Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How am i gonna hook this thing up without the noncool cig lighter thing.
I wanna run the wires all behind the scenes and hook it up to the power source from the cig lighter.

If i splice this car charger thing, what wire is what? On the cig lighter power source, i think i read that orange = power, white = negative? Can i just cut the car charger end off, and hook the wires to the metal parts or whatever is there in the cig lighter source behind the dash? Just straight ty em in?

And how do i take out that cig lighter/air bag light/cigarette box piece? Do i gotta take out the AC stuff and CD player too??
Or can i get behind to the cig lighter source without having to take it out?

thx

· Read Only
86 Posts
The cig lighter you can just tap in to with some wire taps from Radio Shack or wherever. The Air Bag light pretty much just pulls out once you get the dash open. The cover is glued on and peels off and the bulb part just comes right out from the back. Depending on where you want to mount the nav, just get the dash open from the center console to the HU and you should be good to go.

· Registered
38 Posts
My post here summarizes my GPS install...

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=61814.0

I wouldn't recommend cutting off the car charger end unless you know for certain that your navigation unit takes a full 12V input. Also, you negate the fuse protection of the cig lighter adapter. My Garmin Nuvi, for example, takes a 5V input, so the cig lighter adapter has a voltage converter.

On my '07 orange=power, black=negative. I used a RadioShack cig power receptacle, tapped into the wires behind the dash lighter, and plugged my GPS power adapter in - all tucked away out of sight.

· Registered
156 Posts
RadioShack has plenty of stuff for you to choose from to assist you with this. You may want to consider installing a 2nd 12vdc plug somewhere so you can unplug the GPS if you ever have the need and it can be tucked away. You can do a three-way plug so you can plug your cell phone charger in too.

Whatever you decide, be sure it is safe and use wire connecters and all.

· Registered
4,551 Posts
find out its voltage, if its 12v you can tap into the cig lighter wires. Then find out its max amp draw, get a in line fuse for that rating and you now have your GPS protected. It may be the same (maybe) as the fuse for the cig lighter. In that case your already protected.

I would solder too. Thats just me. I dont trust wire taps or crimp connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.