Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard from a fairly reliable source that Jackson racing is looking at releasing a supercharger for the MZ3 2.3L. Something about a similar SC already on the market, just a matter of tuning and retrofitting a couple of parts. mmm mmm good!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Damn thats gonna be a long time!

Ive got word that Vf-Engineering will be making a Vortech-based supercharger for the 2.3L's. They have another project to be finished by early Feb so he said if they pick up the 2.3L it would be out by Fall.

www.vf-engineering.com

Edit: forgot link

·
Registered
239 Posts
I can't wait for a supercharger. More power, more power, more power. First things first, cat back exhaust, cai, better tires, then the world!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Totally agree wioth Solar. Putting chargers and nothing else. another straight line muncher. I know Ford owns Mazda, but can we stay away from Rustangs ideology?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
(spool up).. (switch gears) PPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH, try to catch me now :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
MMMmmm.....more power :D

Can we say zoom...Zoom...ZOOM! :twisted:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am very much so looking forward to a supercharger, however, I don't look forward to the possibility of a voided powertrain warranty. I looked at the screen and at dealer cost it was like $700US for a replacement power steering pump. NOT COOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Umm, what is the great fascination with superchargers in the N.Am. market? The rest of the world has pretty much discovered that a turbo can provide more power with no parasitic drag when not under boost. If you are truly intersted in a SC keep an eye on www.focaljet.com it is the Ford Focus site. If JR makes a SC for the 2.3 it will show up there first. I would think that it would be an easy switch to use a SC made for the Ford 2.3 on the Mazda 2.3 but until someone does the install you never know.
Cheers.
Tim

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Some people get the misconception that superchargers are safer for the engine. Yeah, its a lot easier to install and maintain, but nothing beats a turbo.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
n1smo said:
Pucsent said:
Totally agree wioth Solar. Putting chargers and nothing else. another straight line muncher. I know Ford owns Mazda, but can we stay away from Rustangs ideology?
The MZ3 is already a performer in the corners. The only thing lacking is power.
The same was said about the Mp3 - now Mazda has 2.3L 160/150 on the 3 and people are still unhappy.

Whatever the manufacturers do, some will be unhappy.

PS: I still enjoy my 130/1302.0L PRO and can't wait to get a 3 - even w/the 2.0L it should be fast enough.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I know, 160 in that small thing is enough, for now atleast. If you compare 0-60 times with the 3s and SE-R and SpecV, they are pretty similar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I understand how turbos work and I kinda understand how supachargers work.

Can someone elaborate and also engine longevity, which is better turbo or SC.? THNX.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
With proper maintanence, either FI would last at least 75K miles.

If we talk hands down, Turbo is the best. It gives you adjustablity. Its like a dimmer switch, press up for more, down for less. Takes time to boost, but full boost happens at 2500 rpm (good BB turbo, 60 trim) and hangs on all the way up.

A supercharger is off or on. BAM, full boost is at 1800 (typically) and holds till 3/4 and tapers off. I/C integration is costly.

Either way, it will make the 3 experience that much better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So vaBoom ....ohh and thanks for the replies.........when you say that either FI should last 75k.......or you talking about the piece of either SC or turbo or the engine itself......

what is proper maintenance........taking off the coil and cleaning it ?? I am learning and your expertise is grand.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Just the FI itself. The motor, if taken care of, will outlast the unit. Superchargers usually last 100K miles, but it really depends on the unit itself. I would refresh a turbo after 50K.

Proper maintanence will include: proper gapping of spark plugs, oil changes, belt changes (supercharger only), running high octane.. just to name a few. Just know that parts that are designed to last a long time, such as water pumps, timing chains and coilpacks will need to be changed earlier.

A well kept engine is a happy engine. With or without FI.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts