Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of the lack of availability of 205/50 R17 tires and their high price ..

so I am considering other options:
215/45 R17 - this size is 1/8% too fast meaning that at HWY speed my speedo will show higher speed than I will actually be traveling, and my HWY mpg will be lower. The price is lower, but the sidewall is a little shorter - meaning more possibility of wheel damage.

215/50 R17 fill in the wells more - they are 1.6% too slow, meaning my speedo will underestimate my actual speed, and my HWY MPG will probably be a tiny bit better. The price is a bit higher for the tires I am interested in. and the sidewall is taller protecting the wheel better.

what are people's experiences with these sizes?

any rubbing? performance issues? any other observations?

thanks

Igor

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
215/45zr17 works great for me and has slightly improved handling. I can't tell any difference on the speedo or mpg.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will they fit? I keep hearing mixed bags on whether 215/45/17 can be mounted on 6.5" wheel.

I am going for the Fuzion HRi's .. I will check their specs for recommended (minimum) tire width

Igor

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
215/45, definitely, the speedo is barely off, but its off in a way that keeps you out of trouble, which I like, and need.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I checked and the Fuzion site says that I the 215/45's need 7" rim ....

so Anyone has ran 215/50's on Mz3?

any issues?

I do not really mind the taller sidewall ...

Igor

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I've run a 215/45 on stock wheels with no problems, you'll want to run slightly higher air pressures, btu you should be fine other than that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
[quote author=igor2 link=topic=69958.msg1219216#msg1219216 date=1172006967]

any issues?

Igor
[/quote]

you can mount 215 wide tires on 6.5" rim... if Fuzion says you need 7" wide rim for 215/45 than why would 215/50 be any different?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=isjoining link=topic=69958.msg1220473#msg1220473 date=1172035993]
[quote author=igor2 link=topic=69958.msg1219216#msg1219216 date=1172006967]

any issues?

Igor
[/quote]

you can mount 215 wide tires on 6.5" rim... if Fuzion says you need 7" wide rim for 215/45 than why would 215/50 be any different?
[/quote]

the taller sidewall gives you more rim-with flexibility .... when you have extremely low profile - you end up needing rim more closely resembling the width of the tread ... hence the difference ..

each manufacturer determines their own spec ... and I am not going to go against theirs.

-------------

So anyone with 215/50/17 tires?

Igor

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is not a valid comparison. You have to look at the actual specs of a tire. The size rating is not all that accurate. A 205/50/17 in one company will have a different diameter than another. Example (these are from the manufacturers websites)

Stock Eagle RS-A 205/50/17

205/50 HR17
93H XL 260 A A
max load 1433 lbs.
max pressure 50 psi
tread depth 11/32"
tire weight 23 lbs.
rim width 5.5-7.5"
overall diamter 25.4"

Falken Ziex 512 215/50/17

215/50R17 91V 2833-2771 7.0
rim width 6.0 - 7.5
Overall Diameter 25.4
section width 8.6
rpm 821
tire width 7.2
tread depth 10/32
weight 22.2
max psi 51
max load 1,356

As you can see, the different rating, but same specs when it comes to overall diameter, which is ultimately what effects the look of the car in relation to the wheel well, and the accuracy of the odometer/speedometer. (also the falken has a slightly lower weight, yay for unsprung mass and hp)

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
yeah, but the 512 is a piece of crap tire. Also, the overall OD will vary depending on what width rim it is mounted on. . .

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=-Michael- link=topic=69958.msg1220999#msg1220999 date=1172074364]
That is not a valid comparison. You have to look at the actual specs of a tire. The size rating is not all that accurate. A 205/50/17 in one company will have a different diameter than another. Example (these are from the manufacturers websites)

Stock Eagle RS-A 205/50/17

205/50 HR17
93H XL 260 A A
max load 1433 lbs.
max pressure 50 psi
tread depth 11/32"
tire weight 23 lbs.
rim width 5.5-7.5"
overall diamter 25.4"

Falken Ziex 512 215/50/17

215/50R17 91V 2833-2771 7.0
rim width 6.0 - 7.5
Overall Diameter 25.4
section width 8.6
rpm 821
tire width 7.2
tread depth 10/32
weight 22.2
max psi 51
max load 1,356

As you can see, the different rating, but same specs when it comes to overall diameter, which is ultimately what effects the look of the car in relation to the wheel well, and the accuracy of the odometer/speedometer. (also the falken has a slightly lower weight, yay for unsprung mass and hp)

[/quote]

That is a GREAT point ... I finally looked at the overall diameter of the HRI's and the 215/50's are 25.5in while the 215/45's are 24.6 in so the 215/50 is MUCH closer to the stock values ..

so it REALLY depends on the tire ...

Igor

·
Registered
66 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=69958.msg1221017#msg1221017 date=1172074671]
yeah, but the 512 is a piece of crap tire. Also, the overall OD will vary depending on what width rim it is mounted on. . .
[/quote]

Two ignorant statements…

For one the 512 has been praised by thousands of consumers and many forum members. It was also given consumer reports recommendation, not to mention the tire costs $77 a piece shipped.

Second, the structural diameter of a circle cannot be changed unless you stretch it from all angles, being that a 17 inch wheel is exactly that, a 17 inch wheel, width cannot affect the diameter of a tire (unless you were to go extremely wide or narrow stretching the sidewall of the tire at this point the tire would not be suitable for use). The angle at which the sidewall can be flexed is limited, thus the limitation of wheel width for a given tire width.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=-Michael- link=topic=69958.msg1221147#msg1221147 date=1172077318]

Two ignorant statements…

For one the 512 has been praised by thousands of consumers and many forum members. It was also given consumer reports recommendation, not to mention the tire costs $77 a piece shipped.

Second, the structural diameter of a circle cannot be changed unless you stretch it from all angles, being that a 17 inch wheel is exactly that, a 17 inch wheel, width cannot affect the diameter of a tire (unless you were to go extremely wide or narrow stretching the sidewall of the tire at this point the tire would not be suitable for use). The angle at which the sidewall can be flexed is limited, thus the limitation of wheel width for a given tire width.

[/quote]

My opinion of the 512 was based on my experience with it, its not ignorant, its a matter of opinion. You're right, its cheap, but thats about all its got going for it IMO (and these 3 letters are the most important part of it). The sidewalls are sloppy, steering response is poor, and overall grip is nowhere near that of some of its competitors. I'm a little more demanding of my tires than "consumer reports". If you are going to try and cram such a wide tire on a narrow rim, you should get a tire that has a stiff sidewall to prevent rollover. The Ziex 512 is most certainly NOT that tire.

As far as the diameter changing, its fact. You even know what causes it, judging by your post, "unless you were to go extremely wide". a 215 tire is almost 8.5" wide, and you're trying to cram it on a 6.5" wheel. Do what you want, and call me ignorant if you want, but I wouldn't recommend the Ziex 512 for this application.

·
Registered
66 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=69958.msg1221448#msg1221448 date=1172085218]
[quote author=-Michael- link=topic=69958.msg1221147#msg1221147 date=1172077318]

Two ignorant statements…

[/quote]

My opinion of the 512 was based on my experience with it, its not ignorant, its a matter of opinion. You're right, its cheap, but thats about all its got going for it IMO (and these 3 letters are the most important part of it). The sidewalls are sloppy, steering response is poor, and overall grip is nowhere near that of some of its competitors. I'm a little more demanding of my tires than "consumer reports". If you are going to try and cram such a wide tire on a narrow rim, you should get a tire that has a stiff sidewall to prevent rollover. The Ziex 512 is most certainly NOT that tire.

As far as the diameter changing, its fact. You even know what causes it, judging by your post, "unless you were to go extremely wide". a 215 tire is almost 8.5" wide, and you're trying to cram it on a 6.5" wheel. Do what you want, and call me ignorant if you want, but I wouldn't recommend the Ziex 512 for this application.
[/quote]

The tire width at point of contact with the wheel is 7.2 inches. Please do research before posting. It will greatly help those looking for useful information.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=-Michael- link=topic=69958.msg1222040#msg1222040 date=1172094625]
The tire width at point of contact with the wheel is 7.2 inches. Please do research before posting. It will greatly help those looking for useful information.
[/quote]

awfully arrogant for a noob aren't we? I don't appreciate your attitude, and I don't think many will. "Useful information" is all in the eye of the beholder, and frankly, I don't count anything you've posted yet is useful information, but instead is just self agrandizing crap, but thats just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, just as you are entitled to your opinion that my advice is "ignorant". Stay on topic and keep your preachy "do your research first" talks to yourself.

As I said, do what you want, I wouldn't recommend the Ziex 512 for this application, in 215/50 OR in 215/45, if you want to run a tire of this size on this width of rim, I'd run something with a stiffer sidewall, like a BFG Gforce sport or a Falken Azenis.

·
Registered
66 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=69958.msg1222209#msg1222209 date=1172098432]
[quote author=-Michael- link=topic=69958.msg1222040#msg1222040 date=1172094625]
[/quote]

awfully arrogant for a noob aren't we? I don't appreciate your attitude, and I don't think many will. "Useful information" is all in the eye of the beholder, and frankly, I don't count anything you've posted yet is useful information, but instead is just self agrandizing crap, but thats just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, just as you are entitled to your opinion that my advice is "ignorant". Stay on topic and keep your preachy "do your research first" talks to yourself.

As I said, do what you want, I wouldn't recommend the Ziex 512 for this application, in 215/50 OR in 215/45, if you want to run a tire of this size on this width of rim, I'd run something with a stiffer sidewall, like a BFG Gforce sport or a Falken Azenis.
[/quote]

I guess the amount of time Im a member of a forum determines how much I know about a given topic, is that what you are trying to tell me? I am merely trying to give this person as much accurate information as I can without confusing him with things that are subjective or untrue. Everything I have posted in regard to his question is useful. He now knows that the label of the tire does not neccessarily give accurate information on the specifics of the size. I am sorry If i offended you, but I have been part of car forums for years and know how hard it is to get your questions answered with concrete info. everyone has an opinion and it's getting through that and finding the facts that makes it difficult.

Also you are comparing an all season tire to a summer performance tire in relation to sidewall stiffness. Probably not a fair comparison. 8)

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=-Michael- link=topic=69958.msg1222504#msg1222504 date=1172104380]
I guess the amount of time Im a member of a forum determines how much I know about a given topic, is that what you are trying to tell me?[/quote]

Nope, just trying to introduce you to the idea of "netiquete", i.e. its generally a better idea to tread lightly at first rather than jumping right in calling more experienced members "ignorant". You are free to disagree with me, and my opinion is not necessarily any more valid than yours due to post count, you are correct, however, it pisses people off when you jump right in with the insults and telling me "I need to do my research". I'm fairly well informed on the topic, but rather than try and cite my credentials, I'd encourage you to simply give people the benefit of the doubt, everyone is entitled to their opinion, however uninformed it may be, and its not up to you to try and censor them.

You got me on the summer only versus all season comparison, I should have suggested a Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. The point is not the category of tire (there are all season tires with stiff sidewalls too). The Ziex 512 is a very floppy sidewall. Sure its light, but part of that comes from the lack of sidewall reinforcement. Its an ok bargain tire, but if you're trying to cram such a wide tire on a narrow rim, you want something with a stiff sidewall. I ran a Dunlop FM901 in 215/45 on my stockers (another tire with floppy sidewalls) b/c I got them for $345 for 4 tires, but had to run 36 psi to prevent uneven shoulder wear. The Ziex 512 would probably be even worse, hence, my recommendation against them. I also think there are better tires available in that price range, but thats not really the topic here, so lets leave that for now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts