Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Delphi XM radio that I listen to in my Golf. Most manurfactures offer integrated sat radio now as an option. I don't see anything on mazda's site. Do any of you know if there will be a sat option for the mazda3?

If so what provider?

If not anybody know from experience with the Mazda6 if there is a way to tap into the unused MD / Tape button to feed in RCA's for line in connection of an external radio like I'm doing now.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
In the MZ6, it's difficult but it can be done... don't exactly remember what they did, maybe I'll look it up later.

Mazda doesn't offer any such option in any previous models so I doubt they do in the MZ3.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm so there is the possibility to do it by hand . . .

Sucks there is no OEM option. You figure that the rest are jumping on sat radio they would also. I no longer listen to FM on my commute I love XM.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I guess if enough people ask Mazda for it, they may put it in the next round of models. To me, satellite radio is useless because my commute is rather short, compared to some people who may drive an hour or more would really benefit from it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do 40min each way for school, and where I have the possibility next year of living from work it'll be 40 or so min again.

The real benefit to XM is that it really is CD clarity, much better than traditional FM / AM clarity. Plus during those cross country drives like the one to TN I did last year having the ability to listening to your favorite stations everywhere is a huge plus.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Assuming Mazda uses the same modular audio system it has used forever (The 6 audio system is basically the same system Mazda has used since 2000 but with a different form factor) you can sacrifice the tape player module to allow AUX-IN which you could then hook up a Delphi Sky-Fi or Roady or any other external audio device for that matter without an FM Modulator. I figure Mazda will eventually offer some OEM satellite radio. Orginally they had a deal with Sirius, but Sirius has decided to stay out of the OEM market for now. Also, since XM and Sirius are U.S. only and Ford/Mazda are concentrating on global marketing it may be awhile.

For now, heres a link to the AUX-IN mod for the 6 which also works on the RX-8

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10530

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet thanks!

Dang looks like some modification is needed. Too bad it's not as simple as the VW where you can plug in an adapter to the stock CD Changer input cable and it gives you RCA in :)

Right now I have an aftermarket HU though that has a set of AUX in RCA's.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'm with landrumdh - I have a Pioneer XM setup in my Maxima and it is awesome. It's definitely worth the monthly subscription. Local radio is wretched, and CDs do get old after a while (unless you own hundreds of discs). There's also variety stations where you get comedy acts, news, sports, etc.

I was thinking bout installing the Delphi SkyFi XM into my Mazda3 - but I'm waiting to see the progress of aftermarket head units first. I hate how the Skyfi looks and I like having something integrated into the HU rather than a new display that sits up by the vents.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I wonder if they'll retro-fit existing Mazda3's with the tuner and antenna. I hope the current radio has some external controlls so that an entire swap isn't necessary.

To get XM in my Nissan, all I needed was a 12v source and a screwdriver.

·
Registered
31 Posts
xm in my 3

Just wanted to put my 2 cents on the subject i purchased the terk xm reciever for my 3. It is a completly hidden install there is NOTHING visible until you open the ash tray if anyone is interested e-mail me and i can post lots of pictures the only thing i dont really like it is fm modulated but the unit has rca outs and i am going to switch it out when the guy from the rx8 fourm makes that auxilary adapter. The best thing is my xm antenna works great in the dash!!!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
XM or Sirius antennas will work well even in the vehicle. As long as there isnt metal directly above it. I planned to add sat radio to my BIG install and put the antenna under the center vent panel.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Hmm, my Terk antenna must be a pile of poo or something... it didn't work anywhere inside my car except for on the rear-deck by my 3rd brake light. The antenna was also flippin' massive in size... probably 4 inches long by 3 inches wide by 2 inches tall

The antenna also had to be pretty much perfectly flat or it wouldn't get reception.

I need a new antenna...

The Terk XM Commander does look cool though. Keep us posted when you find out how we can (easily) add RCA inputs to our Mazda3's :)

As for the FM modulated thing... my feeling on this is that it makes no sense at all to take a digital signal; modulate it to FM on a low-power frequency (like the 88.7 or whatever most use); expect no loss as the car receiver pics up the signal from the antenna; and then play it through any a decent stereo setup.

I tried an FM modulated XM setup first - and it just didn't sound any better than normal stereo FM radio. I perceive a difference in my current setup where I have a Pioneer XM receiver and a Pioneer head unit connected using their digital IP bus.

Yeah, sound is analog when it matters (like air molecules are banging up into your ears) - and my setup really isn't bling enough for me to care - but I wish Mazda would let us put aftemerket HU's into this bloody car!!!! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts