Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed something about the shifting "clunkiness" of the shift in 1st and 2nd gears when it's cold or not.

I can't say if I'm the problem or not, but when I took the console apart to install my TWM bushings I noticed that there's a little plate that prevents us from going into Reverse without pushing down the shift knob.

When I shift in first or second, I tend to push left hard since this piece is supposed to block and it's supposed to align you with the first/second slots. If I shift slowly and I don't push all the way over to that "plate" to shift in 1st or 2nd, I don't get the clunk. So I'm thinking that maybe I'm pushing a bit too hard left when shifting in 1st or 2nd which causes the whole linkage to be misaligned and the friction clunk that happens when I shift.

I may try to add an extra layer of padding on that plate so that when I hit it, I'm better aligned with the 1st/2nd gears channels and see if it removes the whole clunk when shifting in those gears. The curious thing is that it doesn't do that when I shift in 5th or 6th which is the complete opposite and there are no plates there (but there are also no channels to go in a "R" gear on that side).

Anyways, my observations, I'll try it when I have a minute to dismantle the console again and see what I can do about putting a new layer of padding or try to move the plate right a bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am not sure if I have a problem or not myself. My issue is a bit different. When I first start driving I find that shifting from 1st into 2nd is difficult. The stick just will not go into 2nd gear smooth. I almost have to force it. IT happens the first few times I shift. Then after that I am not sure if it warms up or something vibrates into place but the shifting become smooth again and I don't have to force anything....

Anybody else experiencing this????

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same thing when it's cold in the morning.

After a couple shifts + driving it's butter smooth.

What I'm referring is more of the "clunk" that it does sometimes when dropping into second gear (from 1st or downshift from 3rd)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah I wonder what the heck causes that. Makes me think that the transmission has too much play in it or something. That could be a stupid thing to think I have no idea. I am just throwing my crazy ideas out there.

I am just scared hearign all of the issues people are having. IT is crazy. I know it is a new car and some issues might be expected but there are way too many issues at this point.

Just look at the list:

- leaking power stearing
- leaking strut oil
- Transmission/motor mount bolt coming out
- Sounds from dash
- sounds from speakers
- sounds from breaks
- sounds from suspension
- shifting issues
- CEL and bad valves

What else the list goes on. It is just very scary to me.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=70600.msg1245801#msg1245801 date=1172897864]
Yeah I wonder what the heck causes that. Makes me think that the transmission has too much play in it or something. That could be a stupid thing to think I have no idea. I am just throwing my crazy ideas out there.

I am just scared hearign all of the issues people are having. IT is crazy. I know it is a new car and some issues might be expected but there are way too many issues at this point.

Just look at the list:

- leaking power stearing
- leaking strut oil
- Transmission/motor mount bolt coming out
- Sounds from dash
- sounds from speakers
- sounds from breaks
- sounds from suspension
- shifting issues
- CEL and bad valves

What else the list goes on. It is just very scary to me.
[/quote]

Sounds from speakers, lol!!! Troll much?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ha ha sorry about my spelling.

Yes I get a rattle from my speakers when the bass hits during songs. I get it from the front right speaker and it sounds like the door pannel is rattelign or something. Just not solid like it should be.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=70600.msg1246505#msg1246505 date=1172950008]

Yes I get a rattle from my speakers when the bass hits during songs. I get it from the front right speaker and it sounds like the door pannel is rattelign or something. Just not solid like it should be.
[/quote]

Well if all that is happening to your car then it was probably built on a Friday. Anyway this thread is specifically about the shifting issue that some is having in cold weather and not about you and your laundry list of whines. There is a consumer review section where you can whine to your heart's content.

Anyway to stay on topic. Yes in the morning, when it's colder, the 1-2 shift is a little hard but it doesn't grind or anything. It's just the way this tranny is and it's not specific to this car either. Many other makes and models suffer from similar cold weather related issues.

·
Registered
168 Posts
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=70600.msg1246527#msg1246527 date=1172950856]

[/quote]

Well if all that is happening to your car then it was probably built on a Friday. Anyway this thread is specifically about the shifting issue that some is having in cold weather and not about you and your laundry list of whines. There is a consumer review section where you can whine to your heart's content.

Anyway to stay on topic. Yes in the morning, when it's colder, the 1-2 shift is a little hard but it doesn't grind or anything. It's just the way this tranny is and it's not specific to this car either. Many other makes and models suffer from similar cold weather related issues.
[/quote]

I was on topic I just had more to say. The board is open for people to discuss things. I had a few comments about the topic and woudl love to continue to talk about it. I mentioned some other worrys I had and I see nothing wrong with that. I don't need anybody tellign me what to do. SOrry I just don't like it when people on boards feel the need to make comments like you did.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=70600.msg1246636#msg1246636 date=1172958023]
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=70600.msg1246527#msg1246527 date=1172950856]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was on topic I just had more to say. The board is open for people to discuss things. I had a few comments about the topic and woudl love to continue to talk about it. I mentioned some other worrys I had and I see nothing wrong with that. I don't need anybody tellign me what to do. SOrry I just don't like it when people on boards feel the need to make comments like you did.
[/quote]

Sorry but you sounded more like a troll than someone willing to discuss the topic at hand. My bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=70600.msg1240310#msg1240310 date=1172721468]
I am not sure if I have a problem or not myself. My issue is a bit different. When I first start driving I find that shifting from 1st into 2nd is difficult. The stick just will not go into 2nd gear smooth. I almost have to force it. IT happens the first few times I shift. Then after that I am not sure if it warms up or something vibrates into place but the shifting become smooth again and I don't have to force anything....

Anybody else experiencing this????

[/quote]

i am... it happens when i go into reverse sometimes too...like when i first get in my car i have to force it like twice, but after that its smooth again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=70600.msg1247075#msg1247075 date=1172978195]
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=70600.msg1247035#msg1247035 date=1172976075]
u are an ass
[/quote]

See, I was right. Now shooo.
[/quote]

I see you are a tool so why don't you go somewhere else - find a place where the rest of the retards hang out, I am sure they will welcome you with open arms.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=70600.msg1247766#msg1247766 date=1173028562]
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=70600.msg1247075#msg1247075 date=1172978195]
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=70600.msg1247035#msg1247035 date=1172976075]
u are an ass
[/quote]

See, I was right. Now shooo.
[/quote]

I see you are a tool so why don't you go somewhere else - find a place where the rest of the retards hang out, I am sure they will welcome you with open arms.
[/quote]

hahaha, you calling me a retard, now that's funny. After reading your consistent whining in every thread, I've come to the conclusion that you're probably a woman who don't know her ass from a hole in the ground. Anyway I await your next retarded reply.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Seems like you have a lot of time to waste if you went and checked out every post I have made.... Loser...

Well I was under the impression the board was here to ask questions, share stories and talk about our cars (good and bad).

With all the issues that I have read about with this new car I am worried about several things. I worry about many of the specific problem items that people have been experiencing (bolt failures, noise problems, CELs, etc.) and I also worry about Mazda as a whole. It worries me that Mazda does not appear to take any of these items seriously and if they care that little about their customers it bothers me. In many cases TSB should be issued and in some cases a recall should be issued. But so far I have not seen anything happen. I don't think my concerns are unjustified.

If you don't like my post, don't agree or don't want to read it then don't read it. You are wasting my time, your time and everybody else’s time making stupid comments. I am done with this commentary with you. I am sure we will see another stupid post from you with more negative comments. I know you can't not make another post- you just don't have the will-power. But do as you will after this I am done. I will continue to talk about my car, ask people about their cars and say what I want on the board. If you don't like it - well I really don't care.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Back to the OPs q, i have that "clunk" when i shift from to 2nd and 3rd SOMETIMES, its odd, cold doesnt make it more frequent, style of gear shifting doesnt make it more frequent and neither does amount of time driving. It does seem to be noisier when im just lollygagging around town, but when im really on it it doesnt make the sound.

I do think that its just the snick of the gears engaging. Maybe it has to do with the shaft where the shifter enters the tranny, its almost something you can feel right at the end of shifter travel, even before you release the clutch.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
[quote author=javanc link=topic=70600.msg1248750#msg1248750 date=1173067955]
Back to the OPs q, i have that "clunk" when i shift from to 2nd and 3rd SOMETIMES, its odd, cold doesnt make it more frequent, style of gear shifting doesnt make it more frequent and neither does amount of time driving. It does seem to be noisier when im just lollygagging around town, but when im really on it it doesnt make the sound.

I do think that its just the snick of the gears engaging. Maybe it has to do with the shaft where the shifter enters the tranny, its almost something you can feel right at the end of shifter travel, even before you release the clutch.
[/quote]

Well they are really 2 different issues. There's the cold issue in the mornings where the shift action seems a little rough especially 1-2 until the fluid heats up. Then there's the 'clunk' issue which you just described. I have that too. I usually hear it between 2-3 unless I rev it past about 3200 rpms then shift. Sometimes it's not there at all but I can almost always make it happen if I shift under 3k. At first it bothered me, but now I'm used to it. Seems like some trannies clunk more than others. And it's definitely not a syncro issue as it never grinds. It sounds more like the linkage. Maybe Mazda will clear that up in future builds or issue a tsb for it. It's funny how hardly any of the mags (if any) mentioned the clunk. Maybe it's because they were driving it hard during their tests.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I concur on both fronts. AS new car owners we all fret over all the new noises and feelings, and with a motor mount issue here and there we all freak out. But meh, as long as this tranny is taking the abuse im throwing at it, i dont care if it makes a little clink or clunk as it engages gears.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah I agree with that thought but at the same time I still feel liek a new car should operate smooth and not have issues. For example I have noticed the issue goign from 1st to 2nd when it is cold out and as the car warms up it does get better so that I can live with. But if I had an issue (Noise) or strange feel to the stick when goign from 2nd to 3rd on a constant basis then I woudl be annoyed by it.

I guess if it does nto bother you then no big deal. As long as nothing bad is happening to the gears, stick, clutch, etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.