Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have around 6k on my vehicle and if I let the car idle for a couple of minutes, it starts to spew white smoke out the exhaust with a hint of a sweet smell. I think it's anitfreeze, but if I depress the accelerator it will clear up after a few times. It only happens after the car is warmed up.
Also, I have eliminated the 2nd cat and all resinators.

I am thinking head gasket leak, but if that was the case, it would under WOT also and would be more consistent on smoking.

Any suggestions? I am thinking it will be at the dealers soon unfortunately. I have been taking it easy on it too. I have not been to the track yet. Maybe I will go this weekend then take it in on Monday :).

·
Registered
397 Posts
[quote author=eclipses20g link=topic=69540.msg1208366#msg1208366 date=1171502926]
Hey all, I have around 6k on my vehicle and if I let the car idle for a couple of minutes, it starts to spew white smoke out the exhaust with a hint of a sweet smell. I think it's anitfreeze, but if I depress the accelerator it will clear up after a few times. It only happens after the car is warmed up.

I am thinking head gasket leak, but if that was the case, it would under WOT also and would be more consistent on smoking.

Any suggestions? I am thinking it will be at the dealers soon unfortunately. I have been taking it easy on it too. I have not been to the track yet. Maybe I will go this weekend then take it in on Monday :).

[/quote]

how cold is it where you live?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Phoenix, AZ. Cold weather is not an issue. I wish it was...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Keep us updated please.
I would hate to think new Mazda's have Toyota style head gasket problems!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, no kidding. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause this. If it is a head gasket though it should smoke all the time, even more when it's cold until the head and block expand from the heat to complete the seal.

Very odd. I am kind of afraid to take it to get looked at for fear what it might be, and with only 6,000 miles too. :(

Anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are you loosing coolant?
Are you loosing oil?
Is there oil in your coolant?

Check those fluids!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends, 40 degrees Farenheit and 60 to 70 during the day. It does it when it is hot outside or cold.
Again, after the car has warmed up and then i drive it around a bit then letting it idle again, it starts to smoke.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not looked at the oil. I just got it changed and if there was something wrong they for sure would have told me. I will take a peek myself tomorrow sometime to check.

I hope I don't have milky oil. That would be bad....

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
interesting, if you have a bad headgasket and its entering a cylinder, it would be somewhat rare to have coolant not contaminate the oil as well
best luck with it, hope its not serious

·
Registered
906 Posts
First, if it was the head gasket leaking coolant into the cylinders, you would have blown apart all sorts of pieces of the cooling system, starting with the pressure cap on it. You would know if it was that.

Second, when gasoline burns, a byproduct is water vapour. If the exhaust system cools slightly, that vapour can become visible depending on the pressure. A lower pressure will help the vapour form and with a big exhaust, the pressure is low enough to do this.

End result, there is nothing wrong with your car. Why is everyone so paranoid on this board?

·
Registered
397 Posts
[quote author=Boother link=topic=69540.msg1208922#msg1208922 date=1171520986]
End result, there is nothing wrong with your car. Why is everyone so paranoid on this board?
[/quote]

I think people just want a piece of mind so they keep asking questions. Unfortunatley every question leads to deeper speculation. Look what happened during this thread...a couple people asked about the temperature...then it moved down to leaking fluids then it moved to head gasket failure. In fact I think my car has the white smoke during idle I notice it every once in awile depending on temperature. Also I notice water dripping from my exhaust in the morning as well. I feel that this is normal.

Its funny that these boards also scare a few people from buying this car.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I think there really needs to be a section titled 'possible issue - or am I just paranoid?' or something like that where all the speculative threads ago. That alone would cleanup half the mess. Anyone browsing this forum for info will no doubt be scared away after seeing these post headings, most of which aren't nearly as true to the their labeling.

·
Registered
397 Posts
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=69540.msg1209143#msg1209143 date=1171550337]
I think there really needs to be a section titled 'possible issue - or am I just paranoid?' or something like that where all the speculative threads ago. That alone would cleanup half the mess. Anyone browsing this forum for info will no doubt be scared away after seeing these post headings, most of which aren't nearly as true to the their labeling.
[/quote]

Thats a good idea lets see what everyone else thinks

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I think the name of the sub forum should be
"the sky is falling" sponsored by chicken little

·
Registered
355 Posts
Agreed on "the sky is falling" thread title..lets do it up. I like the way you think cosmicblue.

Besides...there is nothing wrong with scaring those people awya ofrm buying this car. If they do not know enough to read the thread, then they should not be buying a new high performance turbo charged 4 banger! Imagine the questions posted on here if all those people bought this car?? yowzaa... :klavergreg: :klavergreg:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
[quote author=warpspeed link=topic=69540.msg1209628#msg1209628 date=1171561953]
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=69540.msg1209143#msg1209143 date=1171550337]
[/quote]

Thats a good idea lets see what everyone else thinks
[/quote]

+1

Great idea IMO

[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=69540.msg1209835#msg1209835 date=1171566543]
Besides...there is nothing wrong with scaring those people awya ofrm buying this car. If they do not know enough to read the thread, then they should not be buying a new high performance turbo charged 4 banger! Imagine the questions posted on here if all those people bought this car?? yowzaa... :klavergreg: :klavergreg:
[/quote]

I know a bit about cars but I'm really trying to educate myself about the platform (3 in general and the 2.3) and I've also been spending quite a bit of time reading about turbo tech in general PRIOR to purchasing this vehicle for this very reason...I don't think that I'd feel comfortable spending 25k w/0 knowing exactly what I'm getting myself into. I certainly take quite a few of these types of posts with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=eclipses20g link=topic=69540.msg1208366#msg1208366 date=1171502926]

[/quote]

sounds like vapour if it goes away when you hit the gas. more gas would also mean more coolant if there is a leak...best thing is to check your dipstick and coolant resevoir. if dipstick is up and coolant is down, it might be a gasket leak. keep an eye on the levels. a head gasket leak will drink coolant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just trying to get some input other than myself. I have an Eclipse that I race, and know when there are problems.

I KNOW that it is not water in the exhaust, IF it was, then it would not have the sweet smell like it does. I have had leaky cylinders and know the smell of coolant entering the combustion chamber.

I was getting that it does not seem like a head gasket failure, but that would be the only logical thing. It's not water in the exhaust, and so on. I do not want people to be persuaded into not buying the car. I would buy another one or two if it's up to me.

Oh, the sky is falling...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts