Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a cool/wild story? Share it!

I actually didn't get to drive this weekend :)(), but I've got an interesting story. Got to witness an RX-8 spin out into a water barrier. It was pretty wild, heard screeching tires about 50/75 yards away from where I was, looked and saw a huge wall of water go up with a bang. Apparently coming out of a slalolm he got unsettled (carrying far too much speed), overcompensated trying to save it, tried to power out of it but couldn't save it and it snapped around backwards into the barrier. It was a pretty bizarre accident. Thankfully it hit the barrier, other wise it would have been in the timing booth :shock:

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote author=R3d Baron link=topic=136406.msg2939567#msg2939567 date=1234759276]
Got a cool/wild story? Share it!

I actually didn't get to drive this weekend :)(), but I've got an interesting story. Got to witness an RX-8 spin out into a water barrier. It was pretty wild, heard screeching tires about 50/75 yards away from where I was, looked and saw a huge wall of water go up with a bang. Apparently coming out of a slalolm he got unsettled (carrying far too much speed), overcompensated trying to save it, tried to power out of it but couldn't save it and it snapped around backwards into the barrier. It was a pretty bizarre accident. Thankfully it hit the barrier, other wise it would have been in the timing booth :shock:
[/quote]
That's when it all goes wrong. Some people will never learn.

I'm guessing this was at the HPA? I saw a very experienced Vette driver once spin and end up backwards parked between 2 cars as if he had parallel parked it just touching one of the bumpers of a BMW. It was like out of a movie. After that no cars have been allowed to park in that area.

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was. I couldn't believe he tried to power out of it (on nearly bald tires no less)... you never do that. Second you start to lose it two feet in...

I heard about that actually, people were talking about it after the accident happened. Apparently it was Gerald's bimmer that it almost hit (don't know if you know him, he drives an m coupe)

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote author=R3d Baron link=topic=136406.msg2940109#msg2940109 date=1234799050]
Yeah it was. I couldn't believe he tried to power out of it (on nearly bald tires no less)... you never do that. Second you start to lose it two feet in...

I heard about that actually, people were talking about it after the accident happened. Apparently it was Gerald's bimmer that it almost hit (don't know if you know him, he drives an m coupe)
[/quote]
Yes, I was trying to remember who's car it was, but you're right.

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully the next bmw club run will be a little more uneventful

looking forward to scca on the 8th though :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had lots of fun autocrossing for about 15years, then I found HPDE. Did that for a while and now it's 24 hours of Lemons after racing in the last one at MSR Houston. Will be there Feb 28th for the next one in a Taurus SHO. Crap car racing rules!

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the lemons race must be a blast. I saw this old rx-7 at the last scca event that looked it would have competed, poor car :(

are you the silver speed I see there sometimes on weekends every now and then? I see a white one and black one too

·
Registered
368 Posts
No that's not me. I don't go there very much. But it is lots of fun to drive a shit car around the track to try to make it to the end. We finished 43rd after an engine swap last time. The guys that run the deal are a total blast. If you can go down there and pay $20 bucks for the day just to watch what all goes on. It's really crazy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts