Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the hell do all these scratches come from? That must be the softest piece of aluminum ever since my bare clean skin apparently scratches the hell out of the material. I thought it was likely to be my own problem until I started studying up on some of the short throw shifter threads....lotsa pics of scratched OEM MS3 shifter knobs out there.......

·
Registered
136 Posts
mine too and my buddy's as well. i think its the layer of whatever it is on that ring wears off over time and appears as scratches.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
SO IS MINE!! I figured out what it is from! Do any of you ever have female passangers? Mine got scratched from my girlfriend shifting gears for me (I KNOW, I KNOW). It's from her rings.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine is scratched to hell, because I
1) shut the car off
2) take the keys out of the ignition
3) put the car in gear
4) get out
5) and put the keys in my pocket.

My keys are in my right hand during step 3

Andrew

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's common as I suspected. Odd. I can't imagine where they come from. I don't have the keys in my hand, my wife can't drive stick, I don't wear a ring on my right hand. Granted, it's a small thing but hell, some companies make intake manifolds out of plastic these days that stuff must be tougher than the alum ring on the MS3 shift knob. Oh well, it is what it is....

·
Registered
165 Posts
[quote author=toolcrib link=topic=137185.msg2960317#msg2960317 date=1235575013]
Mine is scratched to hell, because I
1) shut the car off
2) take the keys out of the ignition
3) put the car in gear
4) get out
5) and put the keys in my pocket.

My keys are in my right hand during step 3

Andrew
[/quote]

Exactly :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
[quote author=i love jdm hoes link=topic=137185.msg2959239#msg2959239 date=1235525219]
SO IS MINE!! I figured out what it is from! Do any of you ever have female passangers? Mine got scratched from my girlfriend shifting gears for me (I KNOW, I KNOW). It's from her rings.
[/quote] That might be the cause of mine, too!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I grabbed the end of the seat belt once ... pulled it hard to move accross to the latch ... it locked up and BANGED onto the shift knob ... needless to say ... yes ... I have a big ole gash in the metal. I bought some buffing polish ... it did not work ... it's very soft metal ... chaulk it up to daily driver detail...

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
mine got scratched up a lot too but i tend to wear rings on my right hand haha. it started to look pretty haggard so i bought the silver CF autoEXE knob

·
Registered
518 Posts
I dont wear rings or let ppl shift for me. I think its from the buttons on the coat or the dealer scratched it as I did notice one after I got it back.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Mine is too! What a surprise right? :shock:

Anyway, I dont know where they came from, but they werent there one day and then they just seemed to appear out of nowhere

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=BoostIt link=topic=137185.msg2971980#msg2971980 date=1236045440]
Mine is too! What a surprise right? :shock:

Anyway, I dont know where they came from, but they werent there one day and then they just seemed to appear out of nowhere
[/quote]

My new theory is that the scratches are caused by shrapnel when you're trying to (unsuccesfully) grab 3rd......

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm an Orthodox Cristian, and we wear wedding rings on right hand.
That is how I scratched mine.
Now when I drive, I need to put it on the left hand, like all good Catholics, Protestants and so on... ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine is scrathed to hell as well. I think its from my keys in my hand when I put it in neutral after I take key out of the ignition.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts