Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just wanted to shoot an idea out there, I know it's come up before, but I figured I'd ask for a little help in furthering it along.

I'm planning on going through with a bumper modification to turn the stock S sedan bumper into this (Sorry for my limited chopping skills, this is all I could manage)

It would involve removing the upper grille and extending the lower grille and fog light openings.

I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone have any experience in body work?
If so, could you just give me a few pointers on shaving such a large area/modifying grille openings like this.

The mazda3 is a great looking car, but the lines that are formed by the hood, the upper grille and the lights so well, is contradicted by the lower grille and fog light inlets and I want to do something different.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i really hope mostly. I want to learn how. I'll have a bunch of people helping me, but they are inexperienced.

I'd really prefer not to go to a shop to have something like this charging me 1000's of $.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
[quote author=PierreB link=topic=72023.msg1268663#msg1268663 date=1173942753]
Geez what did you do to my car there...
[/quote]
:lmao:

You'd probably have to get a wire mesh and put it in the shape you want the grille fill-in to be and fiberglass it. For the fog light/lower grille, you'd probably have to cut a large portion out of the flat space on the bumper.. then when you extend the fog light/lower grille part, youd have to cut it in half, and mesh and fiberglass the sides..

I actually have the S bumper for sale in the Buy/Sell section on this forum. It might be A LOT easier on your hand if you get a different bumper than what's actually on your car so you don't have to drive around without a bumper - for a while.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
[quote author=PierreB link=topic=72023.msg1268663#msg1268663 date=1173942753]
Geez what did you do to my car there...
[/quote]
yea his grill is soo nice lol. It has the potential to look good but I don't think that it is the kinda work for te fian-hearted. If you do it seek some profesional advice 1st. It looks like it's gonna be a tough job.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
there is actually a guy here on the forums who molded an RX8 loooking front bumper to his mazda3.
Another dude molded a tiburon body kit to his mazda3.

But I have seen a dude chop up his stock bumper too and if i remember right, i didnt think it looked too bad.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
It would be a lot easier modifying the bumper made for that particular car than getting one from another make/model.

kspec - that's the dude with the blue 3, right?

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you are going to modify your existing bumper, I would consider purchasing a new or used one and doing it on that one. If you're inexperienced at it the potential for disaster is pretty high. This way you have a fail safe and you can still drive your car while you're working on the new bumper. I think there are a couple 'S' bumpers for sale in the buy/sell forum.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
yeah, as kspec said, theres a pic thread floating around here with this kind of thing done. a russian guy if i reember correctly. i think he did use an rx-8 kit. for the life of me i dont remember where the thread was, but its out there somewhere. i thought it looked pretty good. the tough part is making the transition from the hood down without A) making the front bumper too long or b) giving it a weird "taller than it should be" look. i think it could be done well though.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
[quote author=Boneyard link=topic=72023.msg1269101#msg1269101 date=1173972757]
If you are going to modify your existing bumper, I would consider purchasing a new or used one and doing it on that one. If you're inexperienced at it the potential for disaster is pretty high. This way you have a fail safe and you can still drive your car while you're working on the new bumper. I think there are a couple 'S' bumpers for sale in the buy/sell forum.
[/quote]

I totally agree with him.. and I happened to have a used s bumper in my garage and it's pretty much readay to be shipped out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the advice and comments everyone. I'm holding off till the summer to do this project, so i'll be looking for a spare bumper around then. Boostthat3, if you still have it then, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands :)

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
If there's any way you can take it off my hands asap, that would be great because the parents wont give me any more than a month to get rid of it - or it goes in the dumpster :(

1 - 20 of 61 Posts