Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so need a new car with in a month or two. And I’ve narrowed it down to either a TC or a Mazda 3. My girlfriend has a new 07 3 S. I love the car. It’s the base 2.3 with the moon roof and 6 disk cd player. What I’m curious about is if I get the Mazda should I get the 3 I touring. Or should I get the base 2.3 model. I love the pickup on the 2.3 and how well it handles turns. I’m afraid that the I wouldn’t be as much fun to drive.

Are there any Mazda 2.0 owners out there that can give me some feedback? If you own the 2.0 do you wish you would’ve spent the extra grand and got the 2.3? Thanks

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Coming from a 2 year owner of a 2.0l sedan, I love it and I don't regret saving a grand or two at all. The 2.0l, if anything, would handle better because it's lighter in weight. With the weight difference and the hp difference from the 2.0l's 148 and 2.3l's 156 hp. So really, you are paying extra for what, the model? the looks? I would just go with the i touring. Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to test drive an I touring that they have. i won't be driving away with it. I'm shooting for black on black. but that is a great idea since this last weekend i got to drive my girls S for 600 some miles. It was such a blast compared to my jeep.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Agreed, If i was going to get a sedan I would have gotten an i touring -- a bit better gas mileage too. I forget does the i-touring get the 17s? Just a word of warning, tires for the 17s are hella expesnsive

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
S pwns the i , the 2.3 mated to MT is an absloute blast to drive!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I love my 2.0L over the 2.3L, but i do wish i spent the extra money to get the nicer interior. Although the gas i have saved makes me happy :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=ShaleZoom3 link=topic=65928.msg1130398#msg1130398 date=1167797305]
I love my 2.0L over the 2.3L, but i do wish i spent the extra money to get the nicer interior. Although the gas i have saved makes me happy :lol:
[/quote]

What’s the difference between the interiors of the basic 2.3 and the 2.0 Touring? Other then Leather seats are there two different types of cloth?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Gauges are different....blue led's in places, etc..., and my buddies "s" has different cloth seats, red accent stitching I beleive.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
I tried to get a Rally White 2.3 MTX and it was an absolute blast to drive. I really wanted a Strato Blue though so I settled with a 2.0 ATX (the only one on the lot).. it's still fun to drive but I really miss driving an mtx. I really loved the way the 2.3 looked though. I don't regret buying my 2.0 but I wish I would have been more patient and waited for what I wanted.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Go for a test drive and see what you feel. My mother in law has a 2.0i and it still is a very nice car. Compared to my GT hatch, I feel that my interier is hands down....better I guess. I don't know the right word for it. Hers is tan with cloth seats, manual windows, and normal guages. Most of the things on the GT will come with a s model like power windows, the blue and red guages that dissaper when the car is off (Whole guage area looks black) and, obviously the 2.3L. The 2.0 is a great engine (driven both). Compared though, the 2.0 feels like more of a high rpm engine where the 2.3 seems to have a little more power down low. But what the 2.0 might suffer when it comes to low end it gains in mpg.

Either way you go, it's a 3. A 3i or a 3s will both look really good with just a little time and effort into them. Alot of the 3's floating around here that I really like whats been done to them have been 3i's.

Anyways good luck with your purchase! I don't think you will be disapointed either way.

~Saint

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'm going half off memory, and half off the feature list on Mazda's site, but it looks like over the i Touring the 2007 S has:
- Variable intermittent wipers
- Fog lights
- Blue and red lighted gauges
- Fade in/fade out interior lights
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
- Leather shift knob
- Color keyed seats (red and blue depending on body color)
- If ATX, 5 speed as opposed to 4 speed
- Different front grille (bars instead of honeycomb)
- LED tail lights
- Bigger brakes
- 2.3L engine

There seems to be some confusion as to if ABS is standard, as the spec sheet lists it on all models but the "Build a Vehicle" section lists it as an S feature.

Personally I really like the S features and would shell out for them again in a second. None of them are huge must-haves, but all together they add a lot to the feel of the car. Maxuz is right though; no matter what you end up buying get the side-curtain air bags. The Mazda3 has a pretty poor side-impact crash test raiting without them, and they're pretty cheap.

EDIT: Fixed bit about tail lights and added bigger brakes

Andrew Beard

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=stephanie link=topic=65928.msg1130901#msg1130901 date=1167841512]
the 07 I tourings have the clear tails as well.
[/quote]

I dunno why, but I really don't like the clear tails. Maybe I am just used to mine?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I feel different about the lights with certain colors....but overall i like the clear tails.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
me too. i prefer them to the LED tails.. I just had to get rid of the red tails and all of the s model owners who switched to LED as well are being stingey!!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
you should get the i and use the rest of the money to get yourself a REAL bike instead of an 883 sportster. . .

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=stephanie link=topic=65928.msg1131318#msg1131318 date=1167857396]
me too. i prefer them to the LED tails.. I just had to get rid of the red tails and all of the s model owners who switched to LED as well are being stingey!!
[/quote]

IIRC my lenses are clear and there is a red disc and a yellow disc inside, is this what you guys ( and gals) are calling clear? or am I way off?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[quote author=Saint link=topic=65928.msg1130889#msg1130889 date=1167840767]
Go for a test drive and see what you feel. My mother in law has a 2.0i and it still is a very nice car. Compared to my GT hatch, I feel that my interier is hands down....better I guess. I don't know the right word for it. Hers is tan with cloth seats, manual windows, and normal guages. Most of the things on the GT will come with a s model like power windows, the blue and red guages that dissaper when the car is off (Whole guage area looks black) and, obviously the 2.3L. The 2.0 is a great engine (driven both). Compared though, the 2.0 feels like more of a high rpm engine where the 2.3 seems to have a little more power down low. But what the 2.0 might suffer when it comes to low end it gains in mpg.

Either way you go, it's a 3. A 3i or a 3s will both look really good with just a little time and effort into them. Alot of the 3's floating around here that I really like whats been done to them have been 3i's.

Anyways good luck with your purchase! I don't think you will be disapointed either way.

~Saint
[/quote]

yeah i drive an hour one way to work. so the extra miles per gal would be great. But anything will be better then what my jeep gets. I hoped to test drive an 2.0 today but things didn't work out. I'll see. if i can get a 2.3 for high 17 or 18 flat then i'll go for the 2.3. but of course getting 2.0 then working on the motor and seeing what i can do to make it as bad ass as the 2.3 would be fun.. but the extras you get with the 2.3 are great value.....i guess i'll just have to see what they have when i go to buy. I know for sure i want black inside and out.

Thank you to everyone that has put in any input. I really am thankful.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts