Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check out some Rx8 Forums because the Mz3 was designed by the same team of engineers that designed the Mz3 After reading a couple of posts, I am once again worried about the future reliability of the car. The car is an overall great deal, but I will not pay 24+ G's for a car that will give me headaches in the future.

Just looking at the Rx8 Forum at Edmunds.com under the problems, reading the posts horrifies me. There are new Rx8's who have engine problems and cars just dying who have only 2000 miles on them. An A/C condensor placed in an area of vulnerability, oil lights, etc.

The one post that got my attn was that of some guy's Rx8 not even starting one morning from his driveway and he had only 2000 miles on it. His post ended with "This was my first Mazda, and it will for sure be the last."

I hope this is not me in the future.

You do not expect these kind of problems with a top end sports car. The Rx8 is even produced in Japan as well. The Ford influence seems ever so strong (even if it they are in the backgorund), even if you defend Mazda's production in Japan, Ford seems to be all over the production.

And then there is that horsepower overstatement as well, but that is another topic for another board.

Your thoughts guys/girls?

I might just settle for a rock solid 7th gen Civic/EL. Though the power is not that great, I know that I have a proven rock solid car for the future.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
You absolutely should expect these problems if you're going to look on message boards - people mostly only post problems on message boards.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Every car in its first year of production will have problems, especially if its a brand new chassis and motor and what not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
First year problem cars. Look at protege or MPV. They have almost no problems because all first year problems have been resolved. If your worried about first year problems, then wait a year or 2 and mazda will resolve all of these problems.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What did you expect you'd be finding under the 'Problems' section of a forum? A single post titled "Wow, this car is absolutely perfect. Let's just lock this forum because there are no problems to talk about."

That's fine if you want to get a civic. They have a reputation. I'd be willing to bet, however, that if you went into the 'Problems' forum on a civic, you'd see just as many posts about failing engines and breaking A/C and spontaneous combustion- what have you. The only reason they have the repuation they do is because they've been around long enough to achieve it. You just have to remember that even Hondas break down.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dudes, I am not knocking this car whatsoever. I still love it. As a consumer, I am just trying to find out as much information as I can, thats all.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The rule is for every negative, there are 10 positive. People are more likley to complain than to commend.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
neomonkey, if you want to play it safe, wait a few months for people to buy the car. we'll get a ton of reviews and people will start talking about the initial problems. :)

or wait until model year 2005 (second year of the Mazda 3). Those cars will show how well the car is made.

I understand totally how you feel, neomonkey.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Well I had a few problems with my 6s in the past but I knew there would be because I got the first year model. Still love the car and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
23 Posts
neomonkey said:
You do not expect these kind of problems with a top end sports car. The Rx8 is even produced in Japan as well. The Ford influence seems ever so strong (even if it they are in the backgorund), even if you defend Mazda's production in Japan, Ford seems to be all over the production.
Funny how you still blame Ford even tho the RX8 is made in Japan, no way it could be Mazda's fault, nooooo, God forbid, it's like the Japanese can do no wrong, seriously, that's rediculous, they get the praise for stuff that goes right, problems arise, it's automatically Ford's fault because their influence is "ever so strong" on a car made in Japan. UN-freaking-believable.....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Most of the problems you stated are linked with the Engine. The Mazda 3 does not have a Rotary engine so you can «not» blame the RX-8 problems that will happen into the 3 !

You should look into the RX-8 forums for chassis/suspension/electricity problems and then into 6's forums for Engine (I4), drivetrain and suspension problems.

The 6 is a new model, the 3 is a new model, the RX-8 is a new model, sure they have all their own problems but which brand don't?

Like some people said: A human will ALWAYS complaint about a problem, but will never complaint about a quality.

That said, have a good day.

-Frank

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Neo, look at the Civic, Accord, Maxima, etc problems board at Edmunds. You'll think those cars are junk.

Like others said, the net tends to magnify issues. Nevetheless, I will get mine during the summer of 2004 so I'll know by then if there are issues I should be concerned about.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, once again I'm not knocking the car.

My point is that the same engineering team who designed the Rx8 designed the Mz3. Whether the team designs a boat and a spoon, it doesn't matter. It came from them. Little things like the A/C Condenser placed in a vulnerable position so that it can be potentially punctured by a rock, etc. Things like these that the design team thought and designed, I hope doesn't carry on to the Mz3.

I understand that all first year cars have their fair share of problems. But if you compare it to 1st year Toyotas or Hondas, you do not get the same number of problems. Sure there are problems, but nothing as major as engine failures, etc. Sure the engine is brand new, but it was designed by the engineering team nevertheless.

If an engineering team designs a boat with problems, how can you say that those errors or flaws won't appear on the spoon that they design as well?

We'll have to wait and see after all the reviews. I'm just really concerned about my first major investment. I'm 22 and I have been working for a year now and saving up for a car. So I want to get a car that is super reliable. I don't want to spend hard earned money on something that will fall apart/break down 1, 2, 3 years down the road. I hope you guys understand.

Mainly I am paranoid because of 2 major reasons
1. Ford owns Mazda
2. 2004 Mz6 having its rust problems.
-I don't understand ppl defending the rust issue and stating that it is only a local problem regarding the FLat Rock production plant. Face reality, a rusting chassis is a MAJOR design/manufacturing flaw.

·
Registered
23 Posts

You sound way too paranoid to be buying a first year new model, you want super reliable, it doesn't exist, there are no guarantees in life, every car has issues, buy yourself a Civic, become one of the many anonymous drones driving around in their faceless, souless economy cars. What if you do buy that Civic and 3 years down the road it's full of issues, will you blame Ford for that too??

Your logic is odd to say the least, Ford owns Mazda, ooh I'm scared, what kinda thinking is that? Japan designed the RX-8, it's Ford's fault!!! (shakes head).

BTW cars aren't investments.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great, we have another Fast and Furious adolescent poster on this board now...

First of all, the Civic is in its 3rd yr of production. The 2004 model will be a rock solid car. Having problems 3 years down the road is very unlikely. Unless you modify it up riceboy style, which is probably what you're all about, but not me. My brother has a 98 EL Premium and he has had NO problems whatsoever with the car. That is super realibility...and believe it or not YOU CAN GET A SUPER REALIABLE CAR.

Second of all, why isn't a car an investment? Sure it's a depreciating asset, but it is still an investment nonetheless. You are essentially spending ALOT of money on a car. I can probably understand why you might not think that a car isn't an investment. It's because you get your mommy and/or daddy to buy the car for you.

I'm not paranoid, I'm just a consumer weighing out all the facts.

Ford owns Mazda, that might not be a big serious problem for you. But once you get out of junior high and hoepfully make it to a college or University, you'll understand corporate culture (if you take some business courses). Even through Ford may not have a hand in manufacturing/production of the car per say, they can exercise political influence on Mazda, not noticed by the public. For example, if Mazda wants to use a more expensive part for a section of the car and Ford as a whole is in a position of trimming their budget or whatnot, they can influence the decision process of the production. Ford may opt out to use a cheaper part for that car to save them money on the short term, making the car not as refined as it should be.

I'm going to wait and see, thats all. [/b]

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
neomonkey said:

First of all, the Civic is in its 3rd yr of production. The 2004 model will be a rock solid car. Having problems 3 years down the road is very unlikely. Unless you modify it up riceboy style, which is probably what you're all about, but not me. My brother has a 98 EL Premium and he has had NO problems whatsoever with the car. That is super realibility...and believe it or not YOU CAN GET A SUPER REALIABLE CAR.

Second of all, why isn't a car an investment? Sure it's a depreciating asset, but it is still an investment nonetheless. You are essentially spending ALOT of money on a car. I can probably understand why you might not think that a car isn't an investment. It's because you get your mommy and/or daddy to buy the car for you.

Ford owns Mazda, that might not be a big serious problem for you. But once you get out of junior high and hoepfully make it to a college or University, you'll understand corporate culture (if you take some business courses). Even through Ford may not have a hand in manufacturing/production of the car per say, they can exercise political influence on Mazda, not noticed by the public. For example, if Mazda wants to use a more expensive part for a section of the car and Ford as a whole is in a position of trimming their budget or whatnot, they can influence the decision process of the production. Ford may opt out to use a cheaper part for that car to save them money on the short term, making the car not as refined as it should be.

all i can say is word neomonkey word. Ask ANYONE any adult, even ask my parents...cars are HUGE investments...if someone else says otherwise...they need to grow up and start spending their own money..

·
Registered
70 Posts
neomonkey said:

i don't disagree with your point of view...but to make so many "ASSumptions" about another member's background and views simply because they put in their opinion on the topic, is immature in itself. keep it on-topic, and at that mature level you seem to want on this board..meaning you don't lower yourself to the level of making radical assumptions about another's character simply because they don't share the same view you do.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Super reliable car: My 2001 Protege ES 2.0 - 67.00kms - as tight as new. No rattles, no problems, nothing. Perfect!!!! I couldn't be happier.

Mazda3? Should still be solid. I don't think the 3 will be any less reliable than a Civic or Corolla. But it will be more stylish and more fun to drive :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.