1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
braille has carbon fiber batteries if you wanna be hardcore...

these batteries will start a car no problem, as long as its charged... the problem with the little batteries is that they go dead if you haven't started the car within the past 2 weeks. i believe that is due to the fact that the car is always draining the battery for power. ever see the battery in a BMW? the fucker is huge. but bmw runs water pumps and all kinds of other shit off of it, even when the motor is off and the key is out. the mini batteries work great on hondas or something else that is more "basic". otherwise, battery relocate to the trunk with an optima is the way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yeah I've got a Braille battery and it's fine for daily driving if you don't leave the car sitting for too long. It BARELY started my car after sitting for 2 weeks once, and would not start it at all after sitting for 3 weeks once. Of course, if you just remember to unhook the negative terminal when you know you're not gonna be driving it for more than a couple weeks, that shouldn't be an issue. I just didn't even think about it.

Also, you can't start the car more than a handful of times without driving around to let it recharge in between. When I left my car at a shop once, it barely started when I picked it up because they had started it a few times just to drive it in and out of their bays.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
One thing to consider about relocating batteries to the trunk, if you track the car, you need to have a kill switch for it.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
i can understand moving a battery to the trunk in a rwd drag car, but i think a stock mounted dry cell battery is better for these cars, assuming people don't mind taking proper precautions so they dont find themselves in a situation where the car wont start. but when you look at the price of a braille battery, its cheaper to get a BSD to save about the same amount of weight.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
I agree with you on that Dan, but one of the problems of going big turbo and having room for the inlet is the battery, it gets in the way and you have to move it, or go smaller battery.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=budgy link=topic=138512.msg2987107#msg2987107 date=1236747327]but when you look at the price of a braille battery, its cheaper to get a BSD to save about the same amount of weight.[/quote]

The Braille is less than twice the cost of a new standard battery yet drops the same weight as a CF hood. If you have to replace your battery it makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
398 Posts
in for more opinions/input on which batteries are truly quality. My stocker seems to be biting the dust recently.

I've had an Optima yellowtop on a previous car and it was good.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=DjAura link=topic=138512.msg2987440#msg2987440 date=1236779362]I've had an Optima yellowtop on a previous car and it was good.[/quote]

Optimas are good. But just as heavy if not heavier than stock.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
optima ftmfw. i got one a while ago and let it sit on a garage floor for over a year because i didn't have time to do a battery relocate on the speed. then randy (palerider) needed to get his car jumped because it was sitting for several months, and we jumped it with the redtop. i can't believe it still had a charge... it started the car no problem! i'm sold on those batteries.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Seeing that the OP lives in NY, you might have trouble starting the car in the winter with a small lightweight battery.
I know some guys that use the lightweight battery during racing season in the summer then go back to a heavy, but high CCA battery for winter.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
^ that's probably a good idea, but not necessary. Although the coldest my car ever saw with my Braille was around 35º F for a couple months, it did start right up like a champ every day. These little 4-bangers don't require a lot of effort to turn over.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The Braille model that would work has 750 cca. What's wrong with that?

·
Registered
398 Posts
So, i hit up the local Autobacs that's going out of business and managed to grab the last Optima Redtop they had.

30% off ftw. :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=dbrier link=topic=138512.msg2988878#msg2988878 date=1236819334]
Seeing that the OP lives in NY, you might have trouble starting the car in the winter with a small lightweight battery.
I know some guys that use the lightweight battery during racing season in the summer then go back to a heavy, but high CCA battery for winter.
[/quote]

It stays in my garage for the winter, I have a company car I drive every day so I'm not worried about it starting it up in cold weather.

But, I wouldn't be driving the car for a few days at a time, I usually just drive it on weekends. Would the battery last for a week?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
It will last for a week for sure, but it may be a little slow to crank. Also doing that every week will decrease the overall lifespan of the battery.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
pretty sure the stock battery weighs more than 30 lbs, its probably closer to 40.

[quote author=Ryz link=topic=138512.msg2987419#msg2987419 date=1236778515]
[quote author=budgy link=topic=138512.msg2987107#msg2987107 date=1236747327]but when you look at the price of a braille battery, its cheaper to get a BSD to save about the same amount of weight.[/quote]

The Braille is less than twice the cost of a new standard battery yet drops the same weight as a CF hood. If you have to replace your battery it makes a lot of sense.
[/quote]

this is tr00f. CF body parts are hella expensive for the weight savings...if you think about it you could get a Braille 11lber, with a new bracket, and a BSD and probably save 40~45 lbs of the front end for under $400.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts