Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a smoker and I usually puff down 3-4 cigarettes total between my commute to and from work. I know there are going to be little ashes here and there that flake off the cigarette when I go to ash, but when I was cleaning my car last weekend, I noticed a bunch of ashes in the hatch area as well as some in the backseat.

I'm wondering if there are any other smokers here that have found some tips or tricks on how to cut down on this.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
well, im not a smoker, but imo, stop smoking. no ashes in your car and you'll be healthier! or avoid smoking in your car at least...dont want to mess up ure baby !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, how about some responses that don't include such witty input as "How about not smoking!?! DURRR". Hate to sound like a jerk, but if I wanted health advice from anyone on this forum, I would have asked for it. My question revolves around how to do something while driving the 3. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the thread, please don't post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fearturtle44 said:
Many people will leave the window down 1-2 inches and then flick the ashes out of the window.

Kevin
haha I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

Anyways, I try and ash as low as I can with the window cracked about an inch. I'm thinking the airflow of the car is blowing the ash back up a bit where it's blowing back in.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe cracking the passenger back window will change the air pressure in the car enough to where maybe those ashes won't be sucked in?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I smoke ever so often. Maybe 2-3 a day, tops.

Yanno, air and heat make cig smoke smell 3x as bad. So when you smoke in your car, it slowly builds up and literally, taints the air in your car with smoke that cant be removed.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It might be better to flick your ashes in the ash tray rather than flicking them out of the window. I would also keep the airflow in your vehicle down as much as possible while you are smoking. Opening a window a crack for a little circulation is fine, but I wouldn't have your vents or your defrost running at the same time. Doing that gives a point of entry and exit for the air and it circulates not only the air, but ashes also which can be lighter than air many times.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
fearturtle44 said:
Many people will leave the window down 1-2 inches and then flick the ashes out of the window.
Of course it's people like this that are the reason why Smokers are an oppressed class. They bring it on themselves by being inconsiderate to the entire world.

You have an ashtray, use it. I don't need your ashes or cigarette butts littering my streets

·
Registered
581 Posts
So we're going to talk about the physics of air density and air flow in the car and how cigarette ashes are affected by this?

Ok, I'll bite.

I'll be honest and tell you that I don't smoke. But I have plenty of friends who do and had a grandfather who had a 2-pack-a-day habit.

There is one little physics experiment I remember back in my highschool days. If you have a helium filled ballon in the front of the car and you begin to accelerate the vehicle foward, the ballon will move towards the back of the vehicle. This has to do with the air molecues being pushed towards the back of the vehicle...the ballon just travels with them. The back windshield acts like a snow-plow and piles up all the air molecues against it. If there was a string attached to the ballon and the driver were to tug the ballon back to the front of the car, while they were maintaining the vehicles foward motion, the ballon would eventually drift back towards the rear.

Now cigarette ashes are pretty light. I've seen them float and get caught up in the air and they can linger there for awhile. I suspect that a few ashes are flying up into the air and get pushed back with air molecues and that is why you're finding a few back there in your hatch.

Opening your windows, front or back, probably wouldn't help. Unless the very back windshield can roll down (that's the only way the air can have an "exit"), I don't think you'll be able prevent those ashes from floating towards the back. You as a smoker, should know that ashes and smoke are just something you live with as a smoker.

And for Goodness Sake! Don't flick your ashes out the window. :evil: I've seen enough smokers flicking hot ashes out their car window, spark on the ground and don't tell me they can't start a grass fire because they can! At least you don't throw out your just-finished-cigarette out the window...I hope.

The last thing other drivers need are ashes or cigarette butts hitting their car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
raitchison said:
fearturtle44 said:
Of course it's people like this that are the reason why Smokers are an oppressed class. They bring it on themselves by being inconsiderate to the entire world.

You have an ashtray, use it. I don't need your ashes or cigarette butts littering my streets
Ashes decompose into the soil they came from with the next drop of rain. I do agree with you on cigarette butts though, they last more than a couple weeks sometimes and I don't like them to be flicked onto my hood or windshield from a car in front of me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
raitchison said:
fearturtle44 said:

He said ashes, not butts - it's people like you that make the smokers an oppressed group - you look for every opportunity to slam the smoker, regardless of the fact that flicking ashes out the window is not an issue to any extent. Please read the posts before jumping on your soapbox -
BTW, every time you start your car you are polluting the world - think about that before accusing others of invironmental issues like those huge mounds of cigerette ash that you are constantly seeing alonethe side of the road.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Here's my .02. I personally don't smoke in my 3, but now that I have a rental, I'm smoking like a chimney. First off, opening the passenger window will suck in more ashes. When you have one window open, the pressure inside the car directs most airflow out. When you open a second window, the air is able to easier enter the car. My solution to ashes blowing is smoke Camel Wides. THe wider cigarette holds the ash together better(definately helped in the Jeep). Unfortunately, there isn't much solution to the ash blowing back in to the car when ashing if the airflow and window opening are positioned correctly. I used to keep a bottle in my Jeep and ash in there and then just drop the butts in. Keeps the ash away from the window and seals up all the smells when not in use.

Craig

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Black7 said:
raitchison said:
fearturtle44 said:

He said ashes, not butts - it's people like you that make the smokers an oppressed group - you look for every opportunity to slam the smoker, regardless of the fact that flicking ashes out the window is not an issue to any extent. Please read the posts before jumping on your soapbox -
BTW, every time you start your car you are polluting the world - think about that before accusing others of invironmental issues like those huge mounds of cigerette ash that you are constantly seeing alonethe side of the road.
Actually I'd be one o the people most staunchly defending smokers, if I didn't see every day dountless cigarette butts AND little piles of ashes on the side of the road. Even if it's a minority of smokers who do this (I suspect it's a majority) it's up to the rest of the smokers to police the bad ones.

Driving serves a purpose (transportation) plus the smokers who are flicking their ashed or butts out the windows are ALSO driving.

·
Registered
563 Posts
haha sorry for hi jacking, but your 3 got smoked.

Did you find a new one yet?
Thanx :D . My dealer found me another one, now I just have to wait for the insurance company to tell me what the difference in the payoff is going to be so I can go buy the next one. The system sux. They want me to buy a car before the other one is finalized and before they cut me a check for the difference.

Craig

·
Registered
882 Posts
I really wish we could ban smoking in cars as well. Things I find now while driving.

1. Smokers driving with the windows down (even a little) having their smoke drift back into my car, not a lot but I can smell it.

2. Ashes being flicked out the window? I like to have my sunroof open now and again and the last thing I want is your bloody ashes burning or not floating back into my car.

3. And the butts issue, don't even get me started, the amount of polution from smokers cig butts alone is ridiculous, they are always under foot and I've had several toss them out of windows while driving and had them bounce off my car. Probably no damage from that but how would you like it if I wiped snot on your car or took a nice steaming dump on your car or forced you to walk on it regularly or smell it? Those activities would be frowned upon yet smokers get away with it all the time.

Bah, smokers suck and sorry no recommendations on how to minimize your ash issues other than don't smoke, it may seem stupid but it's the only way you'll contain it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
raitchison said:
fearturtle44 said:

I've been fighting the urge to get in here and say something. Now I see that I don't have too.

Enought said. :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
cowtown said:
1. Smokers driving with the windows down (even a little) having their smoke drift back into my car, not a lot but I can smell it.
Yes, Mazda's seem to have a very good "fresh air" intake - especially when there is something ripe in the air.
cowtown said:
2. Ashes being flicked out the window? I like to have my sunroof open now and again and the last thing I want is your bloody ashes burning or not floating back into my car.
I actually had a buddy that happened to once - a full cigarette made it into the rear window. Fortunately we saw it and got off the road in time to remove it.
cowtown said:
3. And the butts issue, don't even get me started......or took a nice steaming dump on your car...
Heh-heh... I agree.

Actually, since it's considered litter, they can receive the infraction fine for littering (well, in the states at least). Worst case, they will receive a warning. All you have to do is make a note of the license plate number, date, time, and where you are driving (i.e. Northbound on 101 near mile marker 316). Call the local police station (not 911 fool!) and file a report.

This actually can get two fold - litter is one. If the police really want to have some fun, they will make a felony charge of Terroristic Acts. Don't ask how I know this, just know that court is not fun...... 8)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts