Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO today I was driving to autozone to get some touch up paint after some d**k dinged my door. Anyway I saw a pretty nice s200 with exhaust/cai/pulleys so I figured I'd play around a bit. Anyway after a few runs, we pulled into a parking lot and talked for a few. He said he thought I might need a new turbo/ or motor( WTF) because he said it smelled like I was burning up oil and saw some blue smoke.

Now I've already had the stock turbo replaced after putting on my catted dp, and that was maybe 5K miles ago and two oil changes. I havent noticed any smoke but I dont usually stand behind my car while driving to notice. However there is none at idle.

Could this be an effect of running a bit too lean? I was getting some backfiring in the cold weather but it was about 60 when this all happened, but I'd consider it a possibility. I also doubt that it has anything to do with residual oil burning up bc its been so long.

I suppose I should try a heavier weight oil next change and see what happens.

Maybe even borrow someone's DH and drive around for a few days, and see if any issues come up on that?

Also I am going to be buying an inlet soon anyway and thats alsop been known as a fix.

I guess what my main worry is would be that its related to running lean or some other problem related to the tuning. Then I'll be dropping 700 on an AP and most likely another 700 (or 300) on a FP upgrade (or internals). Neither of which I really wanna do.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, I dont really know how seriously I should take his opinion bc he couldnt drive for sh*t, kid almost put his car into the divider getting into 3rd......

UGH I JUST WANA STOP BUYING SH*T FOR THIS F***CKING CAR!!!!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Re: UGH POSSIBLY IN NEED OF ANOTHER NEW TURBO, or TUNE, or.......

is this smoke at wot???

if so, this is normal.....my car has had a smoke screen at wot almost from day 1. when i put the catted dp on, i got even more smoke lol.... u have almost the same parts as me so if you want to see what im talking about, go to 3 minutes in on this dyno day video.....notice the plumes of shit coming out of my exhaust! its funny because not all ms3s smoke at wot.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PPZpk-YrU&feature=channel_page#ws-hd

·
Registered
514 Posts

All of the MS3s that I have seen with my own eyes have black smoke plume out of the exhaust going WOT.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Fair enough, but does anyone have a reason for this? Im going to change the title of this to SMOKE AT WOT and see what kind of responses come in....it just seems odd to me but kind of reassuring that I dont have to drop any more $$$ on the whip when I just got my mod bug under control

·
Registered
723 Posts
particulate emissions are just part of the deal with our cars, and lots of others. when i did a track day, i could see puffs of black smoke come out the exhaust when i would shift. there was a neon srt4 there that did the same thing, so i didnt' think much of it. at the end of the day, the back of my car had a good layer of soot on it as well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=138339.msg2982136#msg2982136 date=1236552771]
All of the MS3s that I have seen with my own eyes have black smoke plume out of the exhaust going WOT.
[/quote]and how many is "all the MS3's" equal? I have no black smoke at WOT. Occasionally I can see this happening but all the time and all MS3's, it basically means your running rich.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=138339.msg2982387#msg2982387 date=1236563190]
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=138339.msg2982136#msg2982136 date=1236552771]
[/quote]and how many is "all the MS3's" equal? I have no black smoke at WOT. Occasionally I can see this happening but all the time and all MS3's, it basically means your running rich.
[/quote]

No its not from running rich. Its oil blow-by from the PCV system burning off in the combustion chamber. I got the same thing until I installed my catch can. Never saw it again after.

·
Registered
368 Posts
So your saying running rich won't create black smoke? Your wrong, not sure what the OP's prob is but running rich will make black smoke...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=138339.msg2982630#msg2982630 date=1236570280]
So your saying running rich won't create black smoke? Your wrong, not sure what the OP's prob is but running rich will make black smoke...
[/quote]

I'm not saying it won't make black smoke, but I had the same issue that DIDN'T go away when I starting running AP maps and a 12.0 AFR. It went away with the catch can.

·
Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=138339.msg2982387#msg2982387 date=1236563190]
and how many is "all the MS3's" equal? Occasionally I can see this happening but all the time and all MS3's
[/quote]

Five.

[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=138339.msg2982387#msg2982387 date=1236563190]I have no black smoke at WOT.[/quote]

You sure about that? Kinda hard to see unless you're behind your own car. You won't even really see it in your rear view mirror.

[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=138339.msg2982387#msg2982387 date=1236563190]it basically means your running rich[/quote]

I thought this was a well known fact with these cars...untuned of course.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've seen some black smoke maybe a couple of times on my car. I do have a rear view mirror. This car does run rich, my post did say occasionally you may see black smoke... you made it sound like all MS3's have this issue all the time at WOT. Every car is different and have their own idiosyncrasies even though they are the same model. Not every one will experience the same issues...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know it won't happen to every MS3, just saying that I've witnessed it on all the MS3s I've seen and I consider it common on these cars.

I think a lot of the time it is the built up soot in the exhaust that shoots out because it is only momentary.

I personally wouldn't worry unless it's the thick blue smoke. My buddy and I will be doing a catch can as our next mod so I will see if that fixes it for us.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Although my car's an MS6 the same thing applies, but I do have a catch can with the 2nd PCV and I still smoke at wot.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
There are 2 smokes:

blue - oil. Solved with a CC

black - unburned fuel. mitigated with a tune, still not solved. Turbo cars run rich for a reason.

no black smoke at WOT higher than 5k rpm = ZOOM ZOOM BOOM

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
yeah its really just a fail safe that the car is tuned to run very rich from the factory. personally it doesn't bother me, even with some bolt ons my AFR dips as low as 10 for just an instance, but when the boost spikes as bad as it does on this little turbo I think its probably a good thing.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=138339.msg2983053#msg2983053 date=1236609146]
There are 2 smokes:

blue - oil. Solved with a CC

black - unburned fuel. mitigated with a tune, still not solved. Turbo cars run rich for a reason.

no black smoke at WOT higher than 5k rpm = ZOOM ZOOM BOOM
[/quote]

Gee, I've been running 12:0 above 5k rpm with no smoke and have yet to go boom. Lets not forget this is DI.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the reply's guys...so it sounds like no big deal should I just ignore it and see what happens or go after a solid fix?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
[quote author=JOSH34 link=topic=138339.msg2985579#msg2985579 date=1236705531]
i know it's already been said, but i will reiterate:

all ms3's have black smoke @ wot
[/quote]

The white Speed3 in the video does not, and either does mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts