Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In prep. for boost, (just to clarify: this amount of airflow wouldn't be necessary for stock) could you have a Y-pipe welded to the original exhaust (or slightly larger) in order to distribute the airflow between two points rather than one, and achieve the same effect as a large, single, unrestricted pipe? I hate the noise poorly modded WRX's make when they're in front of me at a stop, and I'm sure, while different, our car would make a similar noise.
(Not bashing 3" exhaust enthusiasts, but i don't want everyone within 10 blocks to know I have a fistable pipe sticking out the back of my car).

Could you just get a lower volume sound from 2 smaller exhausts and get the same airflow?

Any input is appreciated. :D

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
dual exhaust = heavier with less performance. looks-wise, i guess that is subjective... but it isn't like you're going to get less sound from two tips instead of one.

how do you mod a wrex poorly? :(

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
your largest opening is only as big as the smallest diameter.

so no, 2 small pipes doesn't equal 1 big pipe.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
first off, most of the sound (which i think is like a beautiful symphony) coming from the ass of a subi is due in a large way from its unequal length header setup (not a manifold bolted to the block like us). i would kill to get my car to sound like that!

anyhow, you would be able to utilize 2 mufflers on a twin setup, so sound would be reduced, correct. as far flow goes, if you ran a 3" from the turbo back, and then a Y (nice flowing) into a couple 1.5 (ugly, but using for easy math) pipes, you are flowing the same amount of exhaust, thus "loosing no performance".

i'm still not sure if i'm going with a single or dual with my setup yet, but i'd be doing a Y back into some 2.5 piping and not running any mufflers. but the 6 has cutouts for 2 tips, and i think having only 1 would look kinda silly....though my car does anyhow i guess.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The sound the stiWRX makes is second only to a big block v8, its due to the configuration of the engine - its a "v4" basically. We have inline 4's, inline engines just don't sound as good as the v configurations.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep.. some call it an L some call it an H.. whatever floats yer boat.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you get an unequal length header (like the draxas I have), then you'll get a little bit of the subaru "rumble". Not much, but it does change the sound of the car, I love it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
unequal length isn't good for performance though, is it?

I've never heard a company advertise unequal as something special, but equal length always seems to be said a lot when talking about headers.

I've always wondered if a split header taking from 1+3 to one pipe and 2+4 into another pipe would make any difference in sound (or whatever would net the same firing order that the subbie has) But "v" engines sound pretty much the same when they are dumped into one pipe, most of the time the best sound you'll get is with a crossover pipe in a v engine.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
header for a normal NA car and for a turbo are completely different creatures. it's just the way the boxer engine is designed/positioned that leads to that style of header. just happens to make a beautiful sound.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Two smaller diameter piping will be quiter and flow as much or more depending on the size of the exhaust than a larger single piping exhaust.
I lost that old flow chart I had.

A few problems with this is you will be coming off of a single pipe and that will be your bottle neck. If this was on a dual manifold car then you would have no problems at all with what you wanted to do.

With the Mazda3 we are making alot of power with the turbo kits we have. You don't need the largest exhaust out there to make good power.

You need to pick your exhaust based on your power goals. And unless you are looking to break Juans 500whp+ record the need for 3" is not needed.

And there is always resonators/round mufflers, I perfer the Magnaflow ones. You can get them up too 36" long and that should quite a 3" or 2.5" exhaust up without losing any power.

And with the turbos they use on the these you can get away using the stock exhaust also, which should be the quitest you can get.

Most of this has been said by others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts