-nuts on this car when I see some quality parts and their reliability (time will tell). Anyone else...? I want a sleeper that is somewhat scary when the gas is stomped!

CAI, Downpipe, Cat back, Larger TMIC or FMIC?, COBB or XEDE?, BOV, Frame and suspension mods, wheels and tires, Mild body mods, Brake upgrades when avail., shift kit. (I know it is not a sleeper but it is still a 4 door hatch, not a Supra with a big wing). 8) 8) 8)

Just seeing if anyone is feeling the same (mods that is)?

Joe in RI

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I am looking at getting 300 whp without upping boost... then crank boost to 18psi and see what i get... 350 Whp is my target.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I'm trying to keep it sleeper as well. CAI, BOV, Xede, ETS TMIC should take care of me. If not we'll go from there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
[quote author=Wizno link=topic=66926.msg1149113#msg1149113 date=1168798445]
I'm trying to keep it sleeper as well. CAI, BOV, Xede, ETS TMIC should take care of me. If not we'll go from there.
[/quote]

:werd:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all,

The FMIC will involve cutting...I was under the car and hood doing investigative work and there is little to no room...The only room is under th airbox where the CAI is going to occupy. Who knows maybe someone will make it happen...just my 2 cents.

Joe

·
Registered
229 Posts
IMO, an upgraded TMIC with a thermal barrier between it and the motor would be the best way to go. Obviously you'd still have the heatsoak concern if you were stopped at a traffic light for an extended period of time, but as far as efficiency goes it would be hard to beat. Much less piping, so boost drop wouldn't be as severe, not to mention an overall larger surface area unless you go with a rediculously oversized FMIC. I'm personally not at all concerned about stop and go traffic and heatsoak anyway, in my area, there are no traffic lights on roads that are any fun to drive. :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd like to have that Tokyo show yellow version body kit on my car.

I'll probably only do shifter bushings, engine mounts and XEDE/Cobb/Other when all the choices are there. And maybe new wheels later on, but will be last.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
the way i understand it if you plan on boosting over factory your going to want a FMIC...besides getting rid of the TMIC might pave way for a normal MZ3 CF hood...less weight yay! but thats expensive and would take some clay after the TMIC gets removed. i need to get this car fast.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The prospective first "stage" will be:

1) Downpipe w/manual cut-out

2) [Cobb] AP

3) CAI

4) AWR Mount

5) TMIC

I think that should make for a very competent setup initially.

The next mods after that would be wheels, quality tires, and suspension-related items. I'm just waiting for more suspension options to be released. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be getting much attention in that area yet.

Eventually, a turbo upgrade will be in order. And at some point, I'm sure I'll want to remove some interior bits.

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=Coulda link=topic=66926.msg1149227#msg1149227 date=1168803533]
the way i understand it if you plan on boosting over factory your going to want a FMIC...besides getting rid of the TMIC might pave way for a normal MZ3 CF hood...less weight yay! but thats expensive and would take some clay after the TMIC gets removed. i need to get this car fast.
[/quote]

I was thinking about the lighter hood. AT first I thought it was a good idea.. but then I realized, we have a front wheel drive car. Better to have the extra weight up front holding the wheels down.

the FMIC may never come to be. Many companies are trying and so far all have failed. Not only cutting, but problems with the ECU and such seeing too much airflow and throwing CEL's. We think we can eliminate it by adding the XEDE but i'm pretty sure most people wont be jumping at a $2000 intercooler/XEDE combo.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I have never known anyone to want to add weight to the front even if it is a fwd car. I imagine losing a bit of weight over the engine would improve handling, and not take away from traction to make it detrimental. I think there would be interest in a cf hood, perhaps one with a mild scoop or something.

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=66926.msg1149569#msg1149569 date=1168816394]
I have never known anyone to want to add weight to the front even if it is a fwd car. I imagine losing a bit of weight over the engine would improve handling, and not take away from traction to make it detrimental. I think there would be interest in a cf hood, perhaps one with a mild scoop or something.
[/quote]

It was just a thought. :)

I loved the idea of a nice CF hood with some kind of scoop/vents (Evo).

·
Registered
727 Posts
i dont know about anybody else but my plans for modding this car to the fullest include packing it upi and shipping it to opera performance for liposuction lol. after all that work ill start on the performance

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had the EXEDE for over 3 thousand miles. No problems and no CEL. You would think it was stock except for the power and the smile on my face. Next week should be the IC top or maybe front, CAI, and possible exhaust mods. Then back to the dyno. I am very satisfied. I do not know how many more mods after that are worth the time or money. Tires will be needed. That is from a 60 year old guy that put a rotary (13b) in a Lotus 7. Maybe I'm just getting old.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
[quote author=1967abarth link=topic=66926.msg1155184#msg1155184 date=1169089216]
I have had the EXEDE for over 3 thousand miles. No problems and no CEL. You would think it was stock except for the power and the smile on my face. Next week should be the IC top or maybe front, CAI, and possible exhaust mods. Then back to the dyno. I am very satisfied. I do not know how many more mods after that are worth the time or money. Tires will be needed. That is from a 60 year old guy that put a rotary (13b) in a Lotus 7. Maybe I'm just getting old.

[/quote]

You and your wife have racked up some miles. Your timing on going back to BEGI is good since the CP-E CAI is just about to ship. Be very interesting to see how the Xede works with that CAI. They got a 15hp/20ft-lb gain with the CAI alone, but I wonder how it will be with the Xede already leaning out the A/F mix.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Why dosent someone take some video of a MS3 with exede going throught the gears. I would like like to see what kind of a diffrence it makes. 1st and 2nd mainly. Roll on also. Maybe a boost pattern also. Its gonna be nice to see some track times or 0-60 numbers vs stock also. Thank you drive though.

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=redms3gt link=topic=66926.msg1155663#msg1155663 date=1169127273]
Why dosent someone take some video of a MS3 with exede going throught the gears. I would like like to see what kind of a diffrence it makes. 1st and 2nd mainly. Roll on also. Maybe a boost pattern also. Its gonna be nice to see some track times or 0-60 numbers vs stock also. Thank you drive though.
[/quote]

I will try. I need to get someone to hold the camera in the back seat. Its still raining off and on here. Hard to plan it out .

Drag races on the 20th.. pending weather.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts