Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of the dealers i have been talking to are telling me that the quotes there giving me are below the s-plan price. There quoting me 17600 which is below the s-plan price. The only problem is those dealers do not have the exact car im looking for instock. Do you think it will be hard for me to get the dealer im meeting with tomorrow to get to that price. I have the email with the quote. Im going to be firm and be ready to walk if they dont match. Im excited to buy but i wouldnt mind some more time to decide on either phantom blue or aurora blue. What would be the best way to get the dealer down?

·
Registered
782 Posts
S-plan basically = invoice price. If 17,600 is below S-plan, then I'm assuming that you're looking for a 3S Touring, manual trans? The S-plan price for that is 17,747 (with destination). So about $150 below invoice would be a great price, so long as they don't tack on frivolous fees to the final out the door price.

I think the best way to get the dealer to come down on the price is to not set foot into the dealership until they offer you the car you want at your target price. Stepping into a dealership shows that you've already made a bit of a commitment to buy from that dealer, plus it's harder to say no to a salesperson's face after they've spent hours showing you the car and talking to you.

Search the dealer inventory on www.mazdausa.com and see which dealers have the actual color and trim that you are looking for. Then use the quote that you received and see if the dealers that actually have your car in stock can beat or at least match that quote. I would negotiate using the OTD price, with all taxes and fees added, so that you won't have any nasty surprises in the finance department.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually that was for a automatic. Ive change the trim i want and now im looking at a touring model. The dealer im talking with quoted me 18400 minus ttl and destination. The only extra option in the car is the moonroof. The s-plan price would come out to around 19400 with destination. So im around 400 under the s-plan which i think is a pretty decent price. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wow, $400 below invoice is excellent! So long as the dealer doesn't add any extraneous fees, I'd take that deal. You should calculate what the OTD price for the car should be. Multiply the purchase price of the car by your tax rate and add the typical licensing fee and possibly a doc fee (ask others from your area what those should be) and set that as your OTD price. Don't let a good deal turn average in the finance room, if you're financing! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got back a little while ago from the dealer. I ended up putting down $500 deposit on a phantom blue touring hatch. I got it for 19000 but they added on the "necessary" etching fee, credit inquiry fee and all that jazz. Im kind of pissed about the 179 etching fee. I might just tell them to take it off or the deal is done. I have not walked into the finance room yet since i have to wait till the dealer locates the vehicle. How can i make out ok in the finance room.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Etching fee is bogus. Since the dealer does not have the vehicle in stock and has not added the etching yet, you should not pay for it. I'd tell them, don't add the etching, or no deal. $180 is almost an additional 1% in profit for the dealer....

I don't have any experience with financing a car, so I can't help you there!

·
Registered
603 Posts
[quote author=kendalf link=topic=66131.msg1134510#msg1134510 date=1168017117]
S-plan basically = invoice price. If 17,600 is below S-plan, then I'm assuming that you're looking for a 3S Touring, manual trans? The S-plan price for that is 17,747 (with destination). So about $150 below invoice would be a great price, so long as they don't tack on frivolous fees to the final out the door price.
[/quote]

Unless it's a Canadian dealing with what they may also call X-plan.

In that case there's a small profit built in above the invoice price.

I know b/c I got my car for close to invoice, which was much better than said plan discount. :)

... and yeah "necessary" <>= "mandatory" - tell them to not do it. Put that in writing and get them to amend the price accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts