Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or the brake disks seem to start rusting easily? I mean, sometimes even if it's not raining but just humid, the next morning you get a really tiny coat of rust and it takes a few times breaking before the car feels normal again. Never seem rust appearing so fast.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yanno... mine sqeak the first time I break after the night. Been a lil windy here.

Ima guess the material they used for the brakes. Open air could oxidate it quicker.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yeah, when cars sit on the dealer lot, they are subjected to the.. what they call the "penny-rotor".

Looks so... cheap :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is totally normal. The rust is forming from the tiny particles of metal dust which is forms every time the brakes are used. I notice the same thing on my Boxster, and it will happen within about 12-24 hours of the last use of the car if there's enough humidity.

If you look at your rotors when you arrive home at night, they will probably shine, only to look nice and rusty by morning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Happens to my Legacy on all for wheels; right after I wash it - BAM! instant rust. After being driven a couple of miles it is good until the next washing.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yup, while I was visiting dealerships, it never failed to happen. I saw many if not all cars on the lots having some amount of rust on the rotors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry... this never happened on my "teg" as quickly as it does on my 3.

I am thankful that Devon from the forums recommended to me to paint the rotors and Calipers before winter.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
[quote author=honorablesauce link=topic=1019.msg1480513#msg1480513 date=1181660954]
Sorry... this never happened on my "teg" as quickly as it does on my 3.

I am thankful that Devon from the forums recommended to me to paint the rotors and Calipers before winter.

[/quote]

so what happens to painted rotors after u step on the brakes? :)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The rotors on my Z24 never rusted - not the stock ones or the powerstops that replaced them. It sat all last season from June till November and never showed any rust.

My motorcycle rotors are stainless steel and never rust.

It all depends on the nodular content of the rotor, the more ductile iron, the faster it will rust.

My MZ3 on the other hand, you can almost watch the rust form if you stare at it for 5 minutes. But the plus side to this is that the more iron, the better the rotor performs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts