Mazda3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have Corksport Plates and Mazdaspeed Motorsports coilovers (12mm threads, I believe) and koni tophats.

http://store.resuspension.com/product.php?productid=18889&cat=391&page=2

This is the correct type of spacer for the application, right? 12mm = .472441, so the .500x.700x.250? Not stepped? Im wondering if .250 is enough spacer and whether I'll have enough threads if I go any further than that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Mocked up the camber plates last night and I dont think there is enough thread for any spacer and the upper spring perch. The threads arent even long enough to stick out the top of the pillowball bushing when its installed without a spacer or upper perch. Most of the pictures of you guys' setups appear to have much more thread length than I do.

What would you guys say the minimum thread engagement should be?

Im thinking I may just have to run these as they are intended with the stock upper spring seat up against the plate. booo

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Im thinking I may just have to run these as they are intended with the stock upper spring seat up against the plate. booo
I run the stock upper spring seat/bearing. It works well and it's designed properly because it seats onto the outside edge of the camber plate, dispersing the load, instead of concentrating the load at a very small contact point at the middle of the plate, which has a tendency to bend plates. Sometimes OEM design is better and it's not a bad idea to stay with it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I run the stock upper spring seat/bearing. It works well and it's designed properly because it seats onto the outside edge of the camber plate, dispersing the load, instead of concentrating the load at a very small contact point at the middle of the plate, which has a tendency to bend plates. Sometimes OEM design is better and it's not a bad idea to stay with it.
Have to agree here. Can't image that there's a huge performance advantage going the direction you're talking about...but then again I've been wrong many times before. The Mazdaspeed kit comes with a good adapter to use the stock bearings. I've run that set up for years with no issues. Also the Corksport plate already eats up a good amount of shock travel so adding a spacer only makes the problem worse. I can fit the 8" MS springs with the helper springs and camber plates and still be right at the correct ride height...remember our cars don't like being low.

One other thing to keep in mind is noise. Using the stock bearings will no doubt be quieter...personal preference there though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ah then you unfortunately didn't get everything from the previous owner. A new kit comes with an upper perch that allows you to use the stock bearings. It also allows you to use the stock top hats.

(Pic Below from my setup) On right is stock top hat, stock bearings, MS perch on bottom (the shiny'ish black part...the part you're missing). On left is Corksport plates, stock bearings in middle, MS perch on bottom.

I know KW sells individual parts so giving them a call may solve your problems quickly and easily if you get stuck. Also I have the original instructions from the kit if you're interested in a copy I can get them scanned.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
http://www.kw-suspensions.com/extras/docs/BBXQ/10275006-eah68675006.pdf

These are instructions for the V1s. Im not sure if the MS coilovers are V1 or V2. The ones I have are for the MZ3, so they arent adjustable.

Take out of the standard top mount the original axial bearing. Reassemble in the following logical sequence on to the top mount as shown on the photo: standard top mount, synthetic disc, axial bearing, upper spring seat.
so it looks like I need the synthetic disc, axial bearing and the upper spring seat. Correct?

http://www.kw-suspensions.com/products.html?p=1

This might get expensive... :( Hopefully all of that is included in the "Spring Seat" at $27/pc Im going to call after I get the model # off the housings.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sounds like you have the equivalent of V1s. The only physical difference being the internal valving, everything else should be equal.

Don't have to have the disc...I don't use them. (they are in the pic in my previous post just below the polished perch of the Corksport plate) I think their purpose is to prevent squeaking and act as a kind of friction surface. My setup w/out them only squeaks over big bumps in cold temps. The axial bearing is stock. All you should need is the perches.

It's hard to tell on the website if the spring seat is the upper or lower. I would call to confirm. Good luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
KW will not sell parts for Mazdaspeed motorsports coilovers. And they will rebuild, but not revalve for future reference.
Yup, went down that road a couple years ago. They had to rebuild a blown rear shock for me...fixed it under warranty even though the MS people say explicitly no warranty included. They will revalve in a sense that when rebuilding they will put new valves in there, but true they won't custom valve. Also, they don't custom valve their own KW shocks either..."not part of their business model" I was told.

I asked him to pretend they were V1s and he's sending me a breakdown of parts.
The parts should be interchangeable with the KWs, so you'll be good to go if they sell the individual parts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Please note that the prices were given to me over email and may or may not be accurate.

List from top to bottom:
- Stock mount (black)
- Composite Disc (purple) #65243244 - $9.99 ea
- Bearing (black) #66030000 - $34.99 ea
- Upper Spring Seat (purple) #65030016 - $29.99 ea

None of these are on the website and you need to call to order. But he says they are in stock.

So it looks like the MS kit comes with a black version of the perch (#65030016) and the rest is re-used OEM stuff. With the condition of all the rest of my suspension components being so iffy, Im tempted to just get the whole setup so Im not forced to put a shotty OEM bearing back in.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Not a bad looking setup if it seats up and fits properly to a camber plate (which it should if it fits up to the oem upper strut mount as shown in the pic). It's basically the oem design with fancy looking purple aluminum instead of plastic composite. It would be better if the mating surface to the spring was sloped like oem though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
They havent answered at all today, so Im still tossing this around. If it makes more sense to use OEM parts, I will, especially since they are likely cheaper.

The purple ones appear to be the same as what clemsonmz3 posted, so Im assuming that all these are are not sloped.

Adam, are you running the stock upper spring seats, bearings and discs on aftermarket plates with aftermarket coilovers/springs? Is the stock spring 2.5" at the top?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Nice to see some exploded pictures of this stuff. This guy claims that the 1pc seat/bearing is not desirable.
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?27039-Focus-Mazda3-rally-suspension/page6

We want it to acommodate the angle induced between the spring and plate due to the extra camber, but what is it about the 1pc design that is not good? Am I correct that the MS motorsports coilovers just replace the sloped seat and keep everything else? If so, what is stopping any of us from running the OEM sloped seat? Is it truly 1 pc and not able to be separated? Clemson made it sound like he re-used OEM parts on his, except the seat.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
They havent answered at all today, so Im still tossing this around. If it makes more sense to use OEM parts, I will, especially since they are likely cheaper.

The purple ones appear to be the same as what clemsonmz3 posted, so Im assuming that all these are are not sloped.

Adam, are you running the stock upper spring seats, bearings and discs on aftermarket plates with aftermarket coilovers/springs? Is the stock spring 2.5" at the top?
Here is my setup:

If so, what is stopping any of us from running the OEM sloped seat?
My springs are tapered, they are approximately 3" I.D. at the top and 2.5" the bottom and that allows me to use the OEM bearing. 2.5" on both ends won't fit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Looking at the pictures in that link harder..seems like OEM is NOT a 2.5" spring. Is that correct?

I need to get this sorted so I can get some stuff done at work! lol Good thing the majority of my coworkers are quasi-car guys and they know autocross season is upon us so I may have other things on my mind at the moment. ha

41 - 60 of 277 Posts