Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3S with a SportAT and I've noticed when I drive in either full auto or use the AT that when it or I shift from 1st to 2nd gear, it's usually sluggish unless you slam the accelerator down to the floor and then it's still feels slower than it should. It's like when I start off from a dead stop...say I'm driving normally...not too easy but not too hard either..1st gear is fine and then when it moves into 2nd it almost feels like I'm starting in 2nd gear. Has anyone else had or felt there was a problem with the 3 or do I really have a problem? I don't have a problem starting the car so I don't think it's fuel pump related at this point but it just seems strange that 2nd gear should feel so sluggish. It's like it slows down when it gets to 2nd then when it gets to 3rd then 4th it's fine.

If anyone has noticed this problem do tell. I did a search for this but I really didn't see anything regarding a slow 1st to 2nd gear problem so forgive me if there is another topic specifically related to this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,634 Posts
I did drive a 3d AT for one night but what your talking about isnt right.

If you feel like its coming from a dead stop... or starting in 2nd when you really have shifted into second. there is some mesh, converter, linkage or something has to be messed up

Luckly you under warrenty.. i would just bring it in and forget about trying to figure it out yourself, thats what warrenty work pays for

I like MT, always know what going on :lol:

I did take 2 semesters of transmission certification at my technical college and i still think RandR is the best way to fix a AUTOMATIC, especially how them make them these days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
i have m/t, it's there in my sig.

i've noticed this in my m/t car as well sometimes.
it's weird. i shift at around 3000rpm, but then sometimes it'll just drop to below 2000rpm when i get into 2nd. and the car just bogs down.

it could be driver error tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
6_funk said:
i have m/t, it's there in my sig.

i've noticed this in my m/t car as well sometimes.
it's weird. i shift at around 3000rpm, but then sometimes it'll just drop to below 2000rpm when i get into 2nd. and the car just bogs down.

it could be driver error tho.
I know what you are saying to man!! I kinda notice that when shifting from around 3500 in 1st to 2nd, I notice that when it drops to around 2200 it almost slows and jolts a little at some points? I think the error might be in the gas peddal pressure(your foot). But when it gets to 3000 its back up and speeding again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
I don't have the RPM dropping too much problem (est. 800 rpm drop per upshift) but the shifter is clunky as hell sometimes going from 1st to 2nd. I hate it, i hate it, i hate it. :bash: :bash: :bash:

Especially when 1st is at higher RPM and you shift to 2nd, it grinds. I was like WTF??? When I go slow, i have to almost let it stop in the neutral area for a split second before pulling it to 2nd. It feels right when I do that, but if I didn't do it, it'd feels clunky. I have no problems going into 3rd or 4th or 5th from the next lower gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
zimmerDN said:
I don't have the RPM dropping too much problem (est. 800 rpm drop per upshift) but the shifter is clunky as hell sometimes going from 1st to 2nd. I hate it, i hate it, i hate it. :bash: :bash: :bash:

Especially when 1st is at higher RPM and you shift to 2nd, it grinds. I was like WTF??? When I go slow, i have to almost let it stop in the neutral area for a split second before pulling it to 2nd. It feels right when I do that, but if I didn't do it, it'd feels clunky. I have no problems going into 3rd or 4th or 5th from the next lower gears.
I seem to have the same concerns as you. When shifting from 1st to 2nd @ 3000rpm, I have to wait a bit in neutral or engage the clutch in 2nd and wait for the rpms to drop. It's as if the rpms are not dropping fast enough. Shifting to 3,4,5 is smooth as silk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
i was having the same problem shifting into second, and i even had the dealer look at it and they found nothing wrong. the problem was that i didnt have the clutch all the way in to the floor...once i started paying a little more attention to how far in i was pushing it, the shifts were nice and smooth again. i believe that not having the clutch fully depressed was keeping the synchros from meshing fully, thus cancelling out their purpose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Digger10t said:
the problem was that i didnt have the clutch all the way in to the floor...once i started paying a little more attention to how far in i was pushing it, the shifts were nice and smooth again.
I tried that yesterday and it didn't help. I find waiting for a split sec in the neutral zone helps to shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd but that's unacceptable (at least when I want to drive fast). :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
For those of u in MT, if u want fast / non-cluncky acceleration off the line, rev 1st gear to 4000rpm before u shift
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Inno said:
For those of u in MT, if u want fast / non-cluncky acceleration off the line, rev 1st gear to 4000rpm before u shift
That's the problem i've been having. I find that whenever first gear is revved too high before shift, the clunk/grind worsen. I don't if I am shifting incorrectly or excepecting too much from this gear box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
well...i think that's what u get in a four-banger, since there's not a lot of torque during the first 3000rpm, even though with VVT...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top