Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive posted this once before, but it got deleted.

from the factory my car did not come with side airbags. i have added OEM leather seats that happen to have the side airbags. now the car is throwing airbag warning lights both on the dash and on the center console. if any one knows how to deactivate the side airbags of has any helpful insight, please let me know.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah, after digging through the service manual it looks like its all software controlled, and hopefully they can just plug in and make some changes. i hope they dont rape me on the cost for something as simple as that.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ i got them very cheap, from a friend whose car was totaled. they are black leather and in good condition, his car had around 10k on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
[quote author=Oricle link=topic=72395.msg1280772#msg1280772 date=1174453471]
yah, after digging through the service manual it looks like its all software controlled, and hopefully they can just plug in and make some changes. i hope they dont rape me on the cost for something as simple as that.
[/quote]

I wonder whether cars without factory side airbags have side impact sensors and associated wiring installed. The sensors are supposed to be attached to the lower part of the B (middle) pillar where the bottom portion of the seat belt is fastened.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I bet the wiring is there, but I doubt the sensors would be on all models.

Now that the ECU sees side airbags are present it's probably angry that it can't find the sensors. Hence the warning lights.

If the sensors were installed I bet the airbags in his seats would work (Sans warning light).
Could you pull the sensor units from you're friend's car and try installing them?

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=72395.msg1293511#msg1293511 date=1174971987]
If you got the airbags try to hook them up. seems like a waste not to
[/quote]

Might want to take them to a dealer and have some licensed do it for you .. seeing as well .. airbag's are all about safety, and if you screw up the install .. it would be nice knowing that a dealer installed them so if you die, it's the dealers fault, not the idiot who installed them who didn't know exactly what to do and how to install them ..

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=Rdk87 link=topic=72395.msg1293537#msg1293537 date=1174973459]
Might want to take them to a dealer and have some licensed do it for you .. seeing as well .. airbag's are all about safety, and if you screw up the install .. it would be nice knowing that a dealer installed them so if you die, it's the dealers fault, not the idiot who installed them who didn't know exactly what to do and how to install them .. [/quote]

haha, but that idiot would be me, and i would be dead :dur:

·
Registered
892 Posts
The airbags are already installed aren't they? They come as a part of the seats; that's why the ECU is throwing airbag codes. You installed them by plugging the seats in.

Another option would be to try cutting the wires for the air bags in the seat harness. Then the ECU should ignore the system.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=Rdk87 link=topic=72395.msg1293730#msg1293730 date=1174999099]
Are these the side curtain airbags we are talking about? Or ones that are in the seats? I didn't even know they had airbags in the seats...?
[/quote]The seats, they are side impact airbags.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=Rdk87 link=topic=72395.msg1293537#msg1293537 date=1174973459]
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=72395.msg1293511#msg1293511 date=1174971987]
If you got the airbags try to hook them up. seems like a waste not to
[/quote]

Might want to take them to a dealer and have some licensed do it for you .. seeing as well .. airbag's are all about safety, and if you screw up the install .. it would be nice knowing that a dealer installed them so if you die, it's the dealers fault, not the idiot who installed them who didn't know exactly what to do and how to install them ..

[/quote]The side airbags wouldn't kill you if installed incorrectly. Theres not much science to it. You hook up the connectors then if the sensors are there reset the airbag computer. He most likely just needs the sensors which probably run a few hundred each though. Dealer or not if you are dead you are dead.. that statement is kinda irrelevant.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[quote author=MZ3FRS link=topic=72395.msg1293670#msg1293670 date=1174990542]
The airbags are already installed aren't they? They come as a part of the seats; that's why the ECU is throwing airbag codes. You installed them by plugging the seats in.

Another option would be to try cutting the wires for the air bags in the seat harness. Then the ECU should ignore the system.
[/quote]

ok, ive put a bit more work into them, and noticed that the wiring is a bit different. on the non airbag seats there are 3 plugs, one goes to a seat position sensor (i assume) and 2 go to the belt pretensioner.

on the airbag seats, there are 3 also, but only one goes to the pretensioner and the other goes to the side bag. ive unplugged the one that goes to the side bag but the light persists.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Reset the computer?

It's interesting the harnesses are so different... sorry I steered you in the wrong direction

1 - 20 of 28 Posts