Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a 3 (hoping to see the person tomorrow). The car is in excellent shape aside from 1 problem: the shift solenoid C.

I know the solenoid itself is easy to get to, but I've also heard that this problem can be other, more serious issues with the transmission. The person I talked to said they never had a problem with the car shifting until the code showed up. The car does have 140k miles. Transmission fluid I do not think was ever changed.

Do you think that this is too big a risk? Think I should chance it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had the same problem with my tranny and ended up scrapping it after reading same thing about solenoid C not being the possible culprit and didn't wanted to risk it. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!!!

I bought the 3. I got him down to 1,000 for it. It needs sway bar links bad, tires, and I told him there was possible transmission issues more serious then the shift C solenoid. I took a dive and got the solenoid but also have a transmission lined up in case this fails. I'm comfortable doing the work so I'm not worried about that part. Had to dealer the solenoid. From what I read on alldata as long as the shift c solenoid is the only code that pops up (and you don't have the codes for gearing issues) then it's most likely the solenoid. But if I pop the pan monday and it's full of crap then I'll have a transmission lined up. Got one from a mazda friend for 300 bucks.

I'll post some pics in the daylight tomorrow

Good:

Paid 1k for the car
CLEAN engine bay (looks totally mint)
Very clean interior minus carpet/seats (seats need scrubbed, carpet isn't great and might not come out)
Underbody is clean and free of rust

Bad:

Some rust forming on the doors (not serious but want to get it done before it's serious. Should just need grinded down and cleaned up. Doesn't need patched)
Rust on the top of the wheel arch (this is the biggest problem)
Shift "C" solenoid code
sway bar links

Thankfully I can do mechanical work myself and am not worried about sway bar links or the transmission work. Can do myself. The rust is the only costly thing. As soon as I get the car "running" it's going in to get fixed. Friend of the family does good body work but I'm not going to be able to show him the car and get it quoted until the car runs. It's been towed to my house (don't want to risk ruining a transmission that might only need a solenoid).

The good news is that I did do a test drive of it and it does shift fine when the code is cleared. As soon as the check engine light comes on and that code pops up, the car won't go into manual shift and it has issues going from 2nd to 3rd, 4th to 3rd.. But when the code isn't there, it seems to do just fine switching gears. But it doesn't take long for the code to show up.

I figure for 1k it wasn't too bad of a deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

Yesterday got the transmission pan off. Not so good. Called around today and found a used transmission with ~74k miles for $300. Picked it up and it looked good. Should have it in by tonight. Also got the sway bar links but didn't put them in yet since I got the transmission out.

Thank god for chilton manuals!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can almost guarantee you that if you are getting the code for shifter solenoid, it's not the solenoid. If the transmission goes into limp mode, your transmission computer is done. Couple of months back, there were about 4 of us that had the same issue or very similar issue. All of us solved our problems by replacing the TCM with a brand new one. Tascapart can the get the TCM at the best price. I would've bought mine through him but I needed my car operational right away so I didn't wait

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that! The car is shifting great now. New transmission feels amazing.

Car has a few more problems I'm dealing with but I still feel like I got it at a good deal. Car bounces horribly over bumps so I'm going to replace front struts and rear shocks. But yeah when I dropped the pan out of the old transmission I could tell it had seen better days.. I don't think the previous owner changed his transmission fluid as often as it should have been..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys!!!

I bought the 3. I got him down to 1,000 for it. It needs sway bar links bad, tires, and I told him there was possible transmission issues more serious then the shift C solenoid. I took a dive and got the solenoid but also have a transmission lined up in case this fails. I'm comfortable doing the work so I'm not worried about that part. Had to dealer the solenoid. From what I read on alldata as long as the shift c solenoid is the only code that pops up (and you don't have the codes for gearing issues) then it's most likely the solenoid. But if I pop the pan monday and it's full of crap then I'll have a transmission lined up. Got one from a mazda friend for 300 bucks.

I'll post some pics in the daylight tomorrow

Good:

Paid 1k for the car
CLEAN engine bay (looks totally mint)
Very clean interior minus carpet/seats (seats need scrubbed, carpet isn't great and might not come out)
Underbody is clean and free of rust

Bad:

Some rust forming on the doors (not serious but want to get it done before it's serious. Should just need grinded down and cleaned up. Doesn't need patched)
Rust on the top of the wheel arch (this is the biggest problem)
Shift "C" solenoid code
sway bar links

Thankfully I can do mechanical work myself and am not worried about sway bar links or the transmission work. Can do myself. The rust is the only costly thing. As soon as I get the car "running" it's going in to get fixed. Friend of the family does good body work but I'm not going to be able to show him the car and get it quoted until the car runs. It's been towed to my house (don't want to risk ruining a transmission that might only need a solenoid).

The good news is that I did do a test drive of it and it does shift fine when the code is cleared. As soon as the check engine light comes on and that code pops up, the car won't go into manual shift and it has issues going from 2nd to 3rd, 4th to 3rd.. But when the code isn't there, it seems to do just fine switching gears. But it doesn't take long for the code to show up.

I figure for 1k it wasn't too bad of a deal.
Where and how did you find where to buy the shift solenoid C? I've got to try and change one out too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good work my friend, guessing used trans came with a TCM maybe. Otherwise, don't be surprised if TCM croaks. I am one of the ones that dealt with this a few months back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts