Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car opened up and go all the way down to removing the two shifter cables from the stock shifter.

Um... yeah.

These sons of bitches aren't coming off, and I don't want to fight them too much and risk breaking them.

I've been searching these forums for a good half hour now and a lot of people say "Just use a flathead screwdriver and they will come off"

That's great. HOW? I've tried twisting, pushing, hammering, and all other sorts of conventional methods to try and get these things off. Am I jsut going to have to wedge the screwdriver in and beat it to death until it gives?

Can anyone help? I'd really like to get this done.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
is ur base for shifter still screwed on.. or u unscrewed it first and trying to remove shifter cables now ? and shifter cables u mean the ones attached to the little balls on the shifter... or the shifter cables holders on the big base ?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=lucaspl88 link=topic=135321.msg2912505#msg2912505 date=1233782006]
is ur base for shifter still screwed on.. or u unscrewed it first and trying to remove shifter cables now ? and shifter cables u mean the ones attached to the little balls on the shifter... or the shifter cables holders on the big base ?
[/quote]

Base shifter is still bolted to the frame. I'm talking about the very end of the cable. The two rings attached to the small balls on the left hand side. I need to take those OFF the shifter and they are being stubborn.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
take a big flathead screw driver...... i know u heard that before... but get the clip thats on the ball.... all the way up.. so u have a big gap on the bottom of it.. and pry it from the bottom.. it worked like a charm for me

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You can use a screwdriver on each side of the ball mount, under the cable. Use one to stabilize the cable end, and the other to pop the cable off. The cable ends only really want to come off that ball straight out, if they are cocked to the side they can be stubborn. hee heee I said cock (oh geez and ball). Or a set of needlenose pliers opened up will do about the same. It does take some pretty decent pressure to get them to pop off, but it will go.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say pry, you mean wedge the tip of the screwdriver against the ball's joint, lay the shaft of the driver up against the ring, they lever it off pulling upwards?

So basically I'm just going to have to put a good amount of force.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
yea they are easy to pop off.. :)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
use 1 on each side to pop them off if you're worried about breaking, sort of how you use a pickle fork to break a ball joint loose. it'll give more surface area so the plastic bushing wont crack. they are on there pretty well though.

·
Registered
23,038 Posts
yeah you definately have to use a cringe-worthy amount of force... but dont worry :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HOLY SHIT.

That was fuckin infuriating. That metal spring pisses me off. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to get that son of a bitch open so I could slip the shifter in. I had to take the white knob piece off just so I could angle it in. Put nasty nicks ALL OVER the spring from some pliers, and scratched the shit out of the blue color where the spring sits, but finally got it on.

Everything else was not too bad. Even the cables were a piece of cake compared to that damn spring.

It's on now. New problem, though. I got a new shift boot for it but the damn thing doesn't fit properly. I need to make some cuts to make it work.

Hooray for inconvenience!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
hey.. u wanna play ?? u gotta pay :)

·
Registered
23,038 Posts
the best way to deal with the spring is to use vice grips and have a second person handy.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=lucaspl88 link=topic=135321.msg2912834#msg2912834 date=1233792254]
hey.. u wanna play ?? u gotta pay :)
[/quote]

Lol, I already know. I did my own angel eyes. I EARNED my right to bitch.

[quote author=Ally link=topic=135321.msg2912886#msg2912886 date=1233793559]
the best way to deal with the spring is to use vice grips and have a second person handy.
[/quote]

The whole time I thought, "I wish I had my freind Rob here"

Me and him help each other on our cars.

It's altogether. Drove it around and makes me wonder how the hell I tolerated the stocker at all. I love the crisp, notchy feel. It's not sticky at all. I used a generous amount of grease. The custom boot was kinda meh out of it's bag, but fits suprisingly well after some slight altering. Will take pic when it's light again.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yeah, that freaking spring took up 90% of the time when installing my STS, too. Everything else was a piece of cake. Which shifter did you get?

·
Registered
235 Posts
and i quote

[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=135321.msg2917083#msg2917083 date=1233933099]
were we talking about the cables on the tranny or shifter, same procedure for the tranny end???
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts