Mazda3 Forums banner

IF I INSTALL A SHORT RAM INTAKE WILL IT MESS UP THE COMPUTER?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a short ram intake and thinking about removing the factory airbox and installing it. I'm not to savy with Mazdaspeed3 but, will it mess up the computer in regards to the amount of air it will take in after i install the intake? Another thing, what's the difference between CAI and SRI? Another question is what does CEL and some other abbreviations stand for? Sorry i'm trying to get the hang of the lingo, it's all new to me.. Thanks for your help guys.. Look forward to hearing from any of you soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a short ram in my RSX Type-S. I chose it because I didn't want the cold air intake sitting just off the ground... lot's of rain and snow around here. Short rams don't give the same performance, usually due to heat, but you have to think about the bigger picture. CEL is check engine light.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
There are 2 sensors that must be relocated.
Which SRI is it?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Welcome to the threads.

I'm assuming you have a SRI from a previously owned vehicle, but it won't fit on the speed3. A SRI won't mees up the computer (a.k.a. ECU) if its made for the car, but if you're putting one together from parts you have lying around then I strongly urge you to not take this approach.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a SRI from a previous car. Although it's not an issue if it'll fit or not. I just want to make sure nothing goes wrong or wanted to know if there is a possibility that something might go wrong. I'm not building my own btw...

·
Registered
405 Posts
As long as the SRI has a Mass Air Flow adapter which is the same spec as stock it should run fine. If it was not made for a MS3 or 6 likely it will be diffrent. It takes only 5-10min or less to remove the airbox and filter upper and lower. There are no resonators or extra chambers so any SRI is gonna be super easy. CAI would depend on where it is going.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If it was not designed for the speed 3 I would say don't install it.. because you have to install the MAF sensor, I'm not sure if the speed 3 has the barometric sensor as well just like the regular 3 does but that's not a problem if it does since it does not go inside the intake like the MAF does.

the diameter has to be for the speed3.

CEL means Check Engine Light. If something does go wrong you will get one. It's not necessarily bad, it might be that the MAF sensor got some moisture from rain or something but I would say if you do get one maybe autozone or one of those places might be able to read what the error code is on the speed 3... but I'm not sure if they have the updated info.

If you get the CEL right after the installation check all the cables, if everything seems to be in place and plugged in then there is something the ECU does not like. Disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and reconnect it. If you still have that CEL then just remove the whole thing and put the original airbox back on. (this applies if the CAI or SRI was not specifically designed for the speed 3) As far as I know only the Mazdaspeed CAI is available but it's waaaaayyy too expensive

My recommendation is to wait a couple of months until AEM, injen or those guys release their versions, then you know for sure it will work
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I put a homemade ram on all my n/a cars, while retaining stock airbox...Home depot style with ducting to front lower grill (still protected by splash guard and grill). in all cases, seemed to pull better on highways...less sluggish in low speed stop and go due to cooler air getting into the engine faster.
only drawback was filter became damp on really wet days due to ram working too well. I put a drain hole in the bend, but it still took in moisture. I took it out during the winter/wet season.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys believe in that ... TORNADO thing... it supposed to go in between the throttle body and the air intake which supposedly gives you better gas miles due to the way the air flows in the engine?..

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
never tried one. concept seems like a good idea, but not sure how much proof/dynoing anyone has to back up it's effectiveness...?

·
Registered
178 Posts
[quote author=rabalagot link=topic=66648.msg1144304#msg1144304 date=1168536853]
Do you guys believe in that ... TORNADO thing... it supposed to go in between the throttle body and the air intake which supposedly gives you better gas miles due to the way the air flows in the engine?..
[/quote]

It's total junk. It was on mythbusters, and various other reviews that all show it does nothing for your car. if it was really that easy to improve your gas mileage don't you think that cars would be coming from the factory with them installed?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It's been talked about so many times in this forum and the result has been that it is a piece of crap... It does nothing, and you take the risk that with so much pressure going in the thing gets sucked in and your engine will blow

·
Registered
639 Posts
Another NY MS3! Welcome to the forums!

I'm with the majority of the guys here...don't do it unless it's a Mazdaspeed3 specific intake. It's just not worth the trouble for the gain, as you might run into little headaches. Something will be out relatively soon, will be easier to install and provide the same gains you're looking for, if not better.

BTW, check out the Metro NYC MS3 thread posted below! Looking to have an NY g2g going.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sup man,
I wanted to know where that forum your talking about is located? Thanks for the input about my question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts