Mazda3 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
[quote author=smakdown61 link=topic=134642.msg2899755#msg2899755 date=1233289589]
This is the most retarded idea on this forum.

/thread
[/quote]

Why because he has an original idea. Or that he isnt too big a pussy to actually do something interesting or different.

I hope he succeeds at it. I hope that everyone can at least try something and learn from it. Why you gotta be a hater. Cant you at least support your fellow enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
:lol: You beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing.

Sounds like an interesting project, start with a cheap (maybe even salvage titled 3), strip it out and start building. Massive amounts of fabrication required & electrical & probably bodywork, but if you have the time/talent/$$$ - why not?

TIM

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
[quote author=Tim25 link=topic=134642.msg2900034#msg2900034 date=1233300265]

Sounds like an interesting project, start with a cheap (maybe even salvage titled 3), strip it out and start building. Massive amounts of fabrication required & electrical & probably bodywork, but if you have the time/talent/$$$ - why not?

TIM

[/quote]

Because then its not a speed 3 anymore. Hell, I might drop a v12 in my back seat and make it 8wd. Seriously.

You might as well start from a chassis that already supports it then custom fabricating the shit outta something so bad its not even close to being the original car anymore. If you really want to do something bad ass, make it all electric.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
That or the Integra with a mid-engine H22...there are some awesome hybrid builds on Honda-Tech.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
[quote author=smakdown61 link=topic=134642.msg2900325#msg2900325 date=1233328408]
[quote author=Tim25 link=topic=134642.msg2900034#msg2900034 date=1233300265]

TIM

[/quote]

Because then its not a speed 3 anymore. Hell, I might drop a v12 in my back seat and make it 8wd. Seriously.

You might as well start from a chassis that already supports it then custom fabricating the shit outta something so bad its not even close to being the original car anymore. If you really want to do something bad ass, make it all electric.
[/quote]

It's a good thing the engineers at Mazda weren't as close-minded as you are. If they were, the speed3 wouldn't even exist, since there are "better platforms to start with"

It's a good thing I didn't ask for your opinion. This thread was started to gain information I need to start this conversion, not whether you approve of the project. So, please stay out of my thread.

Back on topic, I'm currently gathering information on driveline specs. I am just in the beginning days of this, and it will be quite a while till the first cut is made. I am still trying to decide between front-engined/rwd v8, or mid-engined (similar to the renaultsport clio v6 or the Nology version)

·
Registered
797 Posts
LIek someone said before. Check with the V8 swapped Foci. our chassis was a newr verion of the Focus, or uipdated. but i dont think it changed that much, some parts i think still transfer over. Would have to see how far off the front rails are. The v8 conversion are pretty much a drop in. the rear end is a close insytall. but i think the remove the spare tire well, and relocate the gas tank to a fuel cell. MIght be a close enough set up little fabrication would be nedded. IF you want to keep to 4cylneder tal kto a few companies maybee have na adapter made to fit a Miata 5 o r6 speed to athe 2.3 the make conversion plates to mount LS1/sti motors and pintos motors to mount to VW tanmisions. Heck if you talk to the conversion companies that make the FOci conversions, maybee one is willing to work with you for a deal to see what they have to do to make it work on a mazda. Might actually make a kit based on your car, or get you a good deal on prices. its would be worth a shot!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Is a RWD, V8 powered conversion really a Speed 3 anymore? Or is it a RWD V8 that just looks like an MS3? If that's what it really is, do you really think the MS3 looks that good, that all it really needs is RWD and a V8 to make it your perfect car?

If you really like the idea of a RWD hatch, why not import a BMW 135i hatch from Europe (already RWD), then drop the M3 V8 engine into it? Now you have a car that's ultra-rare in North America powered by one of the best engines in the world.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
[quote author=Wheelhouse link=topic=134642.msg2900670#msg2900670 date=1233337035]
Is a RWD, V8 powered conversion really a Speed 3 anymore? Or is it a RWD V8 that just looks like an MS3? If that's what it really is, do you really think the MS3 looks that good, that all it really needs is RWD and a V8 to make it your perfect car?

If you really like the idea of a RWD hatch, why not import a BMW 135i hatch from Europe (already RWD), then drop the M3 V8 engine into it? Now you have a car that's ultra-rare in North America powered by one of the best engines in the world.

[/quote] :icspot:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
[quote author=boostedminime link=topic=134642.msg2900675#msg2900675 date=1233337093]
[quote author=Wheelhouse link=topic=134642.msg2900670#msg2900670 date=1233337035]

[/quote]

It might be easier, but it likely still isn't easy. Personally, I'd rather drive a 415hp BMW hatch that looks completely unique than a RWD MS3 that looks like any of the dozens of Mazda 3's you see everyday.

You have to be hardcore into the import or Mazda scene to want to impress that small of a group of people that much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
[quote author=Wheelhouse link=topic=134642.msg2900691#msg2900691 date=1233337433]
[quote author=boostedminime link=topic=134642.msg2900675#msg2900675 date=1233337093]

[/quote]

It might be easier, but it likely still isn't easy. Personally, I'd rather drive a 415hp BMW hatch that looks completely unique than a RWD MS3 that looks like any of the dozens of Mazda 3's you see everyday.

You have to be hardcore into the import or Mazda scene to want to impress that small of a group of people that much.
[/quote]

I dont' really care about impressing people as much as I would just like to have something fun.

I'm surprised i haven't got much support from people here...

In the current planning, though, it seems like it might be extremely difficult as the MS3 chassis is quite narrow.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
This is a stupid idea.
A 350 LS series wont fit, first of all its too big the laws of physics will not allow you to shoe horn an engine 28 in long into a 32 in engine bay. Now you also have to have radiators, fans, AC condensors, oil coolers, and other such trivial things.

Not including where the hell do you mount the bell housing?

Dont forget the 350 is also signignificantly heavier, 85% to be exact; 285 lbs vs. 525 lbs.

Just buy the awd parts from an MS6 weld the front spider and put a 350Z or 240SX diff in the back, they are already set up for an LSD and Ind. rear suspension. Any decent fab shop can make spacers and adapters for the driveline and rear end conversion and you can retain the factory axles and driveshaft engine and trans.

If you want a turbo RWD mazda buy an RX-7.

If you want a RWD Mazda with a big engine buy an RX-7 with a LS already in it. It will cost half as much as doing it yourself.

This is of course completely based on my opinion that puting a V8 in a Speed 3 is a stupid fucking idea.

And it wont fit unless you want a 350 resting in your lap.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think it sounds like a great project, I don't think I would use a MS3 as the starting point. Just like I would not use a real Shelby mustang if I wanted to make a project out of an early mustang, I would go find a 6 cyl auto fastback and start there. You are going to remove just about eveything that makes the MS3 different than a standard M3, Yes there are some chassis reinforcements and bigger fenders but those are easy to fix without taking a $16k MS3 and hacking it up. I am sure you could find a M3 with a blown engine/trans for <$2k . You would still have your MS3 to drive around while you are working on the "Project".

I am a fabricator/ race engine builder for a living and if I had the time a project like this would be fun. Best thing for me is I have other people pay me to do this kind of thing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I had my 2.3 sedan, I was contemplating a 3.0 V6 swap. In any event, good luck with the project and don't attention to the naysayers. Ever thought about a 13b turbo tranny from a RX?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
[quote author=madvillain link=topic=134642.msg2902388#msg2902388 date=1233387696]
would it be entirely necessary for you to swap out the motor in order to convert it to rwd?
[/quote]

If you're going modify it that much, what's the point of keeping a little 2.3L under the hood? You have to turn the motor 90 degrees, fabricate motor mounts, transmission mounts, an entirely new rear end (suspension, driveline etc.)...

If you're going that far, why keep the little 4-pot under the hood? Dump in a small block and have a pile of fun!

TIM

·
Registered
572 Posts
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=134642.msg2900363#msg2900363 date=1233329226]
That or the Integra with a mid-engine H22...there are some awesome hybrid builds on Honda-Tech.
[/quote]

I had a integra with a ls bottom end, civic SI head, port flow valvetraine with titainium springs and retainers, decked to 12:1 ratio pushing over 300whp! H22 is only good if they are racing from A to be. any car with a H22 turbo is going to be front heavy and have no kind of traction AT ALL!! I broke axles every month cause of the amount of power I had!! i used to beat ZO6's night after night when i dropped my setup into a 92 hatch. But the handling couldn't even compare to my Mz3. if u want straight line speed then go for it, but if u want actualy handling and power, then well . . . good luck! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
4g63T for the eingine, can take a licking and keep on ticking.. lifter tick that is *cough cough*.. or pretty much any 4/6 cylinder with a snail strapped on would be great in this car. personally i dont really care for the v8s. maybe the old m3 engine the I6, that would be cool but it still needs a turbo... in fact evey engine should have a turbo. I would love it if the ms3 was RWD. Keep on with this project man dont let the haters get you down

·
Registered
304 Posts
true true.. i just like this motor, and it would save some money to keep the motor, well sorta, actually i guess if you have the money to do this, then what the hell, might as well get another motor.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts