Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are peoples thoughts on getting rust proofing on the Mazda 3, or Mazda's in general? It seems like it would be a good idea if you are going to keep the car for a while, especially if you are in a colder climate where they put a lot of salt on the roads.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Dunno. I got to see the undercarriage of my car last night, and it was still spotless. This, and it's been raining like a SOB here.

No salt though.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Avante Mazda's rustproofing guarantee was for 10 years in writing, I couldn't pass it up so I opted for their "Platinum 2 Package" which included rustproofing, leather/fabric protection, sound deadening and paint protection.

I chose to have rustproofing done on my previous vehicles as well, a 97 Toyota RAV4 and a 94 Acrua Integra GS coupe, neither have a spot of rust to this day (my coworker bought both vehicles from me).

The only vehicle that hasn't been rustproofed is my dad's 98 VW Beetle only because there is a 10 year guarantee straight from the factory against the body rusting.

What's that adage about an ounce of prevention? Personally, I find rustproofing less of a "scam" than an extended warranty especially in our climate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much did you pay for the platinum 2 package? Is that the package where you go in for annual check-ups?

·
Registered
427 Posts
From the test results I've seen, there is little evidence that rustproofing actually does much to decrease rust. What you do get is:

1) It will cut down the noise in your wheelwells. Not much, maybe 1dB, but it is measurable.

2) You get an insurance policy against rust. So even if it doesn't decrease the probability of rust, if rust occurs, you can collect damages.

3) If the policy is transferrable, then it can increase the resale value of your vehicle.

20 odd years ago, cars were more susceptible to rust and rustproofing may have made more of a difference then. With present factory anti-rust treatments, few cars have much rust within the first several years. I live in a "salt" area and my non-rustproofed '97 Corolla doesn't have a trace of rust on it. If you look around in your local parking lots, odds are that you won't see many late 90's vehicles with rust.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bombadil said:
2) You get an insurance policy against rust. So even if it doesn't decrease the probability of rust, if rust occurs, you can collect damages.[endquote]

In my limited experience, the "damages" you will collect amount to getting your car re-rustproofed for free again.

Has anyone in the board actually had body damage from rust repaired due to the guarantee?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.