Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you need to sacrifice a key in order to install a command (or remote) start system?

I have 2007 MS3 with two switch blade remote keys. I'd like to get a 3rd transponder key (and program it myself) so that I'm not stuck carrying around two remote, the switch blade and the new command start remote. I was just wondering how this works - Do I need to sacrifice a key to the installer in order for them to install the system?

Can they do it without a sacrificial key and with 3 transponders already on the factory security system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
you can get a work around box that doesnt require you to sac a key. Now my question is where are you located and if your in the US I though blade keys didnt work for our cars. I was thinking of getting 1 for my 3rd key.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, thanks for the reply. I live in Canada actually. This makes me wonder then...will a typical transponder key not work for my 2007 Mazdaspeed3? Can a transponder key be used on a car with a switch blade key-remote?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=uoftguy link=topic=136551.msg2942853#msg2942853 date=1234901790]
Hello, thanks for the reply. I live in Canada actually. This makes me wonder then...will a typical transponder key not work for my 2007 Mazdaspeed3? Can a transponder key be used on a car with a switch blade key-remote?
[/quote]

All North American Transponder chips are the same. You actually can get the key portion of the flip key to work on US '07+ 3's, it's the remote that can't be programmed.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
So I can get a key and the remote wont work then on my 07 Speed right? If that's the case sign me up I use a viper anyways!

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Krystm link=topic=136551.msg2945237#msg2945237 date=1234978707]
So I can get a key and the remote wont work then on my 07 Speed right? If that's the case sign me up I use a viper anyways!
[/quote]

Correct. The chip in the flip key (key portion) is the same as the standard transponder key). See the link in my sig. for p/n's. :)

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Krystm link=topic=136551.msg2945263#msg2945263 date=1234979311]
Already there! :p Still gonna be like 80 though huh?
[/quote]

You can probably find one cheaper on ebay. Since it doesn't matter what remote you get (since you won't be using it) you can buy basically any one. I think there have even been some dummy key fobs for the flip key.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts