Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. my parents 1995 mercury sable..

They want to go through carmax.. is that a good choice? does anyone have experience selling the car with carmax?

thanks

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=110351.msg2274337#msg2274337 date=1209515397]
You would probably get more money if you advertise in a local paper or on craigslist.
[/quote]

I agree. Carmax is good only if you're in a pinch or as a last resort.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=110351.msg2274344#msg2274344 date=1209515511]

I agree. Carmax is good only if you're in a pinch or as a last resort.
[/quote]

That's not true. Carmax is perfectly fine if you're selling them a vehicle they can sell on their lot. If you're giving them something they have to auction, don't expect much.

For a 1995 vehicle, though, Carmax should be your LAST resort.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Most won't know what Carmax can and can't sell on their lot. They make money by taking it from those buying and selling cars from and to them.

With this, I feel Carmax should be a last resort.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=110351.msg2274379#msg2274379 date=1209516227]
Most won't know what Carmax can and can't sell on their lot. They make money by taking it from those buying and selling cars from and to them.

With this, I feel Carmax should be a last resort.
[/quote]

Well, if your car is a late model, lower mileage (<60k miles) and hasn't been wrecked, it's a pretty good bet they'll take it. It's not rocket science, I've sold several vehicles to them and don't have a single complaint.

Not to mention it only takes about 15 minutes to get their bid. I really can't hurt....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the car is essentially immaculate.. runs great, serviced well, and just over 60k.. no accidents..
Time is an issue - so like you said, cant hurt to get an estimate and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more q - when the car gets sold... do i get any proof of sale so to say.. a copy of the title saying the car is no longer mine etc..?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Carmax would probably give you $500 to 1k for it. You can probably get 2k+ selling it yourself. So if time is important and 1k isn't than Carmax is the way to go.

When you sell, you sign over the title and receive a bill of sale. The vehicle is then (or should) be registered by it's new owner.

On a normal trade, I work to hard to give my money to a megadealer.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Check Carmax...they might give u a good price....they offered me 5k for my 3 and I laughed at them and told them to give my keys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts