Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my situation. Installed Tein h-techs on stock springs back in May of 2007. The ride was definitely more harsh but it was what i expected. Almost two years later things are Horrible. Im getting a ton of noises from the front of my car. Some are squeaks almost like a mattress others are light clunking noises. Also, i cringe every-time i see a bump in the road. It seems like it has gotten worse since i installed the springs when the car was at like 3,000mi. Now i have close to 40,000mi (37,000 to be exact) and im thinking it is time for my shocks to be replaced. I dont have my stock springs anymore so that is not an option. As for replacement shocks i have been hearing a bunch of things. Racing performance is not important to me as I know brands like koni would be the best, but i am student teaching right now and money is hard to come by. What i want most is long lasting, more comfortable ride, and practical. My DSM buddy was telling me about brands like tokico and kyb and i was also considering the mazdaspeed struts. Anyone have a recommendation??

And to kill two birds with one stone, any recommendation on brakes? Need to replace my front rotors and all pads. They can perform like stock, but id like low noise and dust pads with some long lasting rotors.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The most practical and economical route is probably to buy a set of used stock springs, shocks and struts from a fellow member who upgraded his suspension.  The springs typically run around $35, and shocks/struts maybe $120?  Then sell the h-techs.

Another option if you keep the h-techs is oem Mazdaspeed3 (not Mazdaspeed) shocks and struts.  Retail for those is around $350.  They will further stiffen your ride, though.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any aftermarket brands that would ok,too.

EDIT: I talked to my buddy some more and he said the konis are pretty comfortable. I might just bite the bullet and invest in a set. Good choice?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts