Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ok.. This was my fault.
First day of snow in MD. 29F outside. One inch on the ground only. I was leaving home behind my girlfriend to make sure she got home safe.
She did. I didn't!!!!!!

As I was leaving my MS3 went RIGHT THRU A STOP SIGN! IT DID NOT STOP! Luckily no one was coming at that time. They hadn't applied any salt on the road yet either.

I turned around coz I freaked out and wanted to go back home. Then it got worse. I had to go down a little slope. There was snow on the road at that time. I was doing 5-10mph... the tires were skidding and skidding and I kept on turning and turning. I hit the brake as hard as I could but them TIRES DID NOT WANT TO STAY IN CONTACT! ABS, TRACTION CONTROL, all those electronic nannies can't counter the CRAPPY tires.

I hit the curb at approx. 10-20 degrees... and F**!!

This is where it happened... you can still see my marks from the tires.

I don't know what that thing is called... but it bent and my right wheel almost won't turn. I contact my insurance already... we'll see how this goes. THIS SUCKS :(
I've driven in the snow before, 3 different cars even an SUV and never had this happened to me.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR OUT IF THERE'S SNOW/ICE ON THE GROUND!

Shit.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
yep, mazda seems to put crap tires on the cars. they dont last long either, or our 16" and 17" stock tires dont at least.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Wow, this is crazy, 10mph??? You know, I have been following your posts since like a month ago, and lookin at these pics makes me feel like my own car got hit. :( :( :( :( :( :(

I can't believe you were goin that slow too. I hope insurance takes care of it all and the car is back to new asap.

I am guessin you won't be drivin it in the snow anymore...but I think you understeered. What I do is lay off the brakes and turn the steering wheel. Guess the advice won't really help now. :(

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The tires are 'summer performance' tires.
NOT WINTER TIRES. heck, they aren't even all season.

It sucks that you hurt your new speed3 tho! but seriously, I see this all the time. Ppl around here forget how to drive in the winter when it first snows. THe tire shops get crazy busy. Its not that difficult to put some allseasons or winter tires on BEFORE it snows if you plan to drive in the winter.

Unless you have some super duper cool insurance company and plan, i dont think they will do much once they find out you had summer tires on. Maybe hope they don't find out? :D

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
oye...dude....ouch...stop it, you're making me cry! :( NO GOOD!!!! Sorry to hear about this man but holy crap that sucks... :(

I hope that all goes well with the repair :(

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=Saitech link=topic=67519.msg1161426#msg1161426 date=1169427330]
Wow, this is crazy, 10mph??? You know, I have been following your posts since like a month ago, and lookin at these pics makes me feel like my own car got hit. :( :( :( :( :( :(

I can't believe you were goin that slow too. I hope insurance takes care of it all and the car is back to new asap.

I am guessin you won't be drivin it in the snow anymore...but I think you understeered. What I do is lay off the brakes and turn the steering wheel. Guess the advice won't really help now. :(

Keep us posted.
[/quote]

:wtc:
thanks... yeah I was going THAT SLOW since I was scared coz of the stop sign scare the minute before; and yes I was understeering but that was in the beggining (until it struck me - what to do, that is). I put the steering wheel straight and let off the brake (for a sec) but the car was ON ICE! I panicked, slammed the brake and ABS did the best it could but it was just too damn slippery for the tires (and even an F250 that couldn't go up that hill).

You can see the steering angle in the next 2 pictures. I slammed like curb like there was no tomorrow, at a very peaceful 10mph. I DID NOT EXPECT THAT FREAKING ROD TO BEND!!!!!!

NO SNOW WITH THAT CAR ANYMORE. I'm using my gf's (mine after all :?) when it snows.
Since the car is SO new I guess I don't feel that bad (yet). Hopefully it will be over before I know it.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, you may want to consider having "All Season" tires on before driving in snow again.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=67519.msg1161446#msg1161446 date=1169428160]
oye...dude....ouch...stop it, you're making me cry! :( NO GOOD!!!! Sorry to hear about this man but holy crap that sucks... :(

I hope that all goes well with the repair :(
[/quote]

Tell me about it Matt. Tell me...
I hope they take care of the bumper as well, and maybe the rim? :(

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Good thing you were going that slow, any faster and that pole would have been imprinted in your front end.

This was not the best outcome but it's better than the worst.

Definitely invest in some winter tires now. I think there are two companies that fit on our 18's, and since those wheels are damaged, might as well stick the winters on these (unless your insurance replaces them for good).

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
You probably hit it at a bad angle and the car isn't exactly light. Like Bossboy said, get some snow tires if you plan to drive in the snow. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=bossboy link=topic=67519.msg1161438#msg1161438 date=1169428028]
The tires are 'summer performance' tires.
NOT WINTER TIRES. heck, they aren't even all season.

It sucks that you hurt your new speed3 tho! but seriously, I see this all the time. Ppl around here forget how to drive in the winter when it first snows. THe tire shops get crazy busy. Its not that difficult to put some allseasons or winter tires on BEFORE it snows if you plan to drive in the winter.

Unless you have some super duper cool insurance company and plan, i dont think they will do much once they find out you had summer tires on. Maybe hope they don't find out? :D

[/quote]

They are RSA... and even if they weren't don't you think that Mazda will put a BIG ASS disclaimer everywhere to let you know that they don't want to be held responsible for accidents in the snow because THEY WARNED you about what tires you were getting.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=leofaye link=topic=67519.msg1161473#msg1161473 date=1169428960]
They are RSA... and even if they weren't don't you think that Mazda will put a BIG ASS disclaimer everywhere to let you know that they don't want to be held responsible for accidents in the snow because THEY WARNED you about what tires you were getting.
[/quote]

That does not look like the Eagle RSA tread design. Looks more like a cheap Kuhmo to me.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote author=maudi3 link=topic=67519.msg1161477#msg1161477 date=1169429086]
[quote author=leofaye link=topic=67519.msg1161473#msg1161473 date=1169428960]
[/quote]

That does not look like the Eagle RSA tread design. Looks more like a cheap Kuhmo to me.
[/quote]

Wait a sec. You may be right, they are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. NOT RSA
This doesn't make sense. I have to take a look at the window sticker again and see what it says there.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=leofaye link=topic=67519.msg1161491#msg1161491 date=1169429566]
Wait a sec. You may be right, they are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. NOT RSA
This doesn't make sense. I have to take a look at the window sticker again and see what it says there.
[/quote]

Yeah. The RSA= "All Season" the Bridestones = summer only

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=Saitech link=topic=67519.msg1161508#msg1161508 date=1169429930]
MS3 come with Potenza and they are definitely summer only tires.
[/quote]

For all I know it's all rubber... and at 5-10 mph there shouldn't be a lot of differences. 30+ mph and yeah, let's talk winter tires.
BUT DAMN... it's all rubber.

Next time I'll wrap TROJAN-EZ around my 4 tires!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=67519.msg1161515#msg1161515 date=1169430126]
I had fun the week of snow we had
me and my mazdasled3
[/quote] :grr: :rtfm:

very funny... :(

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
yeah, smokinamd put his speed3 in a garage for the winter since he had hardly any traction in just wet conditions. I think Mazda should remind customers that the tires that come on the speed3 should not be used in winter driving conditions.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Yeah it does suck LEO, just gotta be carefull

I slide sideways down a hill in downtown Tacoma, here in Washington, it was a steep grade hill and I just slid, i did hit the curb when i pulled the e-brake but there was so much snow it cushioned the curb and no damage was done. BTW i ended up 2 blocks down from where i was supposed to go, faceing the wrong direction and in the wrong lane when i finally stopped :lol:

1 - 20 of 162 Posts