Mazda3 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
[quote author=IllBinfrontofya link=topic=134642.msg2902409#msg2902409 date=1233389758]
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=134642.msg2900363#msg2900363 date=1233329226]
That or the Integra with a mid-engine H22...there are some awesome hybrid builds on Honda-Tech.
[/quote]

I had a integra with a ls bottom end, civic SI head, port flow valvetraine with titainium springs and retainers, decked to 12:1 ratio pushing over 300whp! H22 is only good if they are racing from A to be. any car with a H22 turbo is going to be front heavy and have no kind of traction AT ALL!! I broke axles every month cause of the amount of power I had!! i used to beat ZO6's night after night when i dropped my setup into a 92 hatch. But the handling couldn't even compare to my Mz3. if u want straight line speed then go for it, but if u want actualy handling and power, then well . . . good luck! :)
[/quote]

I think you missed the part where I said it was mid-engine! As in, the engine compartment was now under the hatch.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
OP- how old are you?

i think an idea of importing a BMW here is superb! bmw is a cult car. maybe even get an older M5 (like 93-94), put a turbo on it, and it'll be sick. or an older M3, or older 850, or even a shark M5( 1985). that would be an awsome car to built.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=134642.msg2905828#msg2905828 date=1233581297]
OP- how old are you?

i think an idea of importing a BMW here is superb! bmw is a cult car. maybe even get an older M5 (like 93-94), put a turbo on it, and it'll be sick. or an older M3, or older 850, or even a shark M5( 1985). that would be an awsome car to built.
[/quote]

I'm 29, but why does that matter?

If I was to buy a BMW, i'd probably go with the e46 M3. It has been on my "want" list since they released them. And I think it's one of my all-time favorites.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i think bmw is a great platform for any project. you have limittless possibilities, and anything that comes out will be great. i don't htink you can go wrong with bmw...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
[quote author=QuickSpeed3 link=topic=134642.msg2900704#msg2900704 date=1233337588]

I dont' really care about impressing people as much as I would just like to have something fun.

I'm surprised i haven't got much support from people here...

[/quote]

This thread is a riot. A guy says he has the financial and technical resources to make the MS3 sleeper of the decade and most everybody just tells him how stupid the idea is. Like it's some kinda sweat of their own collective back. You got suggestions, see problems, whatever, why not just post without the attitude?

I say more power to ya, OP. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason, I imagine you just move on to the next project, right?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey I have seen guys put LS1's in E30 BMW's, Ford V8's in Sunbeam Alpines (oops they did that in house and called it a Tiger) Even one shop that put a BMW V12 into a 318 Ti (every picture I have seen of that car is totaly sideways and rear tires lit up like a pro stocker) If you want to do this as a project for your own enjoyment, both for the fun of doing it and the fun of having it once it is done, then you should go for it.

Most likley there are not more than 2-3 people on this entire forum that would stand a chance in hell of doing this job (and I mean actually DO the job not just write a check to somone else to do it for them) so asking everyone else for opinions or comments is not going to do anything but fire up the wanabe's.

I love seeing people try new things and step out of the box if you have the skills, time and $$$ I would love to see the end product.

If I was going to do that much work I'm not sure this would be the project I would take on but you know what? I don't get to vote on your project. And you don't get to vote on mine. Have fun, send pictures, would love to see them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
[quote author=Byron link=topic=134642.msg2906290#msg2906290 date=1233596426]
Hey I have seen guys put LS1's in E30 BMW's, Ford V8's in Sunbeam Alpines (oops they did that in house and called it a Tiger) Even one shop that put a BMW V12 into a 318 Ti (every picture I have seen of that car is totaly sideways and rear tires lit up like a pro stocker) If you want to do this as a project for your own enjoyment, both for the fun of doing it and the fun of having it once it is done, then you should go for it.

Most likley there are not more than 2-3 people on this entire forum that would stand a chance in hell of doing this job (and I mean actually DO the job not just write a check to somone else to do it for them) so asking everyone else for opinions or comments is not going to do anything but fire up the wanabe's.

I love seeing people try new things and step out of the box if you have the skills, time and $$$ I would love to see the end product.

If I was going to do that much work I'm not sure this would be the project I would take on but you know what? I don't get to vote on your project. And you don't get to vote on mine. Have fun, send pictures, would love to see them.
[/quote]

Yes, this is all true. However, if you re-read my first post I wasn't asking what the general opinion of the board is. I was asking for specific information regarding the rear end... Everyone just decided to chime in with their opinion

·
Registered
598 Posts
i think its a cool idea and ppl are saying its not a speed 3 anymore becasue changing the engine and what not... but who cares maybe you like the body style of the ms3 and you want something unique ...like the rx-7s with corvette motors in them is it still a rx-7? well yeah i think it is becasue its still same body and they could have just bought a corvette but they wanted to build up an rx-7 instead...

·
Registered
452 Posts
The only thing I see as an issue is what are you going to do for a rear end? Do you want independent or live axle? The Speed 6 rear diff/suspension "MIGHT" fit without much hastle but you have already decided it would not be strong enough to handle what you are planning on throwing at it. After that unless someone has actually tried putting something else back there and has it all figured out you get to be the one to design and build the "first one".

If this is just going to be a track toy and you are not worried about keeping rear seats/load capibility then a 3 or 4 link live axle might be the easy way. After that you will have to make some measurments on the MS3 then go out and start looking at everything that has independent rear drive (including the rear suspension of AWD cars) and see what comes close enough you can either modify it or modify the chassis to match.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
[quote author=Byron link=topic=134642.msg2906453#msg2906453 date=1233601232]
The only thing I see as an issue is what are you going to do for a rear end? Do you want independent or live axle? The Speed 6 rear diff/suspension "MIGHT" fit without much hastle but you have already decided it would not be strong enough to handle what you are planning on throwing at it. After that unless someone has actually tried putting something else back there and has it all figured out you get to be the one to design and build the "first one".

If this is just going to be a track toy and you are not worried about keeping rear seats/load capibility then a 3 or 4 link live axle might be the easy way. After that you will have to make some measurments on the MS3 then go out and start looking at everything that has independent rear drive (including the rear suspension of AWD cars) and see what comes close enough you can either modify it or modify the chassis to match.
[/quote]

I guess I should clarify my statement about he MS6 rear end. I don't think the diff is strong enough - however, the suspension might work out nicely with a stronger diff (MX-5? Suby diff? Mitsu diff?)... The geometry might be well suited to the MS3

Then it's just defining what is the best motor. I still have to take measurements for the LSx motor (been too busy with house repairs lately). The other option is rotating the 2.3. But the subframe and oilpan are clearly going to interfere. And I haven't even looked at the steering rack...

I'm not worried about keeping the rear seats. It's going to get a full cage anyway. And I figured i'd have a custom fuel cell put in as well.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
[quote author=Byron link=topic=134642.msg2906290#msg2906290 date=1233596426]
Hey I have seen guys put LS1's in E30 BMW's, Ford V8's in Sunbeam Alpines (oops they did that in house and called it a Tiger) ...[/quote]

[OT alert] My next door neighbor in college had one of these. I was shocked that an English car company had even thought of doing something like that. If I ever have enough money to buy and fix up one of these, now that be a unique car to have in the garage. I wonder what that guy ever did with his ....

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have 3 friends that are Original Tiger owners and still have their cars, they bought them new and have never given them up. I know way to much about working on them (lift up the carpet and remove a rubber plug in the firewall to change one of the spark plugs!!!) Lucas electrics and all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
[quote author=QuickSpeed3 link=topic=134642.msg2906472#msg2906472 date=1233601727]

[/quote]

I guess I should clarify my statement about he MS6 rear end. I don't think the diff is strong enough - however, the suspension might work out nicely with a stronger diff (MX-5? Suby diff? Mitsu diff?)... The geometry might be well suited to the MS3

Then it's just defining what is the best motor. I still have to take measurements for the LSx motor (been too busy with house repairs lately). The other option is rotating the 2.3. But the subframe and oilpan are clearly going to interfere. And I haven't even looked at the steering rack...

I'm not worried about keeping the rear seats. It's going to get a full cage anyway. And I figured i'd have a custom fuel cell put in as well.
[/quote]

It would sure be a lot easier if you could find a complete rear suspension that would bolt up without to much trouble. Modifying it to take some other diff and/or reworking some of the parts would be a lot easier than making everything from scratch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
[quote author=Byron link=topic=134642.msg2906632#msg2906632 date=1233605525]
[quote author=QuickSpeed3 link=topic=134642.msg2906472#msg2906472 date=1233601727]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It would sure be a lot easier if you could find a complete rear suspension that would bolt up without to much trouble. Modifying it to take some other diff and/or reworking some of the parts would be a lot easier than making everything from scratch.
[/quote]

Right now I'm kinda leaning in that direction. I'd like to get the rear end from an MS6 and start from there. Even if I put a larger diff in it from some other platform.

I know flyin miata is using a CTS diff in the LSx conversions. I guess i'll have to see what will fit in that carrier.

·
Registered
452 Posts
That sure sounds like a good place to start. Modifying is usually easier than building from scratch. The 2 platforms might not be all that different if you are lucky.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
[quote author=Byron link=topic=134642.msg2906801#msg2906801 date=1233609765]
That sure sounds like a good place to start. Modifying is usually easier than building from scratch. The 2 platforms might not be all that different if you are lucky.
[/quote]

Seems I'm not lucky.

Taken from another thread... The front drivetrain is from an MS6, the rear from ad 3 series. Looks to me to be a bit wider...

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Why not the MZ3 AWD rear subframe with a more beefed-up MS6, or even a CX-9 rear differential.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=134642.msg2906854#msg2906854 date=1233610974]
Why not the MZ3 AWD rear subframe with a more beefed-up MS6, or even a CX-9 rear differential.
[/quote]

My understanding is that the AWD rear subframes from the MZ3 are very difficult to get. Near impossible (and costly)

81 - 100 of 105 Posts