Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking into getting a XM set up. as far as I know the stock Sirius set-up on my 08.5 is gonna do me no good. how and where did you mount yours

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't have a picture but I set put XM right above, to the left of the ashtray. It covers the passenger detection gauge, but I rarely have anyone in my car so I don't mind. I have the Xpress RC.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
I'm confused as to what you need. You have Sirrius on your car now... but you want XM, even though they are the same company, and have the same lineup?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't have any sat radio right now. I forgot about the merger between xm and sirius. so sirius since the car is pre wired would be the better choice, i guess?

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
It's not necessarily pre wired on your car, unless you got it from the factory. It's not super hard to install, though, with the factory sirrius unit.

I'm just not a big fan of having an aftermarket unit, when one is not needed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the HU is sirius ready, and I need to buy the tuner, and the bobs and bits to connect it.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
yes... if you have the SAT button on your radio, you can get the Tuner made for your car, and the "connection bits" and antennae... voila, a super clean Satellite Radio install.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ito is correct that it would be a lot cleaner. However, even though our cars are Sirius ready, I believe the tuner that the dealer sells is $400. Which is why most people don't buy it. It's too expensive. If you don't mind having a third party receiver, you can get one for as cheap as $99. All you need to do is hook it up to your aux jack and your set. It's pretty simple and the sound is great.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like the idea of the tuner from Mazda, but I don't think I want to cough up $180 for it yet. I Am leaning towards the less expensive options that would use a car kit. It says the Sirius tuner can be hardwired and needs to go though the cigarette lighter. If I had the correct fuse, what is to stop me from hard wiring the tuner in? (besides voiding the warranty of the tuner and possible parts of my car)

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
[quote author=Azul the Cat link=topic=138546.msg2987455#msg2987455 date=1236780292]
I really like the idea of the tuner from Mazda, but I don't think I want to cough up $180 for it yet. I Am leaning towards the less expensive options that would use a car kit. It says the Sirius tuner can be hardwired and needs to go though the cigarette lighter. If I had the correct fuse, what is to stop me from hard wiring the tuner in? (besides voiding the warranty of the tuner and possible parts of my car)
[/quote]

Absolutely nothing. I have had the aftermarket units in all of my cars before this one, and I have always hard wired them behind the dash... all I've ever had coming out were the two wires running into the XM/Sirrius unit itself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know it's a little late but here's my two cents:

I read on this forum someplace that you can just buy a Sirius Connect module that's compatible with Claroin units (check if your HU is Clarion). Not sure if that's essentially what the dealer is selling for big money.

With respect to add-on XM or Sirius receivers, one big benefit is that you can undock it from the car and take it into another car or even boat (if you have one and buy an additional car dock) or into the house (with home docking kit or boombox accessory). This way you can use it more and get your money's worth out of only one subscription fee.

Sure its not the "ideal" and not as super clean as the factory setup, but the tradoff is portability and the ability to use it in more places...

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been wanting to post these pics for a while. I was able to get from Marshalls an ipod nano cup holder mount. I peeled off the rubber that was meant to help the nano fit snug and then I stuck my xpress RC on there. It's pretty good set up as I didnt want to take anything apart and/or drill holes. The antenna is on my dash and the reception is pretty bad but I dont want to scratch the paint with it on there.

One note, I just got the siri xm app for my iphone, I love it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice mistaneon. I would have used a cup holder like you did, but I was too nervous I'd get distracted looking at the XM and rear-end someone. :shock:

What I did was bend up a small piece if sheet metal (about 6" x 1.5") so that I could put it in the ashtray compartment, with one end poking out. I then taped the swivel mount to one end and put the other into the ashtray compartment (remove the insert). It actually stays in place very well considering there is no velcro or double sided tape... It places the XpressRC just in front of the shifter. Keep it to the far left side of the ashtray so the shifter knob does not get in the way...

The wires are all wired inside the dash, exiting the asthtray compartment. So I can easily unplug the whole thing, tuck the wires into the asthtray, shut the door and presto, no XM... I also used the GROM Aux input for a direct connection to the stereo for the cleanest sound, I highly recommend that.

I put the antenna inside the dash where the NAV unit would be and used some mylar foil as a ground plane. My reception out in the open is pretty good, but in close in small towns (like Bristol, RI and Warren, RI) or on heavily tree lined roads it cuts out very frequently. Annoying as heck :(
Try to put a piece of foil under the antenna and see if your signal improves. If it does you need a better ground plane.

I'm actually hoping to move the antenna to maximize reception (i.e. outside the car), but want it hidden, so am looking at inside the spoiler (with a ground plane) or under some silver colored puck of some sort to at least match my paint and "look OEM" to some extent. The little black magnetic just looks bad and screams "break into my car, I have aftermarket goodies in here"...

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah I am not too concerned with theft, but with the iphone app, no antenna needed. But much trickier to use while driving, and beleive it or not!, the sound quality is even less.

I dont want the antenna on the outside of the car because it can scratch the paint. My dad was being nice and cleaned my old maxima. While towel drying it, he grabbed the antenna and made a nice mark. Maximas have cheap paint!

That must be your thread about putting it in the spoiler, I am gonna check that out now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yup, that's me looking for info about putting the antenna inside the spoiler. I have posted on the forum and so far no one seems to have been able to do it, except one dude out in Ohio. No closeup pics or walk-through, so I'm going to see if it's possible or not, maybe this weekend...

If it turns out that it's way too involved (antenna inside spoiler) then what I will likely do is what everyone else does (roof mount behind radio antenna). Except I'll likely paint the antenna nub grey to blend in a little better and get a small piece of that 3M paint protectant film to serve as a mat for the XM nub and protect the paint

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I took a look and it seemed as though putting the antenna inside the spoiler would be way too involved, so I mounted it outside the car.

Reception has improved dramatically, matching my wife's Accord with the OEM XM.

I'm still on the fence about painting the XM antenna for fear of screwing up the reception or it looking dumb. I am however looking to get my hands on a piece of 3M paint protectant film, to place under the XM antenna to protect the paint, when I want to wash or wax under it...

Anyone know where I can get a 2" x 2" piece for cheap?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts