Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have trouble when shifting into third gear only? I sometimes strugle and my car has only 20000miles. :(

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
[quote author=LuisDC link=topic=139739.msg3011672#msg3011672 date=1237827631]
Anyone have trouble when shifting into third gear only? I sometimes strugle and my car has only 20000miles. :(
[/quote]

+1- I was gonna ask the same thing cuz sometimes I slip 3rd, actually quite often during spirited driving.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any one? :(

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
try short shifter and changing tranny oil to synthetic...
ive had the same problem, but after switching the oil to synthetic... it works like a charm.. im also running RKM STS with bushings

·
Registered
804 Posts
Honda 6MT's have a problem with 3rd gear popping out under medium to hard acceleration with eventual failure of the gear itself. A TSB was issued tracing it back to some faulty transmission parts (synchro's), but some people have alleviated the "pain" by using GM modified friction fluid that helps the synchro's out a little bit. I'm guessing you guys may be experiencing synchro problems as well...

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
i dont have any problems with it now....
what i did was exactly;
changed tranny oil to royal purple 75w90 full synthetic
installed RKM STS w/ bushings
installed Mediaval Motorsport Passenger and Rear engine mount...

Works perfectly.. haven't missed a gear , or felt anything weird in months

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
yea i remember it being much worse before my mount replacement, ill try switching to synthetic soon, if it gives me continuous trouble. Has anyone had problems with reverse? That ones worse for me.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
[quote author=Zabusa link=topic=139739.msg3028914#msg3028914 date=1238502301]
yea i remember it being much worse before my mount replacement, ill try switching to synthetic soon, if it gives me continuous trouble. Has anyone had problems with reverse? That ones worse for me.
[/quote]
reverse in our cars has a single synchro... so somtimes u have to go to neutral... press clutch in... then try to go into reverse... a couple of times.. if not just rev the engine slightly... and ull make it in...
everyone has the same problem :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you buy the synthetic trans fluid and how much per quart is it?

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
royal purble " any local autozone" about $12-$13 per qt.
redline MT90 (best tranny fluid) dont know the price exactly..

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
[quote author=MHadden link=topic=139739.msg3026928#msg3026928 date=1238434693]
Honda 6MT's have a problem with 3rd gear popping out under medium to hard acceleration with eventual failure of the gear itself. A TSB was issued tracing it back to some faulty transmission parts (synchro's), but some people have alleviated the "pain" by using GM modified friction fluid that helps the synchro's out a little bit. I'm guessing you guys may be experiencing synchro problems as well...
[/quote]
This is a smart fella right here. My buddy drives a V6 Accord (6MT) and 3rd gear used to be bitchy until we changed his tranny fluid. The reason I'm quoting this is to update what you said, Honda made their own variant of GM's special tranny fluid... Worked like a charm for him. So to anyone experiencing synchro/poor gear engagement issues, think tranny fluid drain/change. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
agreed. I have a 2009 hatch with less than 5k miles and feel like 3rd is difficult to engage at times. Also, it seems like the "notchyness" of my transmission changes from drive to drive. Sometimes everything shifts smoothly, then the next all the gears have noticeably more resistance when shifting. Am I crazy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts