Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mazda3 i Sport came with plastic wheel covers which look OK from a distance, but up close they just look cheesy. I've been considering just taking the covers off and painting the steel wheels silver or white (my 3 is Icy Blue).

I've seen pics of Mazda3s sporting black steelies in "winter mode"... but what about silver or white painted steelies? Or any other color for that matter?

Thanks for any pics you guys & girls can provide. :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would not go the painted steelie route, but that's just me. Stock wheel covers would look better imo.

Wait til it's time to replace your tires and get a wheel/tire upgrade then. If you are lucky you may find a wheel/tire combo priced for a couple hundred more than you would pay for a set of 4 new 15" tires.
I bought a set of OEM 17's (from a forum member) with a lot of tread left for $450. gl

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The factory steelies look good to me. Silver would probably look OK but you'd have to try it and see. I'm not so sure about white. Maybe but I'm a bit skeptical. Whatever colour you paint them you'll probably want to get some sort of center cap. If you can find some off a Crown Victoria Police car I think they would look good.

There is room to experiment with black though. With smooth finishes you have a broad range between dead flat and high gloss. There are also textured finishes available. I have some Rustoleum textured stuff that would probably look good. It has a very fine pebbled surface, almost like that sandy traction tape you see on boats and aircraft and such. I have also seen something similar but with fine metal flakes. That would probably be a bit more interesting than just straight black.

On my old VW I painted the steel wheels with Rustoleum Hammered finish. I think it was called black but it was really a dark charcoal colour. With the silver plastic trim rings and center caps the contrast looked pretty good. There are lots of options if you want to get creative.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=balding geezer link=topic=138745.msg2992306#msg2992306 date=1236958781]On my old VW I painted the steel wheels with Rustoleum Hammered finish. I think it was called black but it was really a dark charcoal colour. With the silver plastic trim rings and center caps the contrast looked pretty good. There are lots of options if you want to get creative.[/quote]
That's a bit of what I had in mind... the early '90s Mk2 Jettas with trim rings and center caps on steelies. They looked great and were a unique alternative to full wheel covers.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=vwestlife link=topic=138745.msg2992488#msg2992488 date=1236964159]
[quote author=balding geezer link=topic=138745.msg2992306#msg2992306 date=1236958781]On my old VW I painted the steel wheels with Rustoleum Hammered finish. I think it was called black but it was really a dark charcoal colour. With the silver plastic trim rings and center caps the contrast looked pretty good. There are lots of options if you want to get creative.[/quote]
That's a bit of what I had in mind... the early '90s Mk2 Jettas with trim rings and center caps on steelies. They looked great and were a unique alternative to full wheel covers.
[/quote]

I love the ring/cap look on painted steelies.

You could always get creative with paint schemes. Do a BMW-style symbol in black & white for fun... or one of those patterns that they used to put on tops so that when it spins, it looks like a rainbow...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
i got stock 17s (2006) for sale

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=IronxAtlantis link=topic=138745.msg3000498#msg3000498 date=1237328735]
Not me.:)

[/quote]

+10

1 - 10 of 10 Posts