Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual tranny 2.3. When I drive my car normally shifting from 1 to 2 is pretty smooth, howerver when i want some acceleration and i rev the engine to 4.5 or 5 then the shift from 1 to 2 is rough and hard. It's not as smooth as it is when i'm shifting at 2. It's weird is there any way to fix that would a short throw shifter fix that? Also when you guys shift how far in do you press the clutch do you just barley press it or do you put it all the way to the floor? Does it make a difference in performance??

thanks in advance,

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Is this your first MTX car? What you're describing sounds like you need to refine your shifting technique and adjust your gas/clutch balance. If you rev the engine up really high under hard acceleration, then everything's still spinning very quickly when you upshift and you're not matching the transmission speed to the engine speed. My suggestion (without actually being in the car and seeing what's happening) is that you probably need to give more gas when starting in second gear (after the upshift that is) so that the engine revs don't drop and then suddenly go under load again when you let the clutch out. Also why are you shifting at 2,000 rpms? You should probably go to at least 3k before you shift.

You need to push the clutch in enough for the gears to fully disengage. You can usually feel that "sweet spot" once you hit it, so as long as you're past that you're most likely fine. Make sure you're not riding the clutch, or forcing it in/out of gear with the clutch only partially engaged as that will decrease your clutch life. The only performance difference between engaging the clutch all the way, and "just enough" is the time it takes you to shift. Once you become profficient then you'll be able to shift quite quickly... just takes practice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You need to push the pedal to the floor. If you want to shift like a pro, let the stick position itself back to neutral and then pull it to the left and down:

1 3 5
o | |
N
| | |
2 4 R

1 3 5
| | |
o N
| | |
2 4 R

1 3 5
| | |
N
o | |
2 4 R

There is nothing wrong at shifting at 2k RPM for normal driving. Don't rev your engine to 4.5 or 5 and then shift, because its pointless. I usually shift at 1.5k,2k,or 3k as there is no need to rev higher for normal street driving. If I am trying to go fast, I usually shift at 3k-3.5k from first to second, at 3.5k to 3rd, at 4k to 4th, and 4k to 5th.

·
Registered
99 Posts
^^^^^ huh?
Shift like a pro what? pro truckdriver? Thats how you do a double clutch - but you didn't mention the clutch. And truckers do this because they usually have unsynchronized gearboxes, requiring a doubleclutch. Ours are synched, except for reverse.

& if thats the rpms you shift at "trying to go fast", you would be in my rearview mirror in a few seconds. Look at any dyno, tell me where the peak torque is.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=67024.msg1150864#msg1150864 date=1168892491]
Is this your first MTX car? What you're describing sounds like you need to refine your shifting technique and adjust your gas/clutch balance. If you rev the engine up really high under hard acceleration, then everything's still spinning very quickly when you upshift and you're not matching the transmission speed to the engine speed. My suggestion (without actually being in the car and seeing what's happening) is that you probably need to give more gas when starting in second gear (after the upshift that is) so that the engine revs don't drop and then suddenly go under load again when you let the clutch out. Also why are you shifting at 2,000 rpms? You should probably go to at least 3k before you shift.
[/quote]

i'm on my first manual car as well, and have noticed this.

so when in the process are you saying we need to get on the gas? once we let the foot of the clutch in second? right when we're hitting the engage point? thanks.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It takes practice keeping the revs up but yes, icspots is spot on. If you shift at higher rpm you need to get on the gas more.
As for shifting at 1.5-2k, by all means if you don't mind watching granny in her '86 Daewoo fly by you on her way to the bingo game.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So let me get this straight... when im in first and i want to go fast i go up to 4.5k and then shift to second then should i release the clutch kind of slowly, or do i just let it out as soon as i put it in gear? Should i spend less time in first when goin fast and only take it up to 3/3.5k? When am i supposed to give it gass and how much? Also is there anything i can do to my car so that i can shift faster and smoother something like a short-throw shifter?

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=a1fa link=topic=67024.msg1152155#msg1152155 date=1168962873]
There is nothing wrong at shifting at 2k RPM for normal driving. Don't rev your engine to 4.5 or 5 and then shift, because its pointless. I usually shift at 1.5k,2k,or 3k as there is no need to rev higher for normal street driving. If I am trying to go fast, I usually shift at 3k-3.5k from first to second, at 3.5k to 3rd, at 4k to 4th, and 4k to 5th.
[/quote]

dude...i can't even think of anything civil to respond to that.

do you like driving your car so it bogs down? thats probably the worst advice for everyday shifting. 2k RPM? i could see 2500, but you shift at 2K, and the next gear you hit your car goes dunkadunka considering you'll be at 1500.

if you wanna go fast you shift just under 7K RPM. thats fast.

i shift 2500-3500 for everyday driving. and i still get 30mpg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I said a pro, I meant a profesional "driver", as in people that go to school to learn how to drive other people around :p

I kind of lied. I usually shift at 2k, and I get 34mpg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts