Mazda3 Forums banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
yes. A little sad. But I think its going to be fairly easy to get over it. :) I love the Mazda and as far as FWD goes, does a great job and has lots of potential. But its been a while since Ive come off a wicked dirty run with a huge smile on my face. The g35 did that to me several times. Should be picking it up tomorrow. If I can find someone to bring the Mazda or G to the rest of our local events, I'll try to run both at each event. Definitely finishing the season locally in STF. I think Im top 5 in overall points right now.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well I can say I understand. I love the little 3 too but at the end of the day a rwd car is just better in every aspect. I plan to run the 3 for a few years, but I have a feeling an STR car will be in the future, I'd say less than 5 years. Seeing the competition in STR and the cars in the class draws me closer and closer every event!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Yeah. STR is stupid competitive right now. I want to say it was the largest class at NER the 2 times Ive been down. The G35 wont be that competitive at SCCA events in STU. 285s should help. There is one doing really well in ESP that runs with NER alot. Ive drooled over it every time Ive gone down. If I ever get a co-drive spot in someone's car on R-Comps, I wont be surprised if I jump to ESP. But I plan to run mostly locally in STU for a little while, maybe ESP-T (T=street tire) if the mod bug hits hard next year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
We had a blast last weekend going up against the Porches and BMWs. And I think the Mazda actually put up a good fight. Our team finished 4th out of 11. Only 43 drivers meant that we got 13 runs in. My best was a 76.4. TONS of seat time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Z_2PhQj3g

One more local autocross this season and she's going into winter mode. Then the G is going up in the air. ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
500/650 rates. Hotchkis rear bar on stiff setting, stock front bar. I beleive the last time i got ut aligned was -3.2/-1.5 camber and .1/0 deg toe. It's 1-2 rear psi from undrivable up or down. As it is, you have to put it at the limit and use the throttle to keep the rear in check. I haven't been driving or racing it lately and I've somewhat forgotten how to drive it. It's alot of fun though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That still is wild to me because I'm a softer front rate and similar set-up otherwise, and my car is no where near as loose as yours. Maybe I should start playing with toe...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #275 (Edited)
That still is wild to me because I'm a softer front rate and similar set-up otherwise, and my car is no where near as loose as yours. Maybe I should start playing with toe...
You have much more dampening than I do. I'm at the very top end of what these Mazdaspeed Motorsports c/o's are valved for. Is it possible that mine just unloads the rear too quickly?

I'll also admit that I've lost some faith in the alignment tech after what he did on my G. So it could be off.

Last local race of the season today. Small lot and my buddy is co driving. Should be fun.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rear Toe Out

You have much more dampening than I do. I'm at the very top end of what these Mazdaspeed Motorsports c/o's are valved for. Is it possible that mine just unloads the rear too quickly?

I'll also admit that I've lost some faith in the alignment tech after what he did on my G. So it could be off.
Your video demonstrates exactly what my car did with about 1/8" of toe out in the rear. I have almost exactly the same springs/cars as you. I have a great video of a spectacular 180 spin I did in that mode.

I now have zero rear toe (as well as zero front toe), and can drift around corners when needed (upon my request).:wink2:

261 - 277 of 277 Posts