Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some help with respect to a 2008 2.3L valve job.

We replaced the valves with new ones, lapped them, and tested with soapy water and compressed air - all valves were nice and tight. The problem comes when checking the solid lifter valve lash. Despite the fact that the new valves have the same dimensions as the originals, we’re finding a need to use different lifter ‘thicknesses’ to get it right.

The only way I see to check the lash would be to install each cylinder’s valves one by one (2 intakes, 2 exhausts), install the 2 cam shafts, measure between cam base circle and top of valve stem (using a fat stack of feeler gauge blades - which doesn’t lend itself to accuracy), then deduct the lash to establish the lifter thickness...then move on to the next cylinder. Does this sound right? Seems pretty tedious and time consuming, especially on an assembly line.

My questions are:
  • does anybody know the factory procedure for setting the lash, or an easy method to set up the head?
  • also, is anybody selling used lifters of various thicknesses?

Thanks in advance - any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't have any experience with the valve adjustments, but the factory service manual does review the valve clearance inspection/adjustment process (starting on 01-10A-6 in my electronic copy):

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any experience with the valve adjustments, but the factory service manual does review the valve clearance inspection/adjustment process (starting on 01-10A-6 in my electronic copy):
View attachment 105812
Hatch06, thanks so much for responding! All we’ve been working with is a Haynes manual, and of course it falls short in many circumstances. The information you posted it just what I’m looking for, even though it’s sending me down a tedious path. I was hoping for an easy way out, but that’s the risk we take when the learning curve is steep as we try to save lots of cash! LOL. In the procedure you posted, they mention another section about making adjustments - 01-10A-7 - which seems like the next page. Would you kindly post that as well? It might give me some more insight for later on if need be. Now if I could just find some good, used lifters, I’ll be back on track!
Again, thanks for your time -

1 - 3 of 3 Posts