Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen it up yet, so I figured I'd post a how-to on saving some weight.

Step 1:
Remove all trunk/deck components. The forward-most plastic tray is held in with 2 screws on either side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 2: The rear seat back rests are bolted in with six (6) 14mm bolts. There is no loctite on any bolts. Getting these things started takes some muscle. Take care when sliding the assembly through the doorspace.

Here's what we're looking at now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 3: The back seat ass-pad is secured via two (2) plastic rivet-like slots. From either back door, grab the front portion of the seat and simply lift up. Both sides should pop without much trouble.

Here we can see the female section under the ass-pad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 4: At the base of the front passenger seat, there are four clips covering the feet of the rails. Pop them off to expose the 14mm bolts. Again, getting them started takes some muscle. ***DO NOT*** just pull the seat out after removing the bolts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 5: Underneath the passenger seat is the passenger airbag sensor.

The sensor is the only piece with a cable running from the seat to the car. Removing it is easy, once you figure out where to squeeze.

Make sure you don't have the ignition set to Accy. Remove the sensor and place it under the seat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 6: Tilt the seat sideways. On the outboard side of the seat bottom, remove the plastic cover where the seatbelt is mounted to the seat. A 14mm bolt is now exposed.

Take care when sliding the seat out through the door space. The rails will easily scratch your car.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a shot from the rear showing an almost-empty cabin.

I put every piece on a scale, and when everything added up it came to about 160lbs. Most of the weight came from the rear of the car, and the rear was raised 1/2" with everything removed. While rolling, that 160lbs translates into a theoretical 16hp.
Accelration is significantly better. Roll-on from thrid 2nd and 3rd gears is stronger. The car is now more prone to oversteer due to the upset chassis dynamics. Pitching the car around is more fun, and I had more control over the rear end of the car, thus making for faster exit speeds.

Here's a small, crappy vid of me bumping the rev-limiter in first while doing a 0-60 run. Hitrting the limiter and spinning tires didn't help the time, but notice it reached the upper rpm register just a little quicker.

Hope ya' enjoy the write up! Next time, it's carpet/headliner/audio removal.

-Mods, if I put this in the wrong place, please move it. Sorry!

·
Registered
377 Posts
SICK! NICE WRITE UP!!!! i've been meaning to look into dropping the weight by dropping out the rear seats... thanks man GREAT WRITE UP! nomination for sticky?!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Great write up! I think I will be doing a little ripping out the seats once my 50000 mile warranty is up but only!IF! I ever get serious about competing. (it's always fun to rip cars apart! :lol:)
I wonder what the weight is just for the carpet and sound deadner? Strip that out and have just metal floors. But thats when you really start thinking about serious Compeitions
My sisters X had a civic that was stripped, new/modified ECU was hanging out under the dash on the passenger side, stripped floors...one seat...complete rollbar..the whole 9 yards. Only thing that it had that was still stock was the dash. He worked for some motorsports shop and that was his daily driver and his Comp car. went thruoght about 3 engines. (my sister hated that car) he worked part time for free at a motorsports shop...But since he worked for free....he got all free stuff and access the the garage. I think they ended up sponsering him.
But for every day driver......I don't think I would want my car that stripped.....and stepping over a roll bar on my lunch break....seems a litte crazy.....hm...or maybe not :D But before he took out his passenger seat, I took a drive with him one day....I'll tell you this....I never felt safer in any other car. tight chasis, seat belts and the roll bar...alot creaks and grouns...but solid! the car had a well planted feel
But anyways........gain...Great write up!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With all the carpeting and seats removed, the car is ridiculously loud inside. You hear every single pebble whacking and drop of water splashed up. Adds character :)
Where the weight needs to be removed is the Audio and A/C. I dissasembled the front door panels, audio, and window mech. and that alone came in near 23lbs each.
My tints are dark enough that someone would have to really try to see in. On a flip note, I had a guy in a new Z06 come up to me outside the local Verizon store: I opened the hatch throw something in the back when some dude rolls up and starts asking me how to make his car lighter. I simply asked him for a trade, heh. Guess he saw the sparse interior.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
stickied. great write up :goodjob:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys. Mazduh, everything can be re-installed in about 45 min, so I still have my wagon. Heh. I love your hatch. makes me wish got a white one :-( You still rocking the Monster, or the 748? Had a 916, then went to an 06' Triumph Speed Triple.
Anyway, thanks again guys!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't had much time to get working on the nitty-gritty of stg. 2, as it requires the removal of pwr window motors, pwr locking system/cables ... and that takes about a day's work to strip. I just got hired at my local Mazda dealer, so I may have some free time coming on a near weekend. I'll get individual weights up soon, though.

G

·
[quote author=island warrior link=topic=69194.msg1201377#msg1201377 date=1171243028]
Anorexia is beautiful
[/quote]
ONLY in a car! :lol:

But since I use mine to carry people, I can't do this.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts