Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo yesterday, I'm on my way home from work and notice that something sounds like its stuck on the timing belt and pull over to check it, nothing there.
So then next I decide is to check my oil which I haven't done in a while :|
Turns out the one of my valves/pistons was dry due to lack of oil, so I throw in some oil and an engine additive that reduces friction but the sound still persists

So question is...wtf is going on? I have a video clip but idk where to upload to so I can show all of you
Also, how big of shit am I in?

EDIT : FOUND SOUND CLIP From different topic, Thanks RedXela
[quote author=RedXela link=topic=127850.msg2731531#msg2731531 date=1226177829]
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g113/RedXela3/?action=view&current=1108081235.flv
[/quote]

That is exactly what my car sounds like

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
How low was the oil, and when was the last time it was changed? What does it sound like, and is it constant, or worse in certain conditions (like under acceleration)?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=135922.msg2927284#msg2927284 date=1234299623]
How low was the oil, and when was the last time it was changed? What does it sound like, and is it constant, or worse in certain conditions (like under acceleration)?
[/quote]

There was pretty much no oil >_<, Last oil change was around the middle of December, And the sound is constant (Idle and Driving), but speeds up when you accelerate, but goes away kind of when you gently accelerate (to the point where your car is pretty much still idle. though in drive.)

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
It's a high-pitched, rhythmic tapping, RPM dependent? Yeah, that's most likely a damaged valve train. Do you have an oil leak, or did the engine actually consume that much oil? If it ate all the oil, you had big problems before the noise started...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No oil leak and the car had been running good earlier that day until out of nowhere I heard this sound after like 5 or 10 minutes from starting up my car..
So uh, I'm screwed?

BTW if you didnt see the edit in my topic
[quote author=RedXela link=topic=127850.msg2731531#msg2731531 date=1226177829]
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g113/RedXela3/?action=view&current=1108081235.flv
[/quote]

Exactly what my car sounds like

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=HitIt link=topic=135922.msg2927328#msg2927328 date=1234300699]
Who did your december oil change? When did you check your oil level last?
[/quote]

Autozone did it (I bring it there all the time) and last time I checked it was about 2 or 3 weeks ago to see what color the oil was to decide if it was time to bring it in

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
And you r oil was full when you looked, right? So in 2-3 weeks your car used up the oil that you previously saw on your dipstick. That is not normal. I guess you saw no smoke or puddles of oil on the ground right? Car was running ok?

Not sure what to tell you other than it sound like a massive engine failure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car was running normally, no smoke, leaks, sounds, etc.

And oil was a little lower but nothing to be worried about and then this comes up

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
The sound in the video you referenced is a problem with the intake manifold, not the engine. Does unplugging that same wiring harness fix the sound for you, too? If so, it's definitely not an engine problem... it's actually not a big deal at all. Just a noisy actuator for the VIS flappers. You should be able to get the manifold replaced with a revised one free if you're under warranty, otherwise it's about a $600 job including the part (which is very expensive). Does the car still drive fine? If so, just get an oil change and you're probably good to go.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fuck I just checked it and when I took out the wiring the engine kind of started to jump around slightly and the sound would be heard every couple of seconds. Same thing happened when I took out/plugged in the other wires too..

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Are you under warranty? If unplugging either of those clips on top of the manifold effects the engine that badly at idle and/or stops the noise, you probably just need to get the manifold replaced.

Edit: if the engine was cold when you tried unplugging the one on the left (VCTS) it's totally normal for that to make the engine jump around and act weird, because that system mainly effects the engine while still warming up. Provided you're sure your oil level is good now, let the engine heat up to operating temp and THEN try unplugging just the harness on the right, and see if the noise goes away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts