Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty...

I've decided that fwd isn't the way I want to go anymore, and I'm thinknig of switching it up to rwd. I like the idea of the mazda sleeper and don't feel like getting into a debate on why I would like to do this.

So, what I need is some information... For those who have looked into this, what are the options for a rear suspension/diff?

I am undecided on the engine yet. I might go either v8 or stick with a turbo small displacement motor. We'll see...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think you'd be the first to do it, so probably not much info on it. Have you considered AWD conversion? That could be even more of a sleeper, launching with street tires. DG Motorsports did it, here's the clip if you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Rn_shEBbs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did see that. My concern is that the driveline being able to support the power. And, unfortunately, i couldn't get much information on that car...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
AWD drive doesnt mean shit if their is no appropriate AWd system attached to it. Mazda does not have one.

I believe they used a rear suspension geometry from a CX7.

You are going to need a lot of custom work for this to work. I mean completely stripping it down cutting a tunnel down the length of the car and finding a way to make a driveshaft work.

Seriously, you need ot compare notes with this thread. The legendary civette thread.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/730443-newbie-ls1-but-not-your-typical-car.html

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would suggest you search a bit for one of the 2 or 3 companies that do the RWD V8 conversions on Ford Focus. I think the Mazda 3 platform is close enough that some of the ideas might work. On the Focus the rear suspension was close to a bolt in unit, they did not change the chassis very much at all if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
[quote author=Byron link=topic=134642.msg2895317#msg2895317 date=1233127814]
I would suggest you search a bit for one of the 2 or 3 companies that do the RWD V8 conversions on Ford Focus. I think the Mazda 3 platform is close enough that some of the ideas might work. On the Focus the rear suspension was close to a bolt in unit, they did not change the chassis very much at all if I remember correctly.
[/quote]

Good thinking

·
Registered
461 Posts
[quote author=prototype_x9 link=topic=134642.msg2895105#msg2895105 date=1233117441]
AWD drive doesnt mean shit if their is no appropriate AWd system attached to it. Mazda does not have one.

You are going to need a lot of custom work for this to work. I mean completely stripping it down cutting a tunnel down the length of the car and finding a way to make a driveshaft work.

Seriously, you need ot compare notes with this thread. The legendary civette thread.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/730443-newbie-ls1-but-not-your-typical-car.html
[/quote]UMMM the tunnel is already there, DG motorsports ran the drive line down the tunnel and it just barley hangs below it. You can get the complete rearend and drive line off a speed 6 for 1500.00 if you shop around. You could do the whole thing pretty cheap.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Finally, I've always been saying someone should do this. You better not wimp out. Make sure you keep everyone updated if you are actually serious. We'll need pics and info.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
[quote author=JAZZY link=topic=134642.msg2895437#msg2895437 date=1233143684]
[quote author=prototype_x9 link=topic=134642.msg2895105#msg2895105 date=1233117441]

[/quote]UMMM the tunnel is already there, DG motorsports ran the drive line down the tunnel and it just barley hangs below it. You can get the complete rearend and drive line off a speed 6 for 1500.00 if you shop around. You could do the whole thing pretty cheap.
[/quote]

Yes AWD wouldn't be bad. How are you going to go just rwd though? Use the AWD tranny and somehow block off the front diff? Good luck finding a rwd tranny to fit a transverse 4 cyl.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, if I go RWD, I wouldn't leave the enigine transverse. And I probably wouldn't leave the 2.3 in it. I'd probably put an LSx v8 in it and use the transmission from the corvette (along with the rear). Much like the above mentioned civette.

AWD is an idea, though I don't believe the strength of the MS6 drivetrain will hold up. Ultimately i'm building a track day car, not anything street legal. And it should see some abuse.

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=QuickSpeed3 link=topic=134642.msg2895602#msg2895602 date=1233152210]
Well, if I go RWD, I wouldn't leave the enigine transverse. And I probably wouldn't leave the 2.3 in it. I'd probably put an LSx v8 in it and use the transmission from the corvette (along with the rear). Much like the above mentioned civette.

AWD is an idea, though I don't believe the strength of the MS6 drivetrain will hold up. Ultimately i'm building a track day car, not anything street legal. And it should see some abuse.
[/quote]

Here is a great idea....instead of spending huge amounts of time and money to hack up an MS3, why not just go and get a Corvette? You will have the engine and transmission in a much better platform that you could never get in an MS3. The double a-arm suspension and rear mounted transaxle are two things the MS3 will never have.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
[quote author=QuickSpeed3 link=topic=134642.msg2895602#msg2895602 date=1233152210]

[/quote]what car

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=Boother link=topic=134642.msg2895618#msg2895618 date=1233152680]

Here is a great idea....instead of spending huge amounts of time and money to hack up an MS3, why not just go and get a Corvette? You will have the engine and transmission in a much better platform that you could never get in an MS3. The double a-arm suspension and rear mounted transaxle are two things the MS3 will never have.
[/quote]

Because that isn't really unique. That's just another corvette. I want something unique.

And you're wrong about it never having them. All it takes is work and time. Sure, they won't bolt right in, but remove the subfloor and build a mounting frame and they'll be in there.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
[quote author=QuickSpeed3 link=topic=134642.msg2895630#msg2895630 date=1233152892]

[/quote]

Because that isn't really unique. That's just another corvette. I want something unique.

And you're wrong about it never having them. All it takes is work and time. Sure, they won't bolt right in, but remove the subfloor and build a mounting frame and they'll be in there.
[/quote]there is a RWD SPEED3 RUNING 7'S WITH THE MZR DISI MOTOR

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=boostedminime link=topic=134642.msg2895643#msg2895643 date=1233153097]
[quote author=QuickSpeed3 link=topic=134642.msg2895630#msg2895630 date=1233152892]

[/quote]

[/quote]there is a RWD SPEED3 RUNING 7'S WITH THE MZR DISI MOTOR
[/quote]

True. However, that really isn't the same type of car i'm talking about building. I want a road-race car. Not a drag car.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
if there was a bolt on conversion for $3k to make it AWD (from MS6), i would pay it in a heartbeat, and i would learn to love the car more, i would modify it more.... as of now, i don't even want to do a full DP, cause it's wrong wheel drive :( ...

1 - 20 of 105 Posts