Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm sorry to add to the plethora of posts such as this one, but from searching around I didn't find an answer.

I purchased a set of snow wheels with RX-8 measurements (225/50/17 offset: 50) for my MS3. Based on all the research I've done before my purchase, it looked like RX-8 wheels fit Mazda 3s without a problem. Well, I guess its a little different when it comes to the MS3s. I do realize that MS3s have larger brakes than a regular 3, but I never realized that the offset would be different.

When I put on the snow wheel, its center hole seems to be too small for the car's hub; the rim barely clears the studs. Pardon my lack of vocab and knowledge in this area, I never completely understood the science of proper wheel fitments. So basically my problem is that the rim's center mounting hole is too narrow, which doesn't allow me to slide the rim all the way on.

I'd hate to go through the hassle of reselling these now. Are there any adapters that can be used to fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- alex

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
so the hub bore is different on the MS3, at least I think thats what you're saying. If this is the case, you'll have to have the RX-8 wheels machined to fit

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=67277.msg1156404#msg1156404 date=1169155010]
so the hub bore is different on the MS3, at least I think thats what you're saying. If this is the case, you'll have to have the RX-8 wheels machined to fit
[/quote]

Yep the size of the hub bore is exactly my problem... Now, if I were to get it machined, what measurements would I use?

- alex

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You said they have RX-8 measurements; are they actually RX-8 wheels? You seem to imply that they're not...

Andrew Beard

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I would tend to think that the hub bore is the same - all of the new mazda's share the same hub bore, RX-8, MZ3, MZ6, Miata - why would the MS3 be different?

Like bearda said - are these OEM wheels or aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
he has 17" RX8 rims? i thought they were 18"

the hub bore is exactly the same on the 3 and MS3. the hubcentric rings from my standard 3 fit my MS3.

·
Registered
16 Posts
jflash i am intrested in the wheels but i do not have enough posts to pm you back
pm me with your email address so i can get in contact with you
thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are not OE RX-8 wheels. They're cheapo after market Kazera rims which were bought as a snow wheel package for an RX-8. Their measurements pertain to RX-8 numbers as these wheels were purchased from Tire Rack.

Any more ideas, guys? I appreciate all the input so far.

- alex

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
well, ideally, you'd have them machined to whatever the hub bore is, which I believe is 67.1 mm, you could also machine them to be oversized for a universal fit, and just use hub rings, but if you're bothering to get them machined, might as well have them be hubcentric. . .

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
[quote author=alexio senchez link=topic=67277.msg1157176#msg1157176 date=1169181172]
They are not OE RX-8 wheels. They're cheapo after market Kazera rims which were bought as a snow wheel package for an RX-8. Their measurements pertain to RX-8 numbers as these wheels were purchased from Tire Rack.

Any more ideas, guys? I appreciate all the input so far.

- alex
[/quote]

Damn it , the knockoffs strike again! :x

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If tirerack sold you those wheels saying the hub bore would fit an rx8, which has the same bore as the ms3, and they dont fit, then it is obviously a mistake on their end. They should send the correct wheels that have a large enough hub bore.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Y[quote author=LG Paul link=topic=67277.msg1158936#msg1158936 date=1169257127]
If tirerack sold you those wheels saying the hub bore would fit an rx8, which has the same bore as the ms3, and they dont fit, then it is obviously a mistake on their end. They should send the correct wheels that have a large enough hub bore.
[/quote]

You're damned right they should. I've only heard great things about Tirerack's service, and this should happen no problem.

·
Registered
543 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=67277.msg1157134#msg1157134 date=1169179216]
I have seen a pic of rx-8 18's on a speed 3
[/quote]

I would definately like to see this! :bowdown:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[quote author=LG Paul link=topic=67277.msg1158936#msg1158936 date=1169257127]
[/quote]

The wheels were not originally sold to me. I purchased them on ebay from a person who used them for one winter season on his RX-8. From what I was told by him, they were originally purchased from Tire Rack as a set of snow wheels for his RX-8. So getting Tire Rack to fix the problem wont work :)

I think that getting these machined is going to be my best bet. I kindly thank you all for your suggestions!

- alex

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
i dunno if that is the best idea either. it can mess up the integrity of the wheels and you can have much bigger problems than you currently do.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You know something, you're definately better off selling these rims to someone else and get something that fits.
I don't doubt you can find a competent CNC guy to machine your rims to spec, but how often does that happen? Will you weaken the structural ingegrity of the rims? Will they be slightly off, and cause a wobble at speed? Sounds like they're not worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
[quote author=EvilDeadFan link=topic=67277.msg1159712#msg1159712 date=1169317348]
You know something, you're definately better off selling these rims to someone else and get something that fits.
I don't doubt you can find a competent CNC guy to machine your rims to spec, but how often does that happen? Will you weaken the structural ingegrity of the rims? Will they be slightly off, and cause a wobble at speed? Sounds like they're not worth the effort.
[/quote]

+1...just didnt want to be the one to break the bad news

1 - 20 of 26 Posts