Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 with only 5000 miles on it that I have owned since last September. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, I tend to pretty heavy on the accelerator.
I had Mazda perform the first oil change at 2200 miles. The oil was almost clear when it was changed. By the time it got to 4400 miles, the oil was VERY dirty. And it is not kind of a golden brown. It has more of a black tint to it. I have never added a drop of oil as it stays full.
What is the deal here? I have never seen oil dirty like this in so few miles or on a car this new. I should not have to change the oil every 2000 miles. Does this sound weird to anyone? It sure does to me.
I also have a Mazdaspeed MX-5 with over 20000 miles on it. The oil is as clear when I get it changed as it is on the day they put it in the car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The color of oil often has very little to do with how dirty it is. Some additive packages darken very quickly (500-1000 miles) when exposed to engine heat. Mobil 1 is well known for this.

The truth is that the look of an oil tells you very little. I've heard people smelling their oil, and I don't lend much credit to that either (unless the smell is overwhelmingly of gas/burnt oil/sulfur or something).

You should try to run shorter intervals with this car, as it has a way of diluting the oil with fuel. Shoot for 3500-4500 max, unless you get UOA's that say otherwise, as the oil is the oil thins and the flash point falls with high fuel dilution, not to mention it does not lubricate quite as well.

·
Registered
518 Posts
yeah the first thousand some miles it will be nasty dark. After a oil change or two it should be lighter but depends how often you change oil and if you go synthetic... no worries though from "dark" oil with only 5k. I noticed the same thing at my first oil change.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The oil out of our cars will look more like the oil out of a diesel due to the direct injection. DI has a side effect of producing more soot that ends up in the oil. It's nothing to worry about. Just keep your changes in a good interval 3K to 5K using a nice synthetic and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Changing your oil to often actually results in more engine wear according to UOA's over on BITOG. Stick with a quality filter as well. When my warranty's up I'm going with the spin on conversion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I checked mine for the hell of it at around 900 miles and it was pretty black already. This car runs so PIG rich on boost, I'll be changing mine at 3K and putting synthetic in it every time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts