Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the deal..1st I have searched a lot and read a lot which both has attributed to my indesicion and confused me. I originally bought the exhaust to get a better exhaust tone and primarily for the 4" tip (which I thought said Mazdaspeed on it, mine does not :() Anyway I was searching for somewhere to get this thing installed and not spend an arm and a leg. I then thought maybe I can use clamps to put it on.. its cut in two places, 1 is the normal place the second is between the cats, and I can do it myself.. when I started reading...

I don't want my car to be any louder inside nor do I care about it being louder while driving. I woudl liek a lower note, but with my new F5 I am satisfied. So I need help deciding and here is what I am wondering...

- can the Muffler and tip be installed to my OEM MZ3 exhaust? Sounds dumb when I say it, but I guess it would get the look I want and maybe change the note slightly.. sorry Im noob when it comes to exhaust...
- does anyone make a nice muffler and tip to attach to the end in place of the OEM.. one that isn't ricer and sounds like a weed whacker.

I guess I just don't really want to fool with the hassle of getting it welded up and then not liking the louder sound inside, when I am happy with what I have. Just woudl liek something other than that dinky tip I have now on my 2.3.. so I guess I need to try and sell the Speed3 CBE

thanks for taking the time to help!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean I would love to see some gains, would love to have nice sound. I am just not sure if I am ready to have it louder inside.. Some say its hard to hear others with it in... and 3's aren't the quietest to begin with when it comes to road noise.... if it wasn't such a PITA to go get it welded up.. if I could install it at home and then see what I think if I don't like it I pull it off. Possible? I think I can get someone here at work to weld the 1st cut, and then could I use one of those borla solid clamps to clamp the other cut? Its very very clean. That way I can install it and then if I hate it I pull it off... or do I have to change the hangers?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
If you want it quiet, change out the 2nd resonator with magnaflow muffler 12616 and possibly a high flow cat 53006. This will make it about as quiet as it will be.

But, if noise is really an issue then just go with a tip.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Just install it and quit bein a pansy. You know you're just going to end up with a full setup eventually anyhow. We all do, no matter how much we say we're only doing a 'few' mods... lol it never happens.

DO IT!!!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
[quote author=aps11090 link=topic=138442.msg2983471#msg2983471 date=1236621190]
Just install it and quit bein a pansy. You know you're just going to end up with a full setup eventually anyhow. We all do, no matter how much we say we're only doing a 'few' mods... lol it never happens.

DO IT!!!
[/quote]
that is so true... i agree with that 100%

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn you all and your peer pressure!!! I am a Pansie for sure.. I hate with a passion going to a mechanic to get work done! Already I am going to have to get my MS wheel demounted once they are powder coated and the new tires come in I have to get them remounted, and after the suspension goes on I need to get it aligned.. damn thats my quota of Mechanic trips for 3 years! as the violin plays in the background :nice: but yeah I went to pick up my daughter to take her to her grandmothers.. and the F5 just isn't doing it completely for me soo I guess on goes the MS CBE :) I will get some one to weld up the first cut here at the shop.. and then they can do the last one at wherever I take it. Question... what else has to be done to it by the shop when they install other than that one weld?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok I did it its on :) I love it! but I must be getting old or I am a pansy... I can feel it vibrating inside.. I love that its not raspy at all, but its soo deep it almost hurts your ears inside. What can I do to fix that.. I honestly don't think its all that loud outside. I am not sure if I got mine hooked up the same as all of yours or if my Fujita makes it diff. but I feel like I am in a can. Any suggestions? dynamat in the trunk, anything?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
FYI. sounds like you got the mazdaspeed3 OEM exhaust. the tip does not say mazdaspeed, nor does it use clamps... the one that does is the mazdaspeed accessory exhaust.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Verto..
your 100% right...
OEM MS3 CBE = cat back exhaust from a Mazdaspeed 3... 4" tip... does not say "mazdaspeed" on it.. no clamps... welds going together.... also requires either a test pipe, highflow cat, or reuse of your stock cat.
MAZDASPEED CBE = Cat back from mazda.. uses clamps.. a lot of claims with rust/leakage at least from what ive read

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I knew I was not getting the Accessories CBE, but for some reason I thought they all had Mazdaspeed on them.. no biggie.. not sure if that was to me anyway:

could the loudness inside have anything to do with me not extending the tip? It sits about 3" from flush with the exhaust opening of the bumper.... or am I just drawing at straws here? It really is not that loud outside, I don't think, but it resonates a lot inside... feels like back pressure in your ears even......

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've been thinking about modifying my MS3 exhaust. I have one less cat, I love the sound but sometimes I feel as though a lot of the sound is retained in the cab of the car. When I get in my buddies speed with corksport turboback catless exhaust, his sounds a lot more like the exhaust exits behind the car. Where my MS3 OEM exhaust sounds like it dumps right under my drivers seat. I've been thinking about removing the OEM muffler off of it and seeing what that does. Corksports exhaust uses no muffler it seems, just two resonators. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We are in the same boat I believe.. though I have the sedan and I think mine may be a tad bit quieter because of the trunk.... but I feel like yeah all the pressure is dumping there behind the seat. I think my main prob. right now is the fact my tip is sooo far back, I think I am catching a lot of the sound under the car.... maybe maybe not... When they put my OEM exhaust they put it on with the two resonators and the muffler....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm interesting! that makes sense as it does sound like its getting trapped under the car... just so I am clear you are talking about the muffler right before the tail pipe exit right? I just got my magnaflow muffler in to go right before the axle on one of the resonators.. may have to rethink how I set this up then... need to extend the tail pipe anyway :) Wonder what would happen if it was set up like this.... MS resonator, Magnaflow muffler, then just pipe to the end..?

·
Registered
582 Posts
My setup was...

Cat in header -> resonator -> resonator -> OEM muffler -> Tail pipe

It is now...

Cat in header -> resonator -> resonator -> straight pipe-> Tail pipe

If I were you I would either replace the current muffler with your magnaflow, or if you want remove the muffler and replace it with straight pipe AND remove one of your resonators and put your magnaflow in its place. Up to you though, but definitely removed the OEM muffler.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm yeah trying to decide.. guess since I have it might as well replace one of the resonators with the magnaflow then take out OEM muffler
Cat in header - Resonator - Magnaflow - straight pipe - tail pipe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts