Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess I will add my piece to this now that I have finally purchased my '09 GT V6. I only have a test drive to base my opinion on; it will still be 4 - 5 weeks (latest) before I take delivery. The reason for that is based on my colour choice, light ice blue metallic. Very hard to find in stock, they seem to be made to order only.

Based on my test drive, the power delivery is exceptional you really feel the torque when accelerating. In terms of handling and sportiness it is hard to compare to previous gen Mazda 6 since I didn't have a chance to really push it. The ride is exceptionally, I would probably agree with the reviews that it is not as sporty as the previous gen due to its larger dimensions and increased weight, but still sportier than its competitors.

Front headroom is good, rear headroom is not so good, that might be because I am rather tall (6’4”), you are forced to tilt your head forward. I think anyone six feet or under would be perfectly comfortable in the back. This is very minor to me though since I will hardly ever be in the back. The seats front and back are very comfortable, leg room as well is plenty spacious. The interior quality, fit and finish is near if not at luxury levels, very impressed with that.

I wish I could provide a more detailed experience, but my encounter was very brief, but enough to make an effective decision.

In conclusion, this is a lot of car for the price you pay. For what you get you could easily expect to pay $10,000 or more in an Audi, BMW, Lexus or Mercedes. So if you are badge whore, avoid this car and pay the unnecessary price premium.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Ice Blue Metallic is my wife's favourite that's shown in the 6 brochure - nice choice!
I can't find this color in any of the local dealer lot inventory and the dealers paint chips don't give an acurate idea on the whole car. The closest I compared was a silver blue hue offered on the Lexus iS250. Can you please post pics when your car arrives or any you come across?
I'll probably go with the Kona!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Receive the car yet?

I'm seeing less buzz about the net than I expected for such a striking new design. Interested in reading others' impressions.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen a couple on the road now... the lexus-styling is kind of annoying, but it's still a nice car. But I would like to hear from somebody that actually owns one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Lexus like styling on the 2009 Mazda 6 is a definite headturner and a huge improvement over the previous generation 6. It's a real standout from the conservative pack in this class. I purchased the 6iGT auto with luxury package in ice blue immediately after finally seeing it on my dealers showroom floor. The colour sample shown in the brochure isn't even close to the actual ice colour and most dealers never had one available to look at. I was leaning towards the Kona Blue until I saw the Ice. To me this colour best excentuates the overall lines and the sheer size of the vehicle. I think it's Mazda's best look ever!

The equipment offered on the 2009 is outstanding: I have the Bose 6 pack CD with Sirius radio, driver and passenger power seats with memory, bluetooth and iPod/MP3 integration, push button start with smart key, power moonroof, heated leather seats, HID's, automatic, trip computer, rain sensing wipers, ect ect. I road tested and evaluated the 2010 Mazda3 (fugly front styling, tight passenger leg room, higher finance rates), Honda Accord (more expensive, lower kit, no real incentives), Altima (hated the CVT), Camry (Plain vanilla BORING, it's already a used car), Saturn Aura (GM troubles and less kit), Maxima (slightly too much $$ but what a machine!).

I have the GT 18" wheels and was concerned about potholes damaging the rims so I had wheel protection insurance included in the purchase that covers me with full replacement on wheels and tires even if I add aftermarket rims. I would have liked increased thigh support on the front seats but they are quite comfortable so far. Mazda's interior choices are attractive with soft textures and reduced hard plastics over the previous generation with brushed aluminum highlights. The trunk volume is class leading as is the interior room with increased shoulder and legroom over anything else in this class. The split folding rear seats with pass through are a nice touch with a fold mechanism from the trunk that allows the seats to fold flat when carrying aditional gear.

I had customized settings applied at PDI including headlight auto off, smart turn signal 3X flash and sound volume, automatic entry illumination duration, keyless entry adjust, and various smart key settings.

I have less than 1200 kms on it so far but gas mileage and performance are improving.

The auto transmission sport setting gets the revs up when you need it - Mazda should have included paddle shifters on the steering wheel but at least the console shift setup is closest to a manual shifter; pull back to shift up and forward to shift down - as it should be. I'm amazed that many other brands do this in reverse. I guess those folks never drove a standard. This is my first automatic car in a long time. I choose it because 1) I drive more in heavy traffic 2) I feel the image of a full size sedan warrants an automatic particularly at trade-in 3) my oldest will learn to drive in 3 short years 4) I still get to shift if I want to

I've already planned future mods and added the Mazda accessory carpeted cargo mat, all season floor mats and rear cargo net. Next up is an afermarket intake and tower brace for the engine compartment. I'll add interior F/X underseat lighting as well as the Mazda accessory illuminated aluminum rocker trim.

All in all so far - the best Mazda I've ever owned (this is my fourth).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts