Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a personal rule of thumb. never to buy a car that costs more than 1/3 your salary. my coworkers are saying at $60K salary i should get an rx8, but i think a fully loaded 3 is right for me.

so is anyone else getting the car even though they can afford better? is anyone going to be 'car poor'?

i drive a 95 saturn, so this will be an nice upgrade nevertheless.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
"so is anyone else getting the car even though they can afford better? is anyone going to be 'car poor'?"

Some people are more concerned about what OTHERS think of what they drive than the car itself. Wonder why there are so many BMWs out there? People heard they're supposed to be luxurious and sporty and buy them but some of these people couldn't tell the difference in suspension, steering feel, cornering grip, etc b/w their BMW and another car.

Buy whatever you can afford and what you enjoy. I won't spend more $ to get an EL if the Civic was all I needed just so I can say that I drive an Acura. This is typical BS. I'm getting a 3GS b/c that's what I need and can afford comfortably w/out worrying about working O/T just to make the car payments on a flashier car (a common problem for young people).

·
Registered
984 Posts
A third? Geez. If that was the case, I'd be in trouble. I'm looking to have a car payment around $300 a month. $350 would really be pushing it. Now, if I hadn't gotten over my head in credit cards in college, I'd be ready for an RX-8. Damn that free t-shirt freshman year!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
being a student, its difficult. My income is something like 1/1000th or something like that of the cheapest Mazda 3...

*sigh*... guess I'll have to wait...
or buy a cheaper used car :)

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
schulkw said:
A third? Geez. If that was the case, I'd be in trouble. I'm looking to have a car payment around $300 a month. $350 would really be pushing it. Now, if I hadn't gotten over my head in credit cards in college, I'd be ready for an RX-8. Damn that free t-shirt freshman year!
I hate credit wrecking/HIGH interest cards. :evil: I'm still paying for that Zex Nitrous kit and the engine swap I did years ago. 3k to go and I'm free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm driving a 12 year old Civic Si with 165K miles. When I bought it (used), it was about 9% of my income and was paid for long ago. I'm very tempted by a 5 door 3 (s-plan helps) but I don't think I'll be able to justify the car payment. The civic is still fun (same power to weight as 3 but crappy steering feel), gets 35mpg and is so cheap.....leaves $ left over for playing with vintage cars, motorcycles etc. Besides, being married it's not like I need to impress anybody :lol: The 5 door would be nice for when we all (have 2 kids, too) go someplace in my car (rare).

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Heck my car is my salary. Being a scientist sucks :(. Actually, I make a little more than what my car costs, but not much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I was making $60K/year, then I would just finance 3 in like 12 months since I could pay it easily. But of course if I was planning on buying 3, I'd finance it as long as I can. Probably around 60 or 72 months. HEHE

·
Registered
427 Posts
If I weren't paying the freight for two college children, I'd be looking at a BMW. I could easily pay off a '3 in a year, or just pay cash, if my kids were off of my payroll.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah that's the thing. with the money i save i can pay off my college loans in a year or two. otherwise i would have that rx-8/350z/330ci.

grrr and my degree has nothing to do with my career.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i'm a student and my income is pretty much '0'
i'm just thankful that my parents decided that our family needs a new car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a recent graduate, I have no money to really speak of. Student debts, credit cards, mortgage, utilities, etc all dwindle my income. I want to save up to travel.

I am self-employed though and might be able to justify getting a loaded 3, but I have other priorities in life, and in the end a car shouldn't be your life.

I drove a chevette until yesterday until the axel broke (don't ask how...lol) I now am planning on leasing a basic 3, that's all.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
leasing sounds like an idea...monthly payments would be really low...
but the buy out idea seems quite expensive after the lease is up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lease is a gamble just like paying for a college degree is. say you're starting your career and lease your car. you're gambling the fact that in 3 years you'll be making enough money to buy the car at resale value, or finance another, nicer car. and of course the third option is for rich people that want a new car every few years. i know people my age already on their 3rd lexus lease.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Snooters said:
lease is a gamble just like paying for a college degree is. say you're starting your career and lease your car. you're gambling the fact that in 3 years you'll be making enough money to buy the car at resale value, or finance another, nicer car. and of course the third option is for rich people that want a new car every few years. i know people my age already on their 3rd lexus lease.
Aren't your 2nd and 3rd options the same?

Anyway, th eother option is that if you are short on money after 3 years, you can always get a crappy car, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Aren't your 2nd and 3rd options the same?

Anyway, th eother option is that if you are short on money after 3 years, you can always get a crappy car, too.

not really. what i meant was that you may not be able to afford the car when you start, so you lease it. 3 years down the line when you're promoted to senior basket weaver you'll have enough money to buy the car or get a better one. my 3rd option was describing rich folks who could afford the car, but always want to drive a new one.

anyway, what you described is what i did years ago. i made the mistake of leasing my senior year of college, thinking i would buy the car outright when i'm a rich guy in 3 years :oops: . at the end of the lease i couldn't afford the car ('99 vw passat) due to the dotcom crash. that's why i'm driving a '95 saturn :). now that i have a stable job making more money, i learned to stay safe with the car i buy. mazda 3 looks like a nice car, below my means. perfect!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts