Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really pissed at myself for rushing it in the freezing cold. Anyways, took off my HKS valve fine to put on recirc fitting. Decided I wanted to try the stocker again, and the bottom bolt broke on me. The top bolt I was able to hand turn all the way, then tighten. The bottom bolt (tried without bpv attached, and another bolt) would not make it through the threads. Knowing my car would not run without the bpv, I decided to pretty much force it, resulting in breaking. I noticed immediately it was also crooked, with less than 1/8 sticking out. I tried vice grips for over an hour, and made it worse. The bolt broke more, and now I can't latch on at all. Weak ass bolts! My car is not driveable, and need some desparte advise.

WTF are my options? Does anybody know where I can purchase a brand new OEM cold pipe? I mean, I need to order like tonight, overnight shipping. Should I take the cold pipe off, and try to find a shop to drill it out, and re-thread it? Will that be reliable enough? Anyone know the dimensions of the stock bolt / thread? Are there aftermarket cold pipe options that are better?

Obviously I'm freaking out. Probably b/c I CANT DRIVE anywhere! Seriously, any help or suggestions woudl be appreciated big time. Will try to post pics by tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
dude this shit happened to me!!!! had to drill the hole out, take the cold pipe itself out (4 bolts, be careful :p)
and drill as strait as you can. its not that hard really

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
damn i heard way too many horror stories of this cursed cold pipe :lol:

every time i play with my BOV...i REALLY take my time and goes easy with the 2 bolts...I just heard way too many stories of people stripping bolts and threads on this cold pipe

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took off the cold pipe tonight, and taking it to a machine shop tommorow. Any guesses on charge for a drill out, tap, and helicoil job? Hopfully $50 or less.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had one of the little bolts on my MS CAI break off in the MAF housing... took it to a Machine shop and the owner of the shop drilled/pulled it out, threads were still fine. I asked him how much and he said, "That was so easy I'd feel bad if I charged you to do it." :lol: I tried to offer him money anyways but he refused.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it to a machine shop on lunch break today, and they tapped it, and used a helicoil to keep the bolt size stock at M6x1.0. Should have the car running again tomorow. :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
[quote author=evo2ms3 link=topic=135245.msg2918528#msg2918528 date=1233966530]
Took it to a machine shop on lunch break today, and they tapped it, and used a helicoil to keep the bolt size stock at M6x1.0. Should have the car running again tomorow. :)

[/quote]

how much did it cost ya?

cold pipe is mother fucking expensive from mazda...so this thread will be handy in the future

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He quoted me $42 for the job with helicoil. It was the third shop I took it too, and nobody could fit me in for the day. So I tipped an extra $20 to this shop to get it done within the hour. So, for me $62 lol. I figured the helicoil kit was $30 off amazon, so really just $12 more for a machinist to do the job. Worth it to me, b/c if I messed it up I'd have to pay the $180+ for the OEM piece I was quoted....and wait another week for the part.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Could have just drilled all the way through and put a nut and bolt on it??

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
sure if you dont mind using a bigger bolt, and that means you would also have to drill through your aftermarket AND stock BPV in order to accomodate that

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
na i didnt have to drill my bpv. just the hole. just make sure drill striat, not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=mazda6 link=topic=135245.msg2919619#msg2919619 date=1234023824]
Could have just drilled all the way through and put a nut and bolt on it??
[/quote]

Yes, that could have been done, but I wanted to go with helicoil anyways.

Got everything back together today, and it all fits perfectly. Running the stock BPV for now b/c of :
1. I want to log it, and see if it leaks any.
2. I couldn't get to my recirc hose on the rpmc inlet to twist it so it will fit the HKS. It wasn't worth the time to take off part of the intake to get to it. Any easier ways to get to the recirc hose? I'm ordering a new one from SU this week.
3. Downgraded a flash to 91oct to see if it will run a little richer. First two logs after 20miles says no. Still at 12.5AFR. If it doesnt go down I'll go back to 93oct b/c it had more boost and same AFR.

·
Registered
303 Posts
glad to see you got this done, and hell its done right and looks stealthy when its assembled. sorry i was the same skeeter149 helping you on the other forum lol. well bro glad its done and you learned a great tool with this... how to get yourself outta the hole:) well enjoy and drive safe bro.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts