Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had there transmission make a knock/tapping noise? ive noticed if you hold the clutch it you can hear it a little, and its kinda a random/spuratick kind of thing, but when you let the clutch out its a constant noise. kinda of sounds like two piece's of hollow metal tapping on each other, or a marble rolling around around the inside of the transmission. any thought would help, think im getting a little paranoid about it.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
mine does it. its loud in a drive-thru

I think its the clutch plate

When my friend got a stg3 performance clutch on his srt4 he drove it home and immediately noticed it was making a noise similar to ours except it was real loud. sounded like engine knock. he brought it back to the mechanic and they said that they always make noise like that due to their construction...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine was like that since day one.. Hold down the clutch, no noise.. Release clutch, you hear it rattle/knock a little. Pretty much normal with most heavy duty performance clutches.. At least it was the same in my previous vehicles...

·
Registered
149 Posts
its the throwout bearing most likely, there was another thread about this not too long ago. On the other thread people concluded that the throwout bearing on speed 3 is loud, and that its nothing to worry about. When u hold the clutch in neutral the noise goes away because it puts pressure on the bearing and when u take ur foot off there is no pressure on it. In mine it sometimes is louder than others and im not sure why this is.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=mario8402 link=topic=138116.msg2977770#msg2977770 date=1236277905]
mine does it. its loud in a drive-thru

I think its the clutch plate

When my friend got a stg3 performance clutch on his srt4 he drove it home and immediately noticed it was making a noise similar to ours except it was real loud. sounded like engine knock. he brought it back to the mechanic and they said that they always make noise like that due to their construction...
[/quote]

i no man i thought i had hit the point of bending rods!!!

and mine has the grind like others stated in the other post, but they never mentioned the marble sound so i was j.w if people had that issue as well. i ruled it out as not being rod knock to to the fact it wasent repetative enough with the rpm, that and it wasent loud enough. thanks for the replies though, i can sleep at night now

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
It is, in fact the Release Bearing, or the "Throw-out bearing". Mine has done this just about since I got the car and the weather got cold. I'm curious to see how is it in the warmer weather, as it IS more pronounced in cold climates.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
[quote author=i love jdm hoes link=topic=138116.msg2977959#msg2977959 date=1236282915]
It is, in fact the Release Bearing, or the "Throw-out bearing". Mine has done this just about since I got the car and the weather got cold. I'm curious to see how is it in the warmer weather, as it IS more pronounced in cold climates.
[/quote]

Sounds the same during the summer, I live in SoCal... it reached upwards of 115, some weeks, during the summer last year. I've had my MS3 for just over a year now and the sound is consistent from the 30 to 115 degree temps we get out here.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
[quote author=Colombia28 link=topic=138116.msg2979325#msg2979325 date=1236324293]
I never noticed it with my 3, but i do hear/notice it all the time with my ms3. It pretty much disappears when i put the clutch in. Glad to hear its normal.. no pun intended.
[/quote]

Where is the pun?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ive always heard its the dual mass flywheel? Anybody else that can second that? It got really fuckin loud when i put my trz solid trans mount on, to the point that i finally took it off i just got fed up with the constant vibes and on/off function of the clutch with really no in between.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i think its actually the input shaft bearing. if you rev the engine up with the clutch out, it takes longer to "spin-down" than if the engine is just at idle and you let out the clutch

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well today was a nice day outside, so i decided to start the car and go hunting!! but it led me to think it has nothin to do with the tranny anymore :( the sound seems to be coming from the Left(passenger) side of the motor, towards the back sorta. I keep thinking that something is tapping up against something else, but i cant seem to get it to stop no matter what i put my hand on to stop moving.

now tell me if this sounds crazy or not, but dosent the turbo constanly spin even at idle? i noticed when i put my inlet on the there was a little shaftplay in in the turbo, so could it possibly be the exhaust portion of the turbo hitting against the wall as it spins? i cant grip it but the whole flywheel/TOB dosent make sense anymore.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i began to hear this exact same noise this weekend (in very hot weather, in stop and go traffic). sounds like a (deep) rattle-can type noise, and random. either in neutral with the clutch out or in gear with the clutch in. we're taking it to the dealer tomorrow (2,500 miles on the odo)

d

1 - 20 of 29 Posts