Mazda3 Forums banner

What weight to you all think feels best?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
to be completly honest i have the cobb weight and...................what a waste of money. i couldnt tell a difference at all........o well

·
Registered
94 Posts
How would you describe the shifter feel difference with stock weight removed?

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=Refonbass link=topic=137954.msg2974393#msg2974393 date=1236133220]
How would you describe the shifter feel difference with stock weight removed?
[/quote]
Controlable. Hard question to anwser. Very hard to discribe. Its only 2 10mm bolts to remove. Just try it. I love the difference. Its more like, "click!" and you KNOW it's in gear. As opposed to the shifter going into gears itself. Just try it. If you don't care for it, put it back.

·
Registered
94 Posts
cool, thanks. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
my take is that with the weight removed, the shifter is easier to push around with (go figure...less mass to move when you shift... :lol:), but the drawback is that it tends to be less controllable, imo. it's easier to misshift because it's sloppier as you go through the shift gates. this "problem" becomes more apparent when you get a STS, because any ambiguity in locating the shift gates is a real PITA now that the shift throw is so short. the reason i went with the cobb shifter weight is because the decreased throw caused the shifter to become a little rougher than i wanted it to be, so i wanted to loosen up the shifts a bit. unfortunately, completely removing the shifter weight caused to much slop when it came time to get the shifter into a particular shift gate, so having a small shifter weight was the best solution for me.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
i have the cobb weight...it feels a LITTLE different than stock....I would say don't spend your money on this unless you need the clearance....$35 can be spent else where that makes more of a difference.....maybe try CS inserts or something...hehe

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=Sacrilicious link=topic=137954.msg2976181#msg2976181 date=1236204719]
my take is that with the weight removed, the shifter is easier to push around with (go figure...less mass to move when you shift... :lol:), but the drawback is that it tends to be less controllable, imo. it's easier to misshift because it's sloppier as you go through the shift gates. this "problem" becomes more apparent when you get a STS, because any ambiguity in locating the shift gates is a real PITA now that the shift throw is so short. the reason i went with the cobb shifter weight is because the decreased throw caused the shifter to become a little rougher than i wanted it to be, so i wanted to loosen up the shifts a bit. unfortunately, completely removing the shifter weight caused to much slop when it came time to get the shifter into a particular shift gate, so having a small shifter weight was the best solution for me.
[/quote]
Got it! Makes perfect CENTS.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
for the record, if you're sure you'd like a smaller shift weight, the cheapest way to do it is just to take a grinder to the stock weight...:D

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=Sacrilicious link=topic=137954.msg2978074#msg2978074 date=1236285709]
for the record, if you're sure you'd like a smaller shift weight, the cheapest way to do it is just to take a grinder to the stock weight...:D
[/quote]
+1 for that.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Heh. I took a drill press to mines, and bored a few holes through it to lighten it up a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts