Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dynamic traction control light flickered for the first time this morning as I drove through the snow and ice in Tacoma. Sweet. Everyone else enjoying the weather? Sarcastic of course.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mine did too. In my Santa Fe. I turned it off after that and played sideways. My 3 has no TCS. I like that but I don't want my wife to drive it when it is icy.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I got a nice 6 mile run in, but I didnt drive the 3 until the roads were clear. We had about 3 inches of snow, and thats about how far my car is off the ground.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I must admit, I have been unpleased with the 3's performance in the snow. My old ass Geo Storm ran better in it. I just got new tires last night - siped - and it still didn't do much to curb the spinning.

btw...I am an avid snowboarder so don't go there with the "you just don't know how to drive in the snow then" comments. My buddies Subaru is a dream in the snow and even some other cars I have driven have faired better. I know a lot of the reason is that there isn't much weight on those front tires, but nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
thats why i don't have a mazda3 i like to go in the snow and the hills to much. I think the 3 has just a tad more low end than the geo did that could be part of it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I would definitely recommend a 3 to people who don't live in areas which have to deal with a lot of snow. Sometimes I wonder if I should have went with the 2.5 RS Subaru since I go up to the mountain so much - but it had its flaws in its design (the back seats didn't fold down).

Overall...since we don't get too much snow it is bearable provided you don't live in Central WA or Eastern WA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Um, I live in Montreal and we get tons of snow everyear. The Mazda3 happens to be one of the most popular cars in Quebec and I've had no problems driving it in the 20 cms (~5-6 inches) of snow yesterday. Albeit I have some decent winter tires, but I find the car handles very well and predictable. I've been driving in the snow for 10 years now, and have driven a Mazda 323 (no winter tires, first car), Dads Camry (all season) and my Integra GSR (winter tires) and the Mazda3 is as good as the integra was. Once the Mazda3 gets going I gind the weight really does well in the snow. The only downside I'll admit is a little slip upon initial acceleration, but it has been VERY icy here too and the winter tires I got on the 3 are not as good as on the Integra...

Over all a thumbs up to the 3 in the snow!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have an AWD Santa Fe and it does ok as long as you leave the TCS on.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
[quote author=Chrio link=topic=66694.msg1152797#msg1152797 date=1168982438]
[/quote]

is it a new 07? those do killer we have one as our shuttle car here at the dealership and it is doing great

·
Registered
853 Posts
[quote author=X-MaN link=topic=66694.msg1152688#msg1152688 date=1168978871]
Yeah, I would definitely recommend a 3 to people who don't live in areas which have to deal with a lot of snow. Sometimes I wonder if I should have went with the 2.5 RS Subaru since I go up to the mountain so much - but it had its flaws in its design (the back seats didn't fold down).

Overall...since we don't get too much snow it is bearable provided you don't live in Central WA or Eastern WA.
[/quote]

Yeah I got rid of my RS for the 3, but I sure miss the RS on a day like this. I still have the stock bald tires on, so I wasn't going anywhere with those. They closed my work down at 2pm anyway and the boss said to stay home! : )

·
Registered
913 Posts
[quote author=Rallychic link=topic=66694.msg1153016#msg1153016 date=1168990790]

[/quote]

Yeah I got rid of my RS for the 3, but I sure miss the RS on a day like this. I still have the stock bald tires on, so I wasn't going anywhere with those. They closed my work down at 2pm anyway and the boss said to stay home! : )
[/quote]
Havent seen you around here in a while

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This morning wasn't fun with the commute, but I got through it unscathed. Other people didn't though. I lost count on people spinning tires trying to go up-hill on solid ice/snow. Saw semi trucks sliding around for no good reason. Yikes.

My 3 performed pretty well, I love the TCS. Well, when I need it anyway.

Can't wait til it warms up. Supposedly this weekend.

·
Registered
913 Posts
[quote author=RonTonkinMazda link=topic=66694.msg1152804#msg1152804 date=1168982584]
[quote author=Chrio link=topic=66694.msg1152797#msg1152797 date=1168982438]
[/quote]

is it a new 07? those do killer we have one as our shuttle car here at the dealership and it is doing great
[/quote] I wish, those look so much better. I have an 04. I want to trade it for another 3 or any other gas getting car, It probably won't happen for a while though

·
Registered
781 Posts
I got Bridgestone Potenza G009s on the front and it's a big improvement over the badyears. Still spins a bit when first starting off, but once you're in second and rolling the grip is prety good. I noticed the traction seemed a little better once the snow was packed down a little.

·
Registered
853 Posts
[quote author=Chrio link=topic=66694.msg1153394#msg1153394 date=1169002499]
[quote author=Rallychic link=topic=66694.msg1153016#msg1153016 date=1168990790]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Havent seen you around here in a while
[/quote]

I am still around, but haven't been posting that much! I took my car out last night and slid through a stop sign. Not sure how the car coming the other direction avoided me, but it was a downhill approach, so I was SOL!! lol
It was fine today though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I find that my 3 with winters is as good as my old Integra as well.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Yeah this winter is great for snow

I got my 2007 Mazdasled3 out there with summer tires :) wooohooo !

·
Registered
781 Posts
I am still around, but haven't been posting that much! I took my car out last night and slid through a stop sign. Not sure how the car coming the other direction avoided me, but it was a downhill approach, so I was SOL!! lol
It was fine today though.
Yes one does have to be cautious approaching those things -- brake early and often

1 - 20 of 26 Posts